Effect of Crystal Structure on Fabrication of Fine Periodic Surface Structures with Short Pulsed Laser
Shuhei Kodama*,, Shinya Suzuki**, Akihiro Shibata**, Keita Shimada*, Masayoshi Mizutani*, and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa*
6-6-01 Aramaki-Aza-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Dexerials Corporation, Tagajo, Japan
In recent years, nanostructures have been required for industry and medical services, to perform functions such as reduction in friction, control of wettability, and enhancement in biological affinity. Ultrashort pulsed lasers have been applied to meet these demands, and have been actively studied both experimentally and theoretically in terms of phenomena and principles. In this study, to clarify the phenomenon of the fabrication of laser-induced periodic surface structures (LIPSS), and its application to industry, experiments were conducted on SUS304, titanium, and nickel-phosphorus by a short pulsed laser that has a longer pulse duration, higher cost-effectiveness, and higher stability than ultrashort pulsed lasers. The results confirmed that while LIPSS were fabricated on Ti and Ni-P workpieces, a uniform fine periodic structure was not fabricated on the whole irradiated surface of SUS304, and crystal grain boundaries appeared with low energy density and irradiation number because SUS304 is an alloy composed of Fe, Cr, and Ni. Further, the short pulsed laser has a low power and long pulse duration, inducing the thermal effect. We clarified the effect of crystal structure on fabricating fine periodic surface structures with short pulsed laser.
-  A. Mizuno, T. Honda, J. Kiuchi, Y. Iwai, N. Yasumaru, and K. Miyazaki, “Friction Properties of the DLC Film with Periodic Structures in Nano-scale,” Tribology Online, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 44-48, 2006.
-  T. Katou, N. Abe, M. Yamanaka, and K. Matsumoto, “Development of Femto-Second Pulsed Laser Machining System for Low Friction Metal parts,” Laser Original, Vol.36, No.3, pp. 144-147, 2008.
-  N. Yasumaru, K. Miyazaki, and J. Kiuchi, “Control of Tribological Properties of Hard Thin Films with Femtosecond-Laser-Induced Nanostructuring,” Laser Reiview, Vol.37, No.7, pp. 504-509, 2009.
-  T. Shinanaga, M. Tsukamoto, T. Kawa, P. Chen, A. Nagai, and T. Hanawa, “Formation of periodic nanostructures using a femtosecond laser to control cell spreading on titanium,” Appl. Phys. B, Vol.119, pp. 493-496, 2015.
-  T. Shinanaga, M. Tsukamoto, A. Nagai, K. Yamashita, T. Hanawa, N. Matsushita, G. Xie, and N. Abe, “Cell spreading on titanium dioxide film formed and modified with aerosol beam and femtosecond laser,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.288, pp. 649-653, 2014.
-  T. Shinanaga and M. Tsukamoto, “Creation of New Functional Biomaterials by Periodic Nanostructures Formation with Femtosecond Laser,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.81, No.8, pp. 726-730, 2015.
-  A. Y. Vorobyev and C. Guo, “Effects of nanostructure-covered femtosecond laser-induced periodic surface structures on optical absorptance of metals,” Appl. Phys. A, Vol.86, pp. 321-324, 2009.
-  S. Sawada, K. Kawahara, T. Ninomiya, K. Kurosawa, and A. Yokotani, “Precise Periodic Structuring with Femtosecond-laser,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.4, pp. 554-558, 2003.
-  Y. Minami and K. Toyoda, “Incident-Angle Dependency of Laser-induced Surface Ripples on Metals and Semiconductors,” Laser Original, Vol.28, No.12, pp. 824-828, 2000.
-  G. Miyaji, K. Miyazaki, K. Zhang, T. Yoshifuji, and J. Fujita, “Mechanism of femtosecond-laser-induced periodic nanostructure formation on crystalline silicon surface immersed in water,” Optics Express, Vol.20, No.14, pp. 14848-14856, 2012.
-  K. Miyazaki and G. Miyaji, “Nanograting formation through surface plasmon fields induced by femtosecond laser pulses,” J. of Applied Physics, Vol.114, No.153108, pp. 1-6, 2013.
-  T. Tomita, “Laser Ablation: From the Viewpoint of Solid State Physics,” J. of Plasma and Fusion Research, Vol.89, No.7, pp. 493-499, 2013.
-  F. Costache, M. Henyk, and J. Reif, “Surface patterning on insulators upon femtosecond laser ablation,” Applied Surface Science, Vols.208-209, pp. 486-491, 2003.
-  M. Hashida, “Fundamental study on improvement of processing efficiency of femtosecond laser,” General Research and Development Subsidies of Fiscal 2007, AF-2007210, pp. 160-164, 2007.
-  M. Hashida, M. Fujita, and Y. Setsuhara, “Material Processing with Femtosecond Laser,” Laser Ablation and Material Processing, Vol.31, No.8, pp. 621-628, 2002.
-  M. Fujita and M. Hashida, “Femtosecond-Laser Processing,” J. Plasma. Fusion Res., Vol.81, pp. 195-201, 2005.
-  M. Hashida, M. Shimizu, and S. Sakabe, “Nano-Abration with Short Pulse Laser,” The Review of Laser Engineering, Vol.33, pp. 514-518, 2005.
-  S. Kodama, A. Shibata, S. Suzuki, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Fabrication and Control of Fine Periodic Surface Structures by Short Pulsed Laser,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.4, pp. 639-646, 2016.
-  X. Sedao, C. Maurice, F. Garrelie, J. P. Colombier, S. Reynaud, R. Quey, and F. Pigeon, “Influence of crystal orientation on the formation of femtosecond laser-induced periodic surface structures and lattice defects accumulation,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.104, No.171605, pp. 1-4, 2014.
-  K. Kobayashi, K. Nishimoto, and K. Ikeuchi, “The elements of material joining engineering,” Sanpo Pubrications, p. 125, 2000.
-  J. Yan, T. Asami, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Response of machining-damaged single-crystalline silicon wafers to nanosecond pulsed laser irradiation,” Semicond. Sci. Technol., Vol.22, pp. 392-395, 2007.
-  M. Tsukamoto, D. Tone, T. Shibayanagi, S. Motokoshi, M. Fujita, and N. Abe, “Variation of Metal Surface Topography by Short Pulse Laser Irradiation in Vicinity of Threshold of Periodic Microstructures Formation,” The Review of Laser Engineering, Vol.39, No.9, pp. 706-710, 2011.
-  S. Sakabe, M. Hashida, S. Tokita, S. Namba, and K. Okamuro, “Mechanism for self-formation of periodic grating structures on a metal surface by a femtosecond laser pulse,” Physical Review B, Vol.79, No.033409, pp. 1-4, 2009.
-  K. Okamoto, M. Hashida, Y. Miyasaka, Y. Ikuta, S. Tokita, and S. Sakabe, “Laser fluence dependence of periodic grating structures formed on metal surfaces under femtosecond laser pulse irradiation,” Physical Review B, Vol.82, No.165417, pp. 1-5, 2010.
-  H. Ito, T. Hashimoto, and M. Kunieda, “Anisotropy found in material removal rate of laser beam processing of monocrystalline silicon,” Proc. of 2007 JSPE Autumn Conf., pp. 965-966, 2007.
-  D. V. Abramov, A. F. Galkin, M. N. Gerke, S. V. Zhirnova, and E. L. Shamanskaya, “Femtosecond Laser-Induced Formation of Surface Structures on Silicon and Glassy Carbon Surfaces,” Physics Procedia, Vol.12, pp. 24-28, 2011.
-  Q. L. Xiong, Z. Li, and T. Kitamura, “Effect of Crystal Orientation on Femtosecond Laser-Induced Thermomechanical Responses and Spallation Behaviors of Copper Films,” Scientific Reports, Vol.7, No.9218, pp. 1-14, 2017.
-  K. Watanabe, Y. Ishizaka, I. Fukumoto, E. Ohmura, and I. Miyamoto, “Fusing- and Vaporizing-Process of Metal and Semiconductor Due to Ultra-Short Pulsed Laser,” Proc. of the National Meeting of Japan Welding Society, Vol.64, pp. 26-27, 1999.