One Action Press Forming of Helix Bevel Gear by Using Multi-Cylinder Press and Die Heating System
Katsuaki Nakamura, Hiroshi Koresawa, and Hiroyuki Narahara
Kyushu Institute of technology
680-4 kawazu, Iizuka-shi, Fukuoka 820-8502, Japan
In the case of a complex shaped helix bevel gear, the forging of complete gear tips is very difficult to achieve. In almost all cases, tooth profile is finished by cutting machine from simple shaped forged parts, therefore requiring considerable machining time and cost. However, there are many approaches to forging. Forging is mainly classified as hot and cold forging, and uses a single motion press. In the case of hot forging takeoff of products from die is difficult by the cooling shrinkage from die and accuracy of products is lower level than cold forging. In addition, in the case of cold forging, a complicated shape is difficult to achieve based on the lack of ductility of the materials. To realize a helix bevel gear using a single forging operation, we applied a tool heating system and three-axis forging press. The tool heating system is applied to prevent a temperature decrease in the material by contact between the tool and forging material during the forging process. Further, to optimize the forging direction and timing, we used a three-axis forging press. We confirmed good forging capability of this special forging process, as well as the high precision of the forged parts. Moreover, through the thermo-mechanical control of steel and the tool temperature, the forged parts showed good mechanical properties, such as high hardness.
-  K. Yasa, “Determining the deformation pressure in warm forging,” Metallurgia and Metal Forming, pp. 164-171, 1974.
-  K. Yasa and Y. Murata, “Mechanical properties and microstructure of wam-extruded carbon steel,” Metallurgia and Metal Forming, pp. 290-297, 1974.
-  K. Kawamoto, T. Yoneyama, and M. Okada, “Back-Pressure Forging Using a Servo Die Cushion,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 184-192, 2015.
-  A. Schöch, A. Salvadori, I. Germann, S. Balemi, C. Bach, A. Ghiotti, S. Carmignato, A. L. Maurizio, and E. Savio, “High-Speed Measurement of Complex Shaped Parts at Elevated Temperature by Laser Triangulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.5, pp. 558-566, 2015.
-  N. Shiraisi, Y. Nakajima, K. Nakamura, Y. Azuma, K. Uchio, N. Ashie, and R. Matubara, “Near Net Forging of copper alloys,” Conf. on Die and Mould Technology, C-6, November 2001.
-  K. Nakamura, Y. Miyahara, and K. Neishi, “Isothermal forming properties of fine grain magnesium alloys treated by STSP,” The Proc. of the 56th Japanese Joint Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 107-108, 2005.
-  Y. Miyahara, K. Neishi, and K. Nakamura, “Influence of forging temperature on compression test of fine grain magnesium alloys by STSP,” The Proc. of the 56th Japanese Joint Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 109-110, 2005.
-  K. Nakamura, “Improvement of micro structure and mechanical properties of fine grain magnesium alloys treated by STSP using isothermal forging,” The Proc. of the 57th Japanese Joint Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 419-420, 2006.
-  K. Nakamura, “Study of isothermal forging of fine grain magunesium alloys,” The Proc. of the 58th Japanese Joint Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 267-268, 2007.
-  K. Nakamura, “Rapid Continuous Metal Grain Refinement process CREO and in additional grain refinement by Isothermal Forging,” 2007 Int. Conf. on Computer Engineering and Systems (ICCES’07), pp. 1948-1957, 2007.
-  K. Nakamura and H. Suzuki, “New sheet metal production process from rod by angular extrusion,” Conf. on Die and Mould Technology, Vol.25, No.12, pp. 092-093, 2010.
-  K. Nakamura, Y. Sugimoto, H. Era, and H. Suzuki, “Study of isothermal forging using grain refinement Al-Mg alloy,” Conf. on Die and Mould Technology, Vol.26, No.7, pp. 018-019, 2011.
-  K. Nakamura and H. Suzuki, “Significant improvement of plastic formability by using Die Heating system,” Conf. on Die and Mould Technology, Vol.28, No.07, pp. 116-117, 2013.
-  K. Nakamura, H. Koresawa, and H. Narahara, “One action press forming of helix bebel gear by using multi cylinder press and die heating system,” Conf. on Die and Mould Technology, Vol.32, No.08, pp. 098-099, 2017.
-  K. Nakamura, N. Emi, K. Neishi, Y. Miyahara, K. Kaneko, M. Nakagaki, and Z. Horita, “Isothermal compression prpperties of fine grain magunesiumu alloys treated by STSP,” The Proc. of the 2005 Japanese Spring Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 303-304, 2005.
-  Y. Furuya, S. Torizuka, E. Takeuchi, M. Bacher-Höchst, and M. Kuntz, “Ultrasonic fatigue testing on notched and smooth specimens of ultrafine-grained steel,” Materials & Design, Vol.37, pp. 515-520, 2012.
-  K. Niendorf, D. Canadinc, H. J. Maier, and I. Karaman, “The role of heat tratment on the cyclic stress-strain response of ultrafeine-grained interstitial-free steel,” Int. J. of Fatigue, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 426-436, 2008.
-  F. C. Zhang, T. S. Wang, P. Zhang, C. L. Zheng, B. Lv, M. Zhang, and Y. Z. Zheng, “A novel method for the development of a low-temperature bainitic microstructure in the suface layer of low-carbon steel,” Scripta Materialia, Vol.59, No.3, pp. 294-296, 2008.
-  S. J. Huang, V. I. Semenov, L. S. Shuster, and P. C. Lin, “Tribological properties of the low-carbon steels with different micro-structure processed by heat treatment and severe plastic deformation,” Wear, Vol.271, Nos.5-6, pp. 705-711, 2011.
-  H. Liu, X. Jin, H. Dong, and J. Shi, “Martensitic microstructural transformation from the hot stamping, quenching and partitioning process,” Material Characterization, Vol.62, pp. 223-227, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.