Generation of a High-Precision Digital Elevation Model for Fields in Mountain Regions Using RTK-GPS
Liangliang Yang*,, Hao Guo**, Shuming Yang**, Yohei Hoshino*, Soichiro Suzuki*, Dehua Gao**, and Ying Cao*
*Kitami Institute of Technology
165 Koen-cho, Kitami-shi, Hokkaido 090-8507, Japan
**Ningxia University, Yinchuan, China
In modern agriculture, many advanced automated devices are used on farms. To improve the working efficiency of agricultural vehicles, fields are expected to be pre-leveled, because the vehicles work more effectively on a flat field. Leveling a field requires the current field elevation map. Some farmers in Japan have begun to use high-precision real-time kinematic Global Positioning System (RTK-GPS)-based self-steering tractors in the fields. This study uses the RTK-GPS information from a self-steering tractor system to generate a digital elevation model (DEM) especially in mountain regions where the fields are not flat. In addition, all of the information is from the self-steering system with the result that farmers can use the method of this study without additional instruments. However, the GPS receiver sometimes cannot obtain high-quality signals from satellites in mountain regions. Therefore, this study focuses on how to create a high-precision DEM even when a GPS signal is unavailable. It proposes a dynamic interpolation method for generating a DEM. In addition, a test was conducted in a field in a mountain region. The test results show that the dynamic interpolation method can provide an accuracy of less than 0.03 m in the test field for creating a DEM.
-  K. Hoshino and K. Hamamatsu, “Three-Dimensional Input System Employing Pinching Gestures for Robot Design,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 378-384, 2017.
-  K. Kawagishi, S. Umetani, K. Tanaka, E. Ametani, Y. Morimoto, and K. Takasugi, “Development of Four-Axis 3D Printer with Fused Deposition Modeling Technology,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 278-286, 2017.
-  H. Tsukagoshi, N. Arai, I. Kiryu, and A. Kitagawa, “Tip Growing Actuator with the Hose-Like Structure Aiming for Inspection on Narrow Terrain,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 516-522, 2017.
-  L. Bruzzone, P. Fanghella, and G. Quaglia, “Experimental Performance Assessment of Mantis 2, Hybrid Leg-Wheel Mobile Robot,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 396-403, 2017.
-  Y. Hada, M. Nakao, M. Yamada, H. Kobayashi, N. Sawasaki, K. Yokoji, S. Kanai, F. Tanaka, H. Date, S. Pathak, A. Yamashita, M. Yamada, and T. Sugawara, “Development of a Bridge Inspection Support System Using Two-Wheeled Multicopter and 3D Modeling Technology,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.12, No.3, pp. 593-606, 2017.
-  K. Hosaka and T. Tomizawa, “A Person Detection Method Using 3D Laser Scanner – Proposal of Efficient Grouping Method of Point Cloud Data,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.27, No.4, pp. 374-381, 2015.
-  R. Takemura and G. Ishigami, “Traversability-Based RRT* for Planetary Rover Path Planning in Rough Terrain with LIDAR Point Cloud Data,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.29, No.5, pp. 838-846, 2017.
-  J. L. Bamber, S. Ekholm, and W. B. Krabill, “A New, High-Resolution Digital Elevation Model of Greenland Fully Validated with Airborne Laser Altimeter Data,” J. of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, Vol.106, No.B4, pp. 6733-6745, 2001.
-  M. Pejić, V. Ogrizović, B. Božić, B. Milovanović, and S. Marošan, “A Simplified Procedure of Metrological Testing of the Terrestrial Laser Scanners,” Measurement, Vol.53, pp. 260-269, 2014.
-  P. Hartzell, C. Glennie, K. Biber, and S. Khan, “Application of Multispectral LiDAR to Automated Virtual Outcrop Geology,” ISPRS J. of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol.88, pp. 147-155, 2014.
-  P. Gamba and B. Houshmand, “Digital Surface Models and Building Extraction: A Comparison of IFSAR and LIDAR Data,” IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 1959-1968, 2000.
-  B. Chen, W. F. Krajewski, R. Goska, and N. Young, “Using LiDAR surveys to document floods: A case study of the 2008 Iowa flood,” J. of Hydrology, Vol.553, pp. 338-349, 2017.
-  B. B. Shrestha, H. Sawano, M. Ohara, and N. Nagumo, “Improvement in Flood Disaster Damage Assessment Using Highly Accurate IfSAR DEM,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.11, No.6, pp. 1137-1149, 2016.
-  J. R. Janke, “Using Airborne LiDAR and USGS DEM Data for Assessing Rock Glaciers and Glaciers,” Geomorphology, Vol.195, pp. 118-130, 2013.
-  A. Dehvari and R. J. Heck, “Removing Non-Ground Points from Automated Photo-Based DEM and Evaluation of its Accuracy with LiDAR DEM,” Computers & Geosciences, Vol.43, pp. 108-117, 2012.
-  S. Li, R. A. MacMillan, D. A. Lobb, B. G. McConkey, A. Moulin, and W. R. Fraser, “Lidar DEM error analyses and topographic depression identification in a hummocky landscape in the prairie region of Canada,” Geomorphology, Vol.129, Nos.3-4, pp. 263-275, 2011.
-  R. M. Langridge, W. F. Ries, T. Farrier, N. C. Barth, N. Khajavi, and G. P. De Pascale, “Developing sub 5-m LiDAR DEMs for forested sections of the Alpine and Hope faults, South Island, New Zealand: Implications for structural interpretations,” J. of Structural Geology, Vol.64, pp. 53-66, 2014.
-  M. P. Smith, A-X. Zhu, J. E. Burt, and C. Stiles, “The Effects of DEM Resolution and Neighborhood Size on Digital Soil Survey,” Geoderma, Vol.137, Nos.1-2, pp. 58-69, 2006.
-  N. Polat, M. Uysal, and A. S. Toprak, “An Investigation of DEM Generation Process based on LiDAR Data Filtering, Decimation, and Interpolation Methods for an Urban Area,” Measurement, Vol.75, pp. 50-56, 2015.
-  M. Mokarram and M. Hojati, “Morphometric Analysis of Stream as One of Resources for Agricultural Lands Irrigation Using High Spatial Resolution of Digital Elevation Model (DEM),” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol.142, Part A, pp. 190-200, 2017.
-  I. A. Thomas, P. Jordan, O. Shine, O. Fenton, P. E. Mellander, P. Dunlop, and P. N. C. Murphy, “Defining Optimal DEM Resolutions and Point Densities for Modelling Hydrologically Sensitive Areas in Agricultural Catchments Dominated by Microtopography,” Int. J. of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, Vol.54, pp. 38-52, 2017.
-  N. Pineux, J. Lisein, G. Swerts, C. L. Bielders, P. Lejeune, G. Colinet, and A. Degré, “Can DEM time Series Produced by UAV be used to Quantify Diffuse Erosion in an Agricultural Watershed?,” Geomorphology, Vol.280, pp. 122-136, 2017.
-  J. M. McKinion, J. L. Willers, and J. N. Jenkins, “Comparing high density LIDAR and medium resolution GPS generated elevation data for predicting yield stability,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol.74, No.2, pp. 244-249, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.