Machine Tool Service for Mass-Production Machining Systems
Makoto Fujishima, Takashi Hoshi, Hiroki Nakahira, Masafumi Takahashi, and Masahiko Mori
DMG MORI Co., Ltd.
2-35-16 Meieki, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 450-0002, Japan
Mass-production machining systems that are comprised of machine tools are often configured in series by dividing the machining processes in order to manage the large production volume. This indicates that if one of the machines stops owing to a mechanical malfunction, the entire production line needs to be stopped. Thus, machine tools in mass-production systems are required to be highly reliable and easy to maintain. Predictive maintenance, which enables operators to detect any signs of failure in the machine tool components, needs to be performed for the machines as well. In this work, various approaches for the improvement of the maintainability of machine tools used in a mass-production system are reported.
-  H. Meier, R. Roy, and G. Seliger, “Industrial product-service systems – IPS2,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, Issue 2, pp. 607-627, 2010.
-  S. Spiewak and M. Szafarczyk, “A predictive monitoring and diagnosis system for manufacturing,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.40, Issue 1, pp. 400-403, 1991.
-  F. J. A. M. van Houten and F. Kimura, “The virtual maintenance system: a computer-based support tool for robust design, product monitoring, fault diagnosis and maintenance planning,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.49, Issue 1, pp. 91-94, 2000.
-  P. F. Cunha, J. A. Caldeira Duarte, and L. Alting, “Development of a Productive Service Module Based on a Life Cycle Perspective of Maintenance Issues,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.53, Issue 1, pp 13-16, 2004.
-  H. Komoto and T. Tomiyama, “Design of Competitive Maintenance Service for Durable and Capital Goods Using Life Cycle Simulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol.,” Vol.3, No.1, pp. 63-70, 2009.
-  B. Iung, M. Véron, M. C. Suhner, and A. Muller, “Integration of Maintenance Strategies into Prognosis Process to Decision-Making Aid on System Operation,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.54, Issue 1, pp. 5-8, 2005.
-  K.-D. Thoben, S. Wiesner, and T. Wuest, “Industrie 4.0 and Smart Manufacturing – A Review of Research Issues and Application Examples,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 4-16, 2017.
-  L. Monostori, B. Kádár, T. Bauernhansl, S. Kondoh, S. Kumara, G. Reinhart, O. Sauer, G. Schuh, W. Sihn, and K. Ueda, “Cyber-physical systems in manufacturing,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.65, Issue 2, pp. 621-641, 2016.
-  S. Wiesner, E. Marilungo, and K.-D. Thoben, “Cyber-Physical Product-Service Systems – Challenges for Requirements Engineering,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 17-28, 2017.
-  M, Nakamura, S. Makihara, J. Sugiura, and Y. Kamioka, “Dynamic Optimization Production System Based on Simulation Integrated Manufacturing and its Application to Mass Production,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 56-66, 2017.
-  R. Roy, R. Stark, K. Tracht, S. Takata, and M. Mori, “Continuous maintenance and the future – Foundations and technological challenges,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.65, Issue 2, pp. 667-688, 2016.
-  D. Kokuryo, T. Kaihara, S. S. Kuik, S. Suginouchi, and K, Hira, “Value Co-Creative Manufacturing with IoT-Based Smart Factory for Mass Customization,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 509-518, 2017.
-  M. Mori, M. Fujishima, M. Komatsu, B. Zhao, and Y. Liu, “Development of remote monitoring and maintenance system for machine tools,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, Issue 1, pp. 433-436, 2008.
-  DMGMORI website i50 (n.d.), https://us.dmgmori.com/products/milling-machines/horizontal-machining-centers/i-series/i-50 [accessed October 3, 2017]
-  MTConnect Standard (n.d.), http://www.mtconnect.org/standard-documents/ [accessed October 3, 2017]
-  M. Fujishima, M. Mori, K. Nishimura, M. Takayama, and Y. Kato, “Study of sensing technologies for machine tools,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.14, pp. 71-75, 2016.
-  S. Orhan, N. Aktürk, and V. Çelik, “Vibration monitoring for defect diagnosis of rolling element bearings as a predictive maintenance tool: Comprehensive case studies,” NDT & E Int., Vol.39, Issue 4, pp. 293-298, 2006.
-  Y. Altintas and M. Weck, “Chatter Stability of Metal Cutting and Grinding,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.53, Issue 2, pp. 619-642, 2004.
-  C. Brecher, P. Hirsch, and M. Weck, “Compensation of Thermo-elastic Machine Tool Deformation Based on Control internal Data,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.53, Issue 1, pp. 299-304, 2004.
-  H. Tachiya, H. Hirata, T. Ueno, Y. Kaneko, K. Nakagaki, and Y. Ishino, “Evaluation of and Compensation for Thermal Deformation in a Compact CNC Lathe,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.2, pp. 137-146, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.