Investigation of Temperature-Induced Errors in XCT Metrology
Marko Katić, Nenad Ferdelji, and Danijel Šestan
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb
5 Ivana Lučića, Zagreb 10000, Croatia
The presented research shows the time dependent temperature distribution and thermal time constant within a typical industrial X-ray computed tomography (XCT) system used for dimensional metrology. Temperature effects can significantly affect measurement results of XCT scans either by directly changing the dimensions of the measurement object, or by indirectly changing the geometry of XCT scanner. In either case, the effect is not known well enough to be used for correction of measurement results or estimation of measurement uncertainty. In order to determine these effects, traceable temperature measurements were performed with a custom measurement system designed for this application. The influence of temperature fluctuations on length errors was determined by correlation of the measured temperature fluctuations with measurement deviations of a reference standard in repeated CT scans at different X-ray power levels. After experimental determination of X-ray focal spot displacement due to thermal expansion, a simple mathematical model of X-ray source displacement as a function of its temperature was developed and validated for a selected X-ray power level.
-  W. Sun, S. Brown, and R. Leach, “An overview of industrial X-ray computed tomography,” National Physical Laboratory, 2012.
-  L. De Chifre, S. Carmignato, J. P. Kruth, R. Schmitt, and A. Weckenmann, “Industrial Applications of Computed Tomography,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.63, pp. 655-677, 2014.
-  S. Wang, “Investigation of X-ray computed tomography for dimensional measurement,” Proc. of Joint Special Interest Group Meeting between euspen and ASPE Advancing Precision in Additive Manufacturing, Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France, AM19109, September 2019.
-  H. Fujimoto, M. Abe, S. Osawa, O. Sato, and T. Takatsuji, “Development of Dimensional X-Ray Computed Tomography,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.5, pp. 567-571, 2015.
-  O. Sato, H. Fujimoto, S. Osawa, M. Abe, and T. Takatsuji, “Simple Interim Check of Measuring Performance for X-Ray Computed Tomography Used as Coordinate Measuring System,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.5, pp. 525-529, 2015.
-  F. Zanini, M. Sorgato, E. Savio, and S. Carmignato, “Advancements in the accuracy investigation of X-ray computed tomography characterization of additively manufactured metal surfaces,” Proc. of Joint Special Interest Group Meeting between euspen and ASPE Advancing Precision in Additive Manufacturing, Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France, P8.01, September 2019.
-  G. Baršić, A. Pilipović, and M. Katić, “Reproducibility of 3D printed structures,” Proc. of Euspen’s 17th Int. Conf. & Exhibition, Hannover, ICE17144, May 2017.
-  A. Thompson, I. Maskery, and R. K. Leach, “X-ray computed tomography for additive manufacturing: a review,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.27, No.7, 072001, 2016.
-  P. Shah, R. Racasan, and P. Bills, “Comparison of different additive manufacturing methods using computed tomography,” Case Studies in Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol.6, Part B, pp. 69-78, 2016.
-  J. P. Kruth, M. Bartscher, S. Carmignato, R. Schmitt, L. De Chiffre, and A. Weckenmann, “Computed tomography for dimensional metrology,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, No.2, pp. 821-842, 2011.
-  M. Ferrucci et al., “Towards geometrical calibration of X-ray computed tomography systems – a review,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.26, 092003, 2015.
-  V. Mudronja, M. Katic, and V. Simunovic, “Realization of the highest level of traceability in Croatian National Laboratory for Length,” Trans. of FAMENA, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 37-44, 2014.
-  M. Katic and G. Barsic, “Comparison of different voxel size calibration strategies,” Proc. of the 9th Conf. on Industrial Computed Tomography (iCT), pp. 13-15, 2019.
-  H. Villarraga-Gómez, C. Lee, and S. Stuart, “Dimensional metrology with X-ray CT: a comparison with CMM,” Precision Engineering, Vol.51, pp. 291-307, 2018.
-  J. Illemann, D. Schulz, and U. Neuschaefer-Rube, “Radiographic scale calibration for traceability of dimensional CT,” Proc. of 12th European Conf. on Non-Destructive Testing (ECNDT 2018), 2018.
-  M. Katić, G. Barsic, and M. Mihaljevic, “Comparison of results obtained using Coordinate Measuring Machine, Computed Radiography and Computed Tomography,” Proc. of Annual Meeting on Computed Tomography, pp. 132-134, 2016.
-  B. Muralikrishnan et al., “X-ray computed tomography instrument performance evaluation: Detecting geometry errors using a calibrated artifact,” Proc. SPIE 10991, Dimensional Optical Metrology and Inspection for Practical Applications VIII, 109910R, 2019.
-  N. Flay, W. Sun, S. Brown, R. Leach, and T. Blumensath, “Investigation of the focal spot drift in industrial cone-beam X-ray computed tomography,” Proc. of the DIR2015, 18069, 2015.
-  Y. Sun, Y. Hou, F. Zhao, and J. Hu, “A calibration method for misaligned scanner geometry in cone-beam computed tomography,” NDT & E Int., Vol.39, No.6, pp. 499-513, 2006.
-  F. Vogeler, W. Verheecke, A. Voet, J. Kruth, and W. Dewulf, “Positional Stability of 2D X-ray Images for Computer Tomography,” Proc. of Int. Symp. on Digital Industrial Radiology and Computed Tomography (DIR 2011), pp. 20-22, 2011.
-  G. Probst, J. P. Kruth, and W. Dewulf, “Compensation of drift in an industrial computed tomography system,” Proc. of 6th Conf. on Industrial Computed Tomography (iCT 2016), id69, 2016.
-  M. Katic, G. Barsic, D. Sestan, and N. Ferdelji, “Temperature effects in X-ray computed tomography,” Proc. of euspen’s 19th Int. Conf. & Exhibition, 19191, 2019.
-  K. Matsuzaki, O. Sato, H. Fujimoto, M. Abe, and T. Takatsuji, “A Study of Mechanism of Bi-Directional Measurement Influenced by Material on Dimensional Measurement Using X-Ray CT,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.5, pp. 707-715, 2017.
-  F. P. Incropera, D. P. DeWitt, T. L. Bergman, and A. S. Lavine, “Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer,” Wiley, 2006.