Control Strategy of Screw Motion During Plasticizing Phase for All-Electric Injection Molding Machine
Shengrui Yu*,† and Lanyu Zeng**
*School of Mechanical and Electronic Engineering, Jingdezhen Ceramic Institute
Jingdezhen 333403, China
**Office of Academic Affairs, Jingdezhen Ceramic Institute, Jingdezhen, China
This work studies a control strategy of screw motion to improve the plasticizing precision for an all-electric injection molding machine (AIMM) based on a biaxial simultaneous motion system. In the standard plasticizing process, a screw retraction before or after the metering phase is proposed to link up with the traditional metering process for reducing the residual pressure at the end of holding and metering, respectively. The modified incomplete plasticizing process is then applied to prevent the potential over-travel of the screw. The incomplete plasticizing process uses a control strategy to obtain a fixed start point for the screw at injection in each cycle. Experimental results showed that both the standard and incomplete plasticizing process improve the visual quality and molded precision of parts.
-  T. Kaburagi, M. Kurose, T. Ogawa, H. Kuroiwa, and T. Iwasawa, “Investigation of flow and sink initiation process in mold shapes in injection molding,” Int. J. Automation Technol, Vol.9, pp. 10-18, 2015.
-  K. Yoshida, K. Ootsuki, and K. Hirose, “Flow analysis of insert molding using injection molding CAE,” Int. J. Automation Technol, Vol.11, pp. 81-83, 2017.
-  X. Xu and P. Yu, “Modeling and simulation of injection molding process of polymer melt by a robust SPH method,” Appl. Math. Model., Vol.48, pp. 384-409, 2017.
-  C. C. Tsai, S. M. Hsieh, and H. E. Kao, “Mechatronic design and injection speed control of an ultra high-speed plastic injection molding machine,” Mechatronics, Vol.19, pp. 147-155, 2009.
-  Y. Murata, T. Inoue, and T. Fujibayashi, “Investigation of flash generation process for engineering plastic by flash generation-evaluating mold,” Int. J. Automation Technol, Vol.11, pp. 90-96, 2017.
-  I. Ferreira, O. D. Weck, P. Saraiva, and J. Cabral, “Multidisciplinary optimization of injection molding systems,” Struct. Multidiscip. O., Vol.41, pp. 621-635, 2010.
-  X. P. Dang, “General frameworks for optimization of plastic injection molding process parameters,” Simul. Model. Pract. Th., Vol.41, pp. 15-27, 2014.
-  Y. Yang and F. Gao, “Adaptive control of the filling velocity of thermoplastics injection molding,” Control Eng. Pract., Vol.8, pp. 1285-1296, 2000.
-  H. Hassan, “An experimental work on the effect of injection molding parameters on the cavity pressure and product weight,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Tech., Vol.67, pp. 675-86, 2013.
-  H. Hassan, N. Regnier, C. Pujos, and G. Defaye, “Effect of viscous dissipation on the temperature of the polymer during injection molding filling,” Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol.48, pp. 1199-1206, 2008.
-  Y. Yang, B. Yang, S. Zhu, and X. Chen, “Online quality optimization of the injection molding process via digital image processing and model-free optimization,” J. Mater. Process. Tech., Vol.226, pp. 85-98, 2015.
-  F. Shi, Z. L. Lou, J. G. Lu, and Y. Q. Zhang, “Optimisation of plastic injection moulding process with soft computing,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.21, No.9, pp. 656-661, 2003.
-  P. Yarlagadda and C. A. T. Khong, “Development of a hybrid neural network system for prediction of process parameters in injection moulding,” J. Mater. Process. Tech., Vol.118, No.1-3, pp. 110-116, 2001.
-  W. C. Chen, P. H. Tai, M. W. Wang, W. J. Deng, and C. T. Chen, “A neural network-based approach for dynamic quality prediction in a plastic injection molding process,” Expert. Syst. Appl., Vol.35, No.3, pp. 843-849, 2008.
-  W. C. Chen, M. W. Wang, C. T. Chen, and G. L. Fu, “An integrated parameter optimization system for MISO plastic injection molding,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.44, No.5-6, pp. 501-511, 2009.
-  K. H. Tan and M. M. F. Yuen, “A fuzzy multiobjective approach for minimization of injection molding defects,” Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol.40, No. 4, pp. 956-971, 2000.
-  Y. D. Wang, P. Q. Chang, Y. F. Wu, and D. Y. Hwang, “Design and fabrication of an all-electric tiebarless injection molding machine,” 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics, pp. 783-787, 2005.
-  X. H. Yan and Y. Q. Zhao, “Application of model predictive control to position control of all motor-driven injection molding machine,” Light Industry Machinery, Vol.3, pp. 56-58, 2008 (in Chinese).
-  N. Akasaka, “Design method by use of control similarity principle applied for a load simulator of electric-motor driven injection molding machine,” 2008 Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems, pp. 2696-2702, 2008.
-  H. W. Zhang, C. J. Chen, and J. X. Dong, “Development of GE series motion controller utilized in full electric plastic injection molding machine,” 2011 Int. Conf. on Applied Informatics and Communication, pp. 384-389, 2011.
-  R. Furusawa, K. Ohishi, K. Kageyama, M. Takatsu, and S. Urushihara, “Fine force control based on reaction force observer for electric injection molding machine,” 2011 IEEE Int. Symposium on Industrial Electronics, pp. 2165-2170, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.