Wheel Working Surface Topography and Grinding Force Distributions in Creep Feed Grinding
Masakazu Fujimoto*,†, Susumu Ohishi*, Ryosuke Hinaga**, and Yuki Kubo***
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Aoyama Gakuin University
5-10-1 Fuchinobe, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa 252-5258, Japan
**NEC Solution Innovators, Ltd., Tokyo, Japan
***Kubo Kenzaiseisakusyo Corp., Tokyo, Japan
This paper discusses the topographic features of wheel working surfaces and the grinding force distributions in wheel-work contact zones of creep feed grinding. Grain cutting edge wear is observed by a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and quantitatively evaluated in terms of attritious wear flat percentage, which is able to characterize the wear behavior. By measuring the normal and tangential grinding force distribution in the grinding zone, the distribution form of grinding forces can be approximated to be triangular and the grinding forces increased rapidly due to workpiece burn. It is shown that the variation of the grinding force and the distribution are closely related to cutting edge wear characteristics.
-  S. Malkin and C. Guo, “Grinding Technology Theory and Applications of Machining with Abrasives 2nd Edition,” Ind. Press, pp. 141-142, 2016.
-  R. Hood, P. Cooper, D. K. Aspinwall, S. L. Soo, and D. S. Lee, “Creep feed grinding of γ-TiAl using single layer electroplated diamond superabrasive wheels,” CIRP J. Manuf. Sci. Technol., Vol.13, pp. 36-44, 2015.
-  Sunarto and Y. Ichida, “Creep feed profile grinding of Ni-based superalloys with ultrafine-polycrystalline cBN abrasive grits,” Prec. Eng., Vol.25, pp. 274-283, 2001.
-  S. Shiozaki, Y. Furukawa, and S. Ohishi, “Difference in Grinding Mechanism between Up- and Down-cut Creep Feed Grindings,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.45, No.5, pp. 599-606, 1979.
-  S. Ohishi, Y. Furukawa, and S. Shiozaki, “On the Selection of Grinding Condition to Avoid Workpiece Burning in Creep Feed Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.46, No.4, pp. 402-409, 1980.
-  T. Fujiwara, S. Tsukamoto, T. Kuroe, and T. Nakajima, “Study on High Precision Contour Grinding (3rd Report) – Grinding Force Analysis for Deep Grinding with Ball-end Grinding Wheel –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.71, No.9, pp. 1125-1130, 2005.
-  Z. Shi, H. Attia, and M. Srinivasaraghavan, “Experimental Investigation of the Force Distributions in the Grinding Contact Zone,” Mach. Sci. and Technol., Vol.13, pp. 372-384, 2009.
-  C. Heinzel and G. Antsupov, “Prevention of wheel clogging in creep feed grinding by efficient tool cleaning,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.61, pp. 323-326, 2012.
-  A. Cameron, R. Bauer, and A. Warkentin, “An investigation of the effects of wheel-cleaning parameters in creep-feed grinding,” Int. J. Mach. Tools and Manuf., Vol.50, pp. 126-130, 2010.
-  J. Shibata, I. Inasaki, and S. Yonetsu, “Characteristics of the Grinding Force and its Distribution at the Area of Contact between the Grinding Wheel and the Workpiece – Study on High-depth-of-cut Grinding (1st Report) –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.46, No.4, pp. 395-401, 1980.
-  A. D. Batako, W. B. Rowe, and M. N. Morgan, “Temperature measurement in high efficiency deep grinding,” Int. J. Mach. Tools and Manuf., Vol.45, pp. 1231-1245, 2005.
-  S. Malkin and C. Guo, “Thermal Analysis of Grinding,” Ann. CIRP, Vol.56, No.2, pp. 760-782, 2007.
-  M. Suzuki and I. Inasaki, “Surface Topography Measurement of Super Abrasive Wheel,” J. Jpn, Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.61, No.585, pp. 2003-2009, 1995.
-  H. Sakamoto and S. Shimizu, “Evaluation Method of Condition Change on Working Surface with Grinding – Evaluation Method for Combined Generation of Condition Changes on Wheel Working Surface –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.71, No.1, pp. 120-125, 2005.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, M. Nomura, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Surface Topography of Mini-Size Diamond Wheel in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG),” Int. J. Automat. Technol., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 569-575, 2014.
-  S. Habu, Y. Ichida, H. Kajino, and M. Sato, “Wear Characteristics and Grinding Performance of Vitrified Diamond Grinding Wheels,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.54, No.3, pp. 157-163, 2010.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, and Y. Inoue, “Microscopic Wear Behavior of Grain Cutting Edges in cBN Grinding,” Proc. The 5th Int. Conf. LEM21, pp. 541-546, 2009.
-  Y. Taguchi and Y. Omata, “The Surface Analysis to Evaluate Its Profile by Electron Beam,” J. Surf. Finish. Soc. Jpn., Vol.57, No.8, pp. 564-568, 2006.