Chatter Suppression in Parallel Turning Assisted with Tool Swing Motion Provided by Feed System
Shuntaro Yamato*1,, Toshiki Okuma*1, Kenichi Nakanishi*2, Junji Tachibana*3, Norikazu Suzuki*4, and Yasuhiro Kakinuma*1
*1Department of System Design Engineering, Keio University
3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
*2Nakamura-Tome Precision Industry Co., Ltd., Hakusan, Japan
*3Industrial Automation Business Company, OMRON Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
*4Department of Mechanical Aerospace Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
Parallel turning technology has been attracting attention as an important technology to enhance the productivity of multitasking machine tools. To maximize the productivity advantage of parallel turning, chatter avoidance or suppression is one of the most noteworthy concerns. In this study, a novel chatter suppression technique using tool swing motion is provided by a feed drive system. The optimal design methodology of the tool swing motion for effective chatter suppression is also introduced based on its analogy with the spindle speed variation technique under the shared-surface parallel turning and rigid-tool and flexible-workpiece assumptions. The proposed method was evaluated with regard to the chatter stabilizing performance and workpiece runout as compared to conventional equal pitch turning and unequal pitch turning for chatter suppression. As a result, the proposed tool swing parallel turning exhibited a high chatter stabilizing performance without eccentricity of the workpiece and enhanced surface quality, although particular swing marks were left on the machined surface.
-  E. Budak and E. Ozturk, “Dynamics and Stability of Parallel Turning Operations,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.60, No.1, pp. 383-386, 2011.
-  E. Ozturk, A. Comak, and E. Budak, “Tuning of Tool Dynamics for Increased Stability of Parallel (Simultaneous) Turning Processes,” J. Sound Vib., Vol.360, pp. 17-30, 2016.
-  M. J. Reith, D. Bachrathy, and G. Stepan, “Optimal Detuning of a Parallel Turning System—Theory and Experiments,” J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control, Vol.139, No.1, pp. 014503-014503-7, 2016.
-  C. Brecher, A. Epple, S. Neus, and M. Fey, “Optimal Process Parameters for Parallel Turning Operations on Shared Cutting Surfaces,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.95, pp. 13-19, 2015.
-  M. Azvar and E. Budak, “Multi-Dimensional Chatter Stability for Enhanced Productivity in Different Parallel Turning Strategies,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.123, pp. 116-128, 2017.
-  S. Sakata, T. Kadota, Y. Yamada, K. Nakanishi, H. Yoshioka, N. Suzuki, and Y. Kakinuma, “Chatter Avoidance in Parallel Turning With Unequal Pitch Angle Using Observer-Based Cutting Force Estimation,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.140, No.4, pp. 044501-044501-7, 2018.
-  E. Shamoto, T. Mori, K. Nishimura, T. Hiramatsu, and Y. Kurata, “Suppression of Regenerative Chatter Vibration in Simultaneous Double-Sided Milling of Flexible Plates by Speed Difference,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.59, No.1, pp. 387-390, 2010.
-  E. Budak, A. Comak, and E. Ozturk, “Stability and High Performance Machining Conditions in Simultaneous Milling,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.62, No.1, pp. 403-406, 2013.
-  U. Karagüzel, E. Uysal, E. Budak, and M. Bakkal, “Analytical Modeling of Turn-Milling Process Geometry, Kinematics and Mechanics,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.91, pp. 24-33, 2015.
-  A. Comak and Y. Altintas, “Mechanics of Turn-Milling Operations,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.121, pp. 2-9, 2017.
-  E. Budak, “An Analytical Design Method for Milling Cutters With Nonconstant Pitch to Increase Stability, Part 1: Theory,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.125, No.1, pp. 29-34, 2003.
-  N. Suzuki, R. Ishiguro, and T. Kojima, “Design of Irregular Pitch End Mills to Attain Robust Suppression of Regenerative Chatter,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.65, No.1, pp. 129-132, 2016.
-  P. Albertelli, S. Musletti, M. Leonesio, G. Bianchi, and M. Monno, “Spindle Speed Variation in Turning: Technological Effectiveness and Applicability to Real Industrial Cases,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.62, No.1-4, pp. 59-67, 2012.
-  G. Urbikain, D. Olvera, L. N. L. de Lacalle, and A. Elías-Zúñiga, “Spindle Speed Variation Technique in Turning Operations: Modeling and Real Implementation,” J. Sound Vib., Vol.383, pp. 384-396, 2016.
-  M. Zatarain, I. Bediaga, J. Muñoa, and R. Lizarralde, “Stability of Milling Processes with Continuous Spindle Speed Variation: Analysis in the Frequency and Time Domains, and Experimental Correlation,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.57, No.1, pp. 379-384, 2008.
-  S. C. Lin, R. E. DeVor, and S. G. Kapoor, “The Effects of Variable Speed Cutting on Vibration Control in Face Milling,” J. Eng. Ind., Vol.112, No.1, pp. 1-11, 1990.
-  J. Munoa, X. Beudaert, Z. Dombovari, Y. Altintas, E. Budak, C. Brecher, and G. Stepan, “Chatter Suppression Techniques in Metal Cutting,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.65, No.2, pp. 785-808, 2016.
-  E. Al-Regib, J. Ni, and S.-H. Lee, “Programming Spindle Speed Variation for Machine Tool Chatter Suppression,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.43, No.12, pp. 1229-1240, 2003.
-  A. Otto and G. Radons, “Application of Spindle Speed Variation for Chatter Suppression in Turning,” CIRP J. Manuf. Sci. Technol., Vol.6, No.2, pp. 102-109, 2013.
-  A.-C. Lee, and C.-S. Liu, “Analysis of Chatter Vibration in the End Milling Process,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.31, No.4, pp. 471-479, 1991.
-  Y. Altintas, “Manufacturing Automation,” Cambrige University Press, pp. 125-190, 2012.
-  C. Mitsantisuk, M. Nandayapa, K. Ohishi, and S. Katsura, “Design for Sensorless Force Control of Flexible Robot by Using Resonance Ratio Control Based on Coefficient Diagram Method,” Automatika – J. Control. Meas. Electron. Comput. Commun., Vol.54, No.1, pp. 62-73, 2013.
-  Y. Yamada and Y. Kakinuma, “Sensorless Cutting Force Estimation for Full-Closed Controlled Ball-Screw-Driven Stage,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.87, No.9-12, pp. 3337-3348, 2016.
-  Y. Yamada, T. Kadota, S. Sakata, J. Tachibana, K. Nakanishi, M. Sawada, and Y. Kakinuma, “Integrated Chatter Monitoring Based on Sensorless Cutting Force/Torque Estimation in Parallel Turning,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 215-225, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.