Applicability of Diamond-Coated Tools for Ball End Milling of Sintered Tungsten Carbide
Haruhiko Suwa*,, Soushi Sakamoto**, Masafumi Nagata***, Kazuhiro Tezuka***, and Tetsuo Samukawa*
*Faculty of Science and Engineering, Setsunan University
17-8 Ikeda-naka-machi, Neyagawa, Osaka 572-8508, Japan
**A.L.M.T. Corp., Hyogo, Japan
***DIJET, Co., Ltd., Osaka, Japan
Sintered tungsten carbide which has high hardness and high heat resistance, has been widely used in molds and dies. Research on the development of a cutting technology for sintered tungsten carbide (sintered WC-Co alloy) has been pursued mainly with the use of a turning process. We focused on building an efficient milling method for sintered tungsten carbide by using diamond-coated ball end tools, and have investigated their basic properties under specific cutting conditions. This study extends our previous work by enhancing cutting distance in the milling of sintered tungsten carbide, especially that with a “fine” WC grain. The surface roughness of cut workpieces is evaluated from the point of view of the quality of surface roughness. A series of cutting experiments under different cutting conditions were carried out, and the possibility of deriving a suitable cutting condition for the ball end milling of sintered tungsten carbide is discussed.
-  K. Nakamoto, T. Aoyama, K. Katahira, P. Fonda, and K. Yamazaki, “A Study of nanometric surface generation on tungsten carbide using a micro polycrystalline diamond end mill,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.4, pp. 547-553, 2012.
-  S. Wang, A. Goto, and A. Nakata, “Prevention of material deterioration in ECM of sintered carbide with Iron Ions (2nd Report),” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.5, pp. 829-834, 2017.
-  H. Saito, A. Iwabuchi, and T. Shimizu, “Effects of Co content and WC grain size on wear of WC cemented carbide,” Wear, Vol.261, No.2, pp. 126-132, 2006.
-  S. Tsurimoto, T. Moriwaki, and M. Nagata, “Machinability of CBN tool in turning of tungsten carbide,” Key Eng. Materi., Vols.523-524, pp. 70-75, 2012.
-  Y. P. Delgado, P. De Baets, K. Bonny, V. C. Olalla, J. Vleugels, B. Lawers, and M. H. Staia, “Influence of wire-EDM on high temperature sliding wear behavior of WC10Co (Cr/V) cemented carbide,” Int. J. of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, Vol.41, pp. 198-209, 2013.
-  H. Suzuki, T. Kimura, Y. Yamamoto, T. Moriwaki, T. Okino, Y. Hijikata, I. Goto, T. Goto, T. Ono, Y. Goto, H. Isono, and N. Takahashi, “Micro milling of hard material with micro milling tool,” Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (euspen), pp. 577-580, 2005.
-  H. Suzuki, T. Moriwaki, T. Okino, and Y. Ando, “Development of ultrasonic vibration assisted polishing machine for micro aspheric die and mold,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, pp. 385-388, 2006.
-  T. Miyamoto, J. Fujiwara, and K. Wakao, “Influence of WC and Co in cutting cemented carbides with PCD and CBN Tools,” Key Eng. Mater., Vols.407-408, pp. 428-431, 2009.
-  T. Moriwaki, S. Tsurimoto, K. Osakada, and M. Nagata, “Machining of sintered tungsten carbide for die and mold,” Adv. Mater. Res., Vol.1017, pp. 319-322, 2014.
-  A. M. N. Abang Kamaruddin, T. Ueda, T. Furumoto, and T. Koyano, “Cutting performance of CBN and diamond tools in dry turning of cemented carbide,” Bulletin of the JSME Mechanical Eng. J., Vol.3, 15-00526, 2016.
-  J. Fujiwara, K. Wakao, and T. Miyamoto, “Influence of tungsten-carbide and cobalt on tool wear in cutting of cemented carbides with polycrystalline diamond tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.4, pp. 433-438, 2013.
-  H. Suzuki, M. Okada, K. Okada, and Y. Ito, “Precision cutting of ceramics with milling tool of single crystalline diamond,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 26-32, 2015.
-  M. Okada, A. Yoshida, T. Furumoto, H. Watanabe, N. Asakawa, and M. Otsu, “Mechanisms and characteristics of direct cutting of tungsten carbide using a diamond-coated carbide end mill,” Int. J. Manufacturing Technology, Vol.86, Nos.5-8, pp. 1827-1839, 2016.
-  M. Okada, R. Suzuki, H. Watanabe, M. Otsu, and T. Miura, “Cutting Characteristics of Direct Milling of Cemented Tungsten Carbides Using Diamond-Coated Carbide End Mills with Untreated and Treated Cutting Edge,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13., No.1, pp. 58-66, 2019.
-  S. Sakamoto, H. Suwa, and T. Moriwaki, “Wear properties of diamond-coated ball end tools in milling of tungsten carbide,” Proc. of the 9th Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century (LEM21), 050, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.