Positioning Performance Evaluation for Light-Weight Rotary Stage CFRP Application
Makoto Kato*,, Yasuhiro Kakinuma*, Yuki Shirakawa**, Kazunori Iijima**, and Yasusuke Iwashita**
3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
**FANUC Corporation, Minamitsuru, Japan
New energy saving methods are required in the industrial sector to address global climate change and resource depletion. Carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) has attracted considerable attention as a structural material that can improve energy efficiency by weight reduction. The application of CFRP to machine tools has already been realized; however, the dynamic characteristics of the position control system for CFRP machine tools have not been investigated. In this study, the mechanical properties affecting the positioning performance were experimentally evaluated using a rotary stage that could be switched to different structural materials. This study can be useful as a guideline for position control systems and the mechanical design of a CFRP stage and contribute toward achieving higher energy efficiency.
-  Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, “The Cabinet Approve the FY 2017 Annual Report on Energy,” Japan’s Energy White Paper 2018, pp. 136-143, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  H. Ohtani, “Development of Energy-Saving Machine Tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.4, pp. 608-614, 2017.
-  X. Zhang, Y. Wang, B. Wan, G. Cai, and Y. Qu, “Effect of specimen thicknesses on water absorption and flexural strength of CFRP laminates subjected to water or alkaline solution immersion,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol.208, pp. 314-325, 2019.
-  C. Wu, Y. Gao, J. Fang, E. Lund, and Q. Li, “Discrete topology optimization of ply orientation for a carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) laminate vehicle door,” Materials & Design, Vol.128, pp. 9-19, 2017.
-  W. Tao, Z. Liu, P. Zhu, C. Zhu, and W. Chen, “Multi-scale design of three dimensional woven composite automobile fender using modified particle swarm optimization algorithm,” Composite Structures, Vol.181, pp. 73-83, 2017.
-  H. C. Kim, D. K. Shin, J. J. Lee, and B. Jun, “Crashworthiness of aluminum/CFRP square hollow section beam under axial impact loading for crash box application,” Composite Structures, Vol.112, pp. 1-10, 2014.
-  D. David, P. Gérald, and W. Matthias, “Crash Testing of a CFRP Commercial Aircraft Sub-Cargo Fuselage Section,” Procedia Structural Integrity, Vol.2, pp. 2198-2205, 2016.
-  M. A. Muflikhun, T. Yokozeki, and A. Takahira, “The strain performance of thin CFRP-SPCC hybrid laminates for automobile structures,” Composite Structures, Vol.220, pp. 11-18, 2019.
-  C. Li, L. Ke, J. He, Z. Chen, and Y. Jiao, “Effects of mechanical properties of adhesive and CFRP on the bond behavior in CFRP-strengthened steel structure,” Composite Structures, Vol.211, pp. 163-174, 2019.
-  D. G. dos Santos, R. J. C. Carbas, E. A. S. Marques, and L. F. M. da Silva, “Reinforcement of CFRP joints with fibre metal laminates and additional adhesive layers,” Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol.165, pp. 386-393, 2019.
-  P. Galvez, A. Quesada, M. A. Martinez, J. Abenojar, M. J. L. Boada, and V. Diaz, “Study of the behaviour of adhesive joints of steel with CFRP for its application in bus structures,” Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol.129, pp. 41-46, 2017.
-  H. Ko, S. Matthys, A. Palmieri, and Y. Sato, “Development of a simplified bond stress-slip model for bonded FRP-concrete interfaces,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol.68, pp. 142-157, 2014.
-  D.-J. Kwon, J.-H. Kim, S.-M. Park, I.-J. Kwon, K. L. DeVries, and J.-M. Park, “Damage sensing, mechanical and interfacial properties of resins suitable for new CFRP rope for elevator applications,” Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol.157, pp. 259-265, 2019.
-  H.-C. Möhring, C. Brecher, E. Abele, J. Fleischer, and F. Bleicher, “Materials in machine tool structures,” CIRP Annals, Vol.64, pp. 725-748, 2015.
-  S.-K. Cho, H.-J. Kim, and S.-H. Chang, “The application of polymer composites to the table-top machine tool components for higher stiffness and reduced weight,” Composite Structures, Vol.93, pp. 492-501, 2011.
-  M. Yang, L. Gui, Y. Hu, G. Ding, and C. Song, “Dynamic analysis and vibration testing of CFRP drive-line system used in heavy-duty machine tool,” Results in Physics, Vol.8, pp. 1110-1118, 2018.
-  K. G. Bang and D. G. Lee, “Design of carbon fiber composite shafts for high speed air spindles,” Composite Structures, Vol.55, pp. 247-259, 2002.
-  T. Kizaki, T. Fujii, M. Iwama, M. Shiraishi, N. Sugita, and S.-H. Ahn, “Design of a CFRP-elastomer composite with high stiffness and damping capability,” CIRP Annals, Vol.67, pp. 413-418, 2018.
-  R. S. Altı ntaş, M. Kahya, and H. Ünver, “Modelling and optimization of energy consumption for feature based milling,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.86, pp. 3345-3363, 2016.
-  Y. Iwashita, K. Iijima, and N. Sonoda, “Precision Improvement in the Continuous Path Control of Direct Drive Rotary Table System for Machine Tools by Identifying the Vibration Modes with Higher Resonance Frequencies than the Control Cycle’s Defined Nyquist Frequency, Japan,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.83, No.11, 2017 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.