Formal Tools for Management of Manufacturing Systems: A Multi Agents System Approach
Doriana M. D’Addona*, and Alessandro A. Bruzzone**
*Department of Chemical, Materials and Industrial Production Engineering, University of Naples Federico II
P.le Tecchio 80, I-80125 Naples, Italy
**Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica, Energetica, Gestionale e dei Trasporti, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
To overcome the consequences of the 2008 crisis on the real sector, especially manufacturing, Industry 4.0 gives guidelines to drive production by emphasizing technological innovations, such as industrial internet, cloud manufacturing, etc. The proposed paper focuses on cognitive manufacturing within the framework of the emergent synthesis paradigm. Specifically, the structuring process by which the manufacturing assets are organized to provide the finished goods is analyzed. The study is carried out by considering the analogies between manufacturing and other inventive processes supported by formal tools such as formal languages, semantic webs, and multi agent system.
-  A. Das and J. Jayaram, “Socio-technical perspective on manufacturing synergies,” Int. J. of Production Research, pp. 169-205, 2010.
-  S. Hirata and M. Yasuoka, “Consideration of Tacit Knowledge Sharing by Automation for Reinforcement of Human Abilities: Empirical Comparison of Conservation Techniques Between Japan and Denmark,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.4, pp. 553-563, 2018.
-  K. Yamada, K. Ohashi, T. Ishida, and T. Sugino, “Special Issue on Progress of Manufacturing Technology,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.5, p. 679, 2018.
-  W. ElMaraghy, H. ElMaraghy, T. Tomiyama, and L. Monostori, “Complexity in engineering design and manufacturing,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 793-814, 2012.
-  Y. Koren, U. Heisel, F. Jovane, T. Moriwaki, G. Pritschow, G. Ulsoy, and H. Van Brussel, “Reconfigurable manufacturing systems,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.48, No.2, pp. 527-540, 1999.
-  K. Shirase and K. Nakamoto, “Simulation Technologies for the Development of an Autonomous and Intelligent Machine Tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.1, pp. 6-15, 2013.
-  A. Bruzzone and D. M. D’Addona, “New perspectives in manufacturing: an assessment for an advanced reconfigurable machining system,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.67, pp. 552-557, 2018.
-  J. Wan, H. Cai, and K. Zhou, “Industrie 4.0: Enabling Technologies,” Proc. of 2015 Int. Conf. on Intelligent Computing and Internet of Things, Harbin, China, pp. 1-6, 2015.
-  K. Thoben, S. Wiesner, and T. Wuest, “‘Industrie 4.0’ and Smart Manufacturing – A Review of Research Issues and Application Examples,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 4-16, 2017.
-  H. Hibino and M. Nakano, “Mini Special Issue on Smart Manufacturing,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, p. 3, 2017.
-  A. L. Ramos, V. Ferreira, and J. Barceló, “Model-Based Systems Engineering: An Emerging Approach for Modern Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C, Vol.42, No.1, pp. 101-11, 2011.
-  M. Ang Jr., “Special Issue on Mechatronics,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.6, p. 891, 2011.
-  K. Ueda, “Synthesis and Emergence,” 1st Int. Workshop on Emergent Synthesis – IWES 99, Kobe, pp. 7-12, 1999.
-  K. Ueda, A. Markus, L. Monostori, H. J. J. Kals, and T. Arai, “Emergent synthesis methodologies for manufacturing,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.50, No.2, pp. 535-541, 2001.
-  N. Chomsky, “Three models for the description of language,” IRE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol.2, pp. 113-124, 1956.
-  P. Wegner, “The Vienna Definition Language,” ACM Computing Surveys, Vol.4, Vol.1, pp. 5-63, 1972.
-  A. Matta, M. Rossi, P. Spoletini, D. Mandrioli, Q. Semeraro, and T. Tolio, “FM for FMS: Lessons learned while applying formal methods to the study of flexible manufacturing systems,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.4711, pp. 366-380, 2007.
-  Y. Zhang and Y. Zhou, “Transparent computing: Spatio-temporal extension on von Neumann architecture for cloud services,” Tsinghua Science & Technology, Vol.18, pp. 10-21, 2013.
-  J. Jackendoff, “Semantic Interpretation in Generative Grammar,” Cambridge: Mass., MIT Press, 1972.
-  L. Monostori, J. Váncza, and S. R. T. Kumara, “Agent-based systems for manufacturing,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.55, No.2, pp. 697-720, 2006.
-  A. Giret and V. Botti, “Engineering Holonic Manufacturing Systems,” Computers in Industry, Vol.60, pp. 428-440, 2009.
-  P. Valckenaers, H. Van Brussel, L. Bongaerts, and J. Wyns, “Holonic Manufacturing Systems,” Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 191-201, 1997.
-  N. Sugimura and HMS Japanese member, “Holonic Manufacturing System (HMS),” Proc. of 2000 Pacific Conf. on Manufacturing, Vol.2, pp. 989-996, 2000.
-  Y. Tanimizu, “Flexible Multi-Layered Dynamic Supply Chain Models with Cooperative Negotiation,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 128-135, 2012.
-  K. Tanaka, S. Gu, and J. Zhang, “Designing Multi-Agent Simulation with Big Time Series Data for a Global Supply Chain System,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.4, pp. 632-638, 2016.
-  H. Reza Naji, L. Etzkorn, and B. Earl Wells, “Applying multi agent techniques to reconfigurable systems,” Advances in Engineering Software, Vol.35, No.7, pp. 401-413, 2004.
-  I. Rudas, “Intelligent Engineering Systems,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.4, No.4, pp. 237-239, 2000.
-  H. Van Brussel, J. Wyns, P. Valckenaers, L. Bongaerts, and P. Peeters, “Reference architecture for holonic manufacturing systems: PROSA,” Computers in Industry, Vol.37, pp. 255-274, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.