Proposal for the Design of Personalization Procedure
Kazuki Kaneko, Yusuke Kishita, and Yasushi Umeda
Department of Precision Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
The personalization of products and services is expected to become an indispensable feature of manufacturing. Because the concept of personalization ranges over a variety of domains from the manufacturing of a prosthetic foot to a web recommendation, there exist no commonly applicable design methodologies for product personalization. The purpose of this research is to propose methods of personalization. Therefore, this paper is focused on designing procedures of personalization, which include preparation, readout, design, production and provision, use, and feedback. For supporting the design of personalization procedure, we developed ten personalization strategies, a step-flow model, and a design procedure. Finally, the advantages of this method are investigated through a case study.
-  World Commission on Environment and Development, “Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future,” 1987.
-  S. Kara, S. Ibbotson, and B. Kayis, “Sustainable product development in practice: an international survey,” J. Manuf. Technol. Manag., Vol.25, pp. 848-872, 2014.
-  United Nations, “Sustainable Development Goals: 17 Goals to Transform Our World.” https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/ [Accessed May 21, 2018].
-  F. T. Piller and M. M. Tseng, “Handbook of Research in Mass Customization and Personalization,” World Scientific, 2010.
-  J. Sung, R. E. Grinter, and H. I. Christensen, “‘Pimp My Roomba’: Designing for Personalization,” Proc. of SIGCHI Conf. Hum. Factors Comput. Syst., pp. 193-196, 2009.
-  T. Sakao and M. Fargnoli, “Customization in ecodesign: A demand-side approach bringing new opportunities?,” J. Ind. Ecol., Vol.14, pp. 529-532, 2010.
-  J. Wind and A. Rangaswamy “Customerization: The next revolution in mass customization.” J. Interactive Mark., Vol.15, pp. 13-32, 2001.
-  K. Kwon and C. Kim, “How to design personalization in a context of customer retention: Who personalizes what and to what extent?,” Electron. Commer. Res. Appl., Vol.11, pp. 101-116, 2012.
-  Y. Koren, “The Global Manufacturing Revolution,” Wiley, 2010.
-  J. Spallek and D. Krause, “Process Types of Customisation and Personalisation in Design for Additive Manufacturing Applied to Vascular Models,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.50, pp. 281-286, 2016.
-  K. Kaneko, Y. Kishita, and Y. Umeda, “Toward Developing a Design Method of Personalization: Proposal of a Personalization Procedure,” Proc. of 25th CIRP Life Cycle Eng. Conf., 2018.
-  F. S. Fogliatto, and G. J. C. da Silveira, “Mass customization: A method for market segmentation and choice menu design,” Int. J. Prod. Econ., Vol.111, pp. 606-622, 2008.
-  H. Fan and M. S. Poole, “What Is Personalization? Perspectives on the Design and Implementation of Personalization in Information Systems,” J. Organ. Comput. Electron. Commer., Vol.16, pp. 179-202, 2006.
-  J. F. Pane, E. D. Steiner, M. D. Baird, and L. S. Hamilton, “Continued Progress: Promising Evidence on Personalized Learning,” RAND Corporation, 2015.
-  P. Nieuwenhuis, “Micro Factory Retailing: An Alternative, More Sustainable Automotive Business Model,” IEEE Eng. Manag. Rev., Vol.46, pp. 39-46, 2018.
-  S. H. Huang, Y. I. Yang, and C. H. Chu, “Human-centric design personalization of 3D glasses frame in markerless augmented reality,” Adv. Eng. Informatics, Vol.26, pp. 35-45, 2012.
-  A. Starke, M. Willemsen, and C. Snijders, “Effective User Interface Designs to Increase Energy-efficient Behavior in a Rasch-based Energy Recommender System,” Proc. of Elev. ACM Conf. Recomm. Syst., pp. 65-73, 2017.
-  P. Campigotto, C. Rudloff, M. Leodolter, and D. Bauer, “Personalized and Situation-Aware Multimodal Route Recommendations: The FAVOUR Algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst., Vol.18, pp. 92-102, 2017.
-  “Personalized Medicine – The path forward,” McKinsey and Company, 2013.
-  F. De Keyzer, N. Dens, and P. De Pelsmacker, “Is this for me? How Consumers Respond to Personalized Advertising on Social Networking Sites,” J. Interact. Advert., Vol.15, pp. 124-134, 2000.
-  A. Sunikka and J. Bragge, “What Who and Where Insights Into Personalization,” Proc. of 41st Hawaii Int. Conf. Syst. Sci., pp. 1-10, 2008.
-  M. Boehm and O. Thomas, “Looking beyond the rim of one’s teacup: A multidisciplinary literature review of Product-Service Systems in Information Systems, Business Management, and Engineering & Design,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.51, pp. 245-250, 2013.
-  A. Tukker and U. Tischner, “Product-services as a research field: past, present and future. Reflections from a decade of research,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.14, pp. 1552-1556, 2006.
-  A. Tukker, “Product services for a resource-efficient and circular economy – A review,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.97, pp. 76-91, 2015.
-  W. Reim, V. Parida, and D. Örtqvist, “Product-Service Systems (PSS) business models and tactics – A systematic literature review,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.97, pp. 61-75, 2015.
-  K. Kimita, Y. Shimomura, and T. Arai, “Evaluation of customer satisfaction for PSS design,” J. Manuf. Technol. Manag., Vol.20, pp. 654-673, 2009.
-  W. Song and T. Sakao, “A customization-oriented framework for design of sustainable product/service system,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.140, pp. 1672-1685, 2017.
-  A. Elgammal, M. Papazoglou, B. Krämer, and C. Constantinescu, “Design for Customization: A New Paradigm for Product-Service System Development,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.64, pp. 345-350, 2017.
-  H. Meier, R. Roy, and G. Seliger, “Industrial Product-Service systems-IPS2,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.59, pp. 607-627, 2010.
-  F. F. Reichheld, “Loyalty-based management,” Harv. Bus. Rev., Vol.71, pp. 64-73, 1993.
-  A. Ansari and C. F. Mela, “E-Customization,” J. Mark. Res., Vol.40, No.2, pp. 131-145, 2005.
-  A. Fels, B. Falk, and R. Schmitt, “User-driven Customization and Customer Loyalty: A Survey,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.60, pp. 410-415, 2017.
-  J. Manyika, M. Chui, J. Bughin, R. Dobbs, P. Bisson, and A. Marrs, “Disruptive technologies: Advances that will transform life, business, and the global economy,” McKinsey Global Insitute, 2013.
-  A. Tricoli, N. Nasiri, and S. De, “Wearable and Miniaturized Sensor Technologies for Personalized and Preventive Medicine,” Adv. Funct. Mater., Vol.27, pp. 1-19, 2017.
-  C. Tan, S. J. Hu, H. Chung, K. Barton, C. Piya, K. Ramani, and M. Banu, “Product personalization enabled by assembly architecture and cyber physical systems,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.66, pp. 33-36, 2017.
-  C. Yang, S. Lan, W. Shen, G. Q. Huang, X. Wang, and T. Lin, “Towards product customization and personalization in IoT-enabled cloud manufacturing,” Cluster Comput., Vol.20, pp. 1717-1730, 2017.
-  Y. Koren, S. J. Hu, P. Gu, and M. Shpitalni, “Open-architecture products,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.62, pp. 719-729, 2013.
-  M. Poulin, B. Montreuil, and A. Martel, “Implications of personalization offers on demand and supply network design: A case from the golf club industry,” Eur. J. Oper. Res., Vol.169, pp. 996-1009, 2006.
-  T. Tomiyama, P. Gu, Y. Jin, D. Lutters, C. Kind, and F. Kimura, “Design methodologies: Industrial and educational applications,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.58, pp. 543-565, 2009.
-  Amazon Handmade, https://www.amazon.com/Handmade/ [Accessed May 21, 2018]
-  Y. Shimomura, T. Hara, and T. Arai, “A unified representation scheme for effective PSS development,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.58, pp. 379-382, 2009.
-  D. Chen, S. Heyer, S. Ibbotson, K. Salonitis, J. G. Steingrímsson, and S. Thiede, “Direct digital manufacturing: Definition, evolution, and sustainability implications,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.107, pp. 615-625, 2015.