Monitoring of Rotational Vibration in Tap and Endmill Processes with a Wireless Multifunctional Tool Holder System
Ryo Matsuda*,, Masatoshi Shindou*, Toshiki Hirogaki**, and Eiichi Aoyama**
*Research and Development Group, Yamamoto Metal Technos Co., Ltd.
4-7 Setoguchi, 2-chome, Hirano-ku, Osaka 547-0034, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Doshisha University, Kyotanabe, Japan
We have developed a novel wireless multifunctional tool holder system to monitor the process vibrations of a rotating machining tool. The primary feature of the developed holder system is its ability to detect vibrations in three directions, two of which lie along the orthogonal axes, with the remaining direction of detection occurring along the rotational axis. This study aims to evaluate the vibrations induced by tapping and end-milling processes. It is demonstrated that the developed holder system enables the stick-slip vibrations induced by tapping and the chatter vibrations of end-milling to be monitored. Consequently, the developed holder system is found to be effective at estimating and improving the machining conditions that use a machining center.
-  M. Shindou, H. Kodama, T. Hirogaki, and E. Aoyama, “Monitoring of End-Mill Process Based on Infrared Imagery with a High Speed Thermography,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.625, pp. 213-218, 2014.
-  N. Sugita, T. Osa, and M. Mitsuishi, “Analysis and estimation of cutting-temperature distribution during end milling in relation to orthopedic surgery,” Medical Engineering and Physics, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 101-107, 2009.
-  T. Ueda, M. Sato, A. Hosokawa, and M. Ozawa, “Development of infrared radiation pyrometer with optical fibers – Two-color pyrometer with non-contact fiber coupler,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 69-72, 2008.
-  T. Yashiro, T. Ogawa, and H. Sasahara, “Temperature measurement of cutting tool and machined surface layer in milling of CFRP,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.70, pp. 63-69, 2013.
-  C. H. Lauro and S. L. M. R. Filho, “Monitoring the temperature of the milling process using infrared camera,” Scientific Research and Essays, Vol.7, No.23, pp. 1112-1120, 2013.
-  P. Zgórniak and A. Grdulska, “Investigation of Temperature Distribution during Milling Process of Az91hp Magnesium Alloys,” Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 33-40, 2012.
-  G. Quintana and J. Ciurana, “Chatter in machining processes: A review,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.51, No.5, pp. 363-376, 2011.
-  J. Monnin, F. Kuster, and K. Wegener, “Optimal control for chatter mitigation in milling – Part 1: Modeling and control design,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.24, pp. 156-166, 2014.
-  S. Turner, D. Merdol, Y. Altintas, and K. Ridgway, “Modelling of the stability of variable helix end mills,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, No.9, pp. 1410-1416, 2007.
-  Y. Kakinuma, Y, Sudo, and T. Aoyama, “Detection of chatter vibration in end milling applying disturbance observer,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 109-112, 2011.
-  C. Eksioglu, Z. M. Kilic, and Y. Altintas, “Discrete-Time Prediction of Chatter Stability, Cutting Forces, and Surface Location Errors in Flexible Milling Systems,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.134, No.6, 061006, 2012.
-  E. Shamoto and K. Akazawa, “Analytical prediction of chatter stability in ball end milling with tool inclination,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, No.1, pp. 351-354, 2009.
-  E. Budak and Y. Altintas, “Analytical Prediction of Chatter Stability in Milling – Part II: Application of the General Formulation to Common Milling Systems,” J. of Dynamic System, Measurement, and Control, Vol.120, No.1, pp. 31-36, 1998.
-  Y. Altintas, “Analytical Prediction of Three Dimensional Chatter Stability in Milling,” JSME Int. J. Series C Mechanical Systems, Machine Elements and Manufacturing, Vol.44, No.3, pp. 717-723, 2001.
-  B. Yin and R. Han, “Investigation of the torque characteristics in vibration tapping of hardened steel,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, No.6, pp. 623-630, 2006.
-  D. Zhang and D. Chen, “Relief-face friction in vibration tapping,” Int. J. of Mechanical Sciences, Vol.40, No.12, pp. 1209-1222, 1998.
-  R. Matsuda, M. Shindou, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and T. Furuki, “Monitoring Method of Process Temperature and Vibration of Rotating Machining Tool with a Wireless Communication Holder System,” Materials Science Forum, Vol.874, pp. 519-524, 2016.
-  A. Messaoud and C. Weihs, “Monitoring a deep hole drilling process by nonlinear time series modeling,” J. of Sound and Vibration, Vol.321, Nos.3-5, pp. 620-630, 2009.
-  M. T. Bengis and A. Akay, “Stick-slip oscillations: Dynamics of friction and surface roughness,” J. of Acoustical Society of America, Vol.105, No.1, pp. 194-205, 1999.
-  E. Budak and Y. Altintas, “Analytical prediction of chatter stability in milling – part I: general formulation,” J. of Dynamics Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.120, No.1, pp. 22-30, 1998.
-  H. Nakagawa, Y. Kurita, K. Ogawa, Y. Sugiyama, and H. Hasegawa, “Experimental Analysis of Chatter Vibration in End-Milling Using Laser Doppler Vibrometers,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.2, No.6, pp. 431-438, 2008.