MPCC-Based Set Point Optimisation for Machine Tools
Titus Haas*,**,, Sascha Weikert**, and Konrad Wegener*
*Institut für Werkzeugmaschinen und Fertigung (IWF), ETH Zürich
Leonhardstrasse 21, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
**inspire AG, Zürich, Switzerland
Numerical control code is typically used for manufacturing a workpiece using machine tools. Most state-of-the-art approaches decouple the set point optimisation into two steps: the geometry and the feed rate optimisation that does not necessarily result in time-optimal set points for the desired geometry. Given the originally programmed geometry through the numerical control code, dynamic constraints of the machine tool, and maximum permissible contour error for the optimisation, a model predictive contouring control based set point optimisation approach is developed to generate time-optimal set points for machine tools globally. A suitable error definition and its linearisation are used whereby the optimisation problem can be represented by a quadratic programming problem with linear constraints. Compared to most state-of-the-art methods, a direct approach is presented and no previous geometry optimisation step is required. Depending on the demands of accuracy, different maximum contour error constraints and penalisation as well as various maximum permissible axis velocities and accelerations are presented and tested on a test bench. The method is shown to be adaptable to different demands on the set points, and the contour errors can be affected by either the constraints or penalising factors.
-  F. Sellmann, “Exploitation of tolerances and quasi-redundancy for set point generation,” Ph.D. thesis, ETH Zürich, 2014.
-  Bosch Rexroth AG, “Rexroth IndraMotion MTX 09VRS – Programmierhandbuch,” 2002.
-  Dr. Johannes Heidenhain GmbH, “Benutzer-Handbuch TNC 410, TNC 426, TNC 430,” 1999.
-  Siemens AG, “Grundlagen Programmierhandbuch,” 2010.
-  G. Yu, “Optimale Steuerung der Bewegung und der Geschwindigkeit für das drei- und fünfachsige Fräsen,” Ph.D. thesis, ETH Zürich, 1996.
-  M. Hadorn, “Optimal Set Point Generation for Machine Tools under Nonlinear Constraints,” Ph.D. thesis, ETH Zürich, 2007.
-  V. Pateloup, E. Duc, and P. Ray, “Bspline approximation of circle arc and straight line for pocket machining,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.42, No.9, pp. 817-827, 2010.
-  X. Beudaert, S. Lavernhe, and C. Tournier, “5-axis local corner rounding of linear tool path discontinuities,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.73, pp. 9-16, 2013.
-  X. Beudaert, P.-Y. Pechard, and C. Tournier, “5-Axis tool path smoothing based on drive constraints,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.51, No.12, pp. 958-965, 2011.
-  J. Huang, X. Du, and L.-M. Zhu, “Real-time local smoothing for five-axis linear toolpath considering smoothing error constraints,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.124, pp. 67-79, 2018.
-  T. Haas, “Diskrete Geometrieoptimierung und Interpolations-methoden für die Laserschneidbearbeitung,” Master’s thesis, ETH Zürich, 2012.
-  F. Sellmann, T. Haas, H. Nguyen, S. Weikert, and K. Wegener, “Geometry Optimisation for 2D Cutting: A Quadratic Programming Approach,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.2, pp. 272-281, 2015.
-  J. E. Bobrow, S. Dubowsky, and J. S. Gibson, “Time-Optimal Control of Robotic Manipulators Along Specified Paths,” Int. J. of Robotic Research, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 244-258, 1985.
-  C.-M. Yuan, K. Zhang, and W. Fan, “Time-optimal interpolation for CNC machining along curved tool pathes with confined chord error,” J. of Systems Science and Complexity, Vol.26, No.5, pp. 836-870, 2013.
-  K. Zhang, C.-M. Yuan, and X.-S. Gao, “Efficient algorithm for time-optimal feedrate planning and smoothing with confined chord error and acceleration,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.66, Nos.9-12, pp. 1685-1697, 2013.
-  D. Constantinescu and E. A. Croft, “Smooth and time-optimal trajectory planning for industrial manipulators along specified paths,” J. of Robotic Systems, Vol.17, No.5, pp. 233-249, 2000.
-  J. Dong, P. Ferreira, and J. Stori, “Feed-rate optimization with jerk constraints for generating minimum-time trajectories,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1941-1955, 2007.
-  K. Zhang, C.-M. Yuan, X.-S. Gao, and H. Li, “A greedy algorithm for feedrate planning of CNC machines along curved tool paths with confined jerk,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.28, No.4, pp. 472-483, 2012.
-  F. Braghin, F. Cheli, S. Melzi, and E. Sabbioni, “Race driver model,” Computers and Structures, Vol.86, pp. 1503-1516, 2008.
-  M. Duan and C. Okwudire, “Minimum-time cornering for CNC machines using an optimal control method with NURBS parameterization,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.85, No.5, pp. 1405-1418, 2016.
-  S. Tajima and B. Sencer, “Kinematic corner smoothing for high speed machine tools,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.108, pp. 27-43, 2016.
-  Q. Zhang, X.-S. Gao, H.-B. Li, and M.-Y. Zhao, “Minimum time corner transition algorithm with confined feedrate and axial acceleration for nc machining along linear tool path,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.89, No.1, pp. 941-956, 2017.
-  P. Bosetti and E. Bertolazzi, “Feed-rate and trajectory optimization for CNC machine tools,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.30, No.6, pp. 667-677, 2014.
-  A. Liniger, A. Domahidi, and M. Morari, “Optimization Based Autonomous Racing of 1:43 Scale RC Cars,” Optim. Control Appl. Meth., Vol.36, pp. 628-647, 2014.
-  Siemens AG, “Integrate Run MyVNCK Reference,” 2013.
-  D. Mayne, J. Rawlings, C. Rao, and P. Scokaert, “Constrained model predictive control: Stability and optimality,” Automatica, Vol.36, No.6, pp. 789-814, 2000.
-  C. E. García, D. M. Prett, and M. Morari, “Model predictive control: Theory and practice – A survey,” Automatica, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 335-348, 1989.
-  G. Takács and B. Rohal’-Ilkiv, “Basic MPC Formulation,” Springer, pp. 207-251, 2012.
-  D. Lam, C. Manzie, and M. Good, “Model predictive contouring control,” 49th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control (CDC), pp. 6137-6142, December 2010.
-  A. Domahidi, A. Zgraggen, M. Zeilinger, M. Morari, and C. Jones, “Efficient Interior Point Methods for Multistage Problems Arising in Receding Horizon Control,” IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control (CDC), pp. 668-674, Maui, HI, USA, December 2012.
-  A. Domahidi, “FORCES: Fast Optimization for Real-time Control on Embedded Systems,” https://www.embotech.com/forces-pro [Accessed April 8, 2019]
-  Dr. Johannes Heidenhain GmbH, “Encoders-For Machine Tool Inspection and Acceptance Testing,” September 2017.
-  M. Ungers, U. Thombansen, W. Fiedler, and P. Abels, “Real-Time Analysis of Robot Movements via Velocity Measurement for the Application of Laser Material Processing,” Proc. of LAMP2015 – the 7th Int. Congress on Laser Advanced Materials Processing, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.