On-Machine Estimation of Workpiece Deformation for Thin-Structured Parts Machining
Muroran Institute of Technology
27-1 Mizumoto, Muroran, Hokkaido 050-8585, Japan
The workholding process in small batch production is one of the least automated processes in machining. In order to ensure appropriate workholding, it is necessary to estimate actual deformation of the workpiece. Recently, near net shape technologies, such as thin-wall casting and additive manufacturing, have become common. Increased requirements for the finish machining of thin-structured parts has increased the need for the appropriateness of workholding to be evaluated. An objective of this study is to investigate an on-machine estimation method that can evaluate the actual deformation of parts with thin-structures. Thin-structured parts are usually held by means of multipoint fixturing or vise fixturing. A hybrid estimation method combining FEM analysis and local strain measurements is adopted to estimate the deformation. The effectiveness of the proposed method is evaluated with example problems. The results indicate the feasibility of the on-machine estimation of the deformation of thin-structured parts.
-  H. Asada and A. By, “Kinematic Analysis of Workpart Fixturing for Flexible assembly with Automatically Reconfigurable Fixtures,” IEEE J. of Robotics and Automation, Vol.RA-1, No.2, pp. 86-94, 1985.
-  S. Hirai et al., “A Model-Based Generation of Fixture Layout Candidates for Workpiece Holding,” Proc. of 5th Japan-U.S.A. Symposium on Flexible Automation, pp. 595-602, 1994.
-  J. R. Boerma and H. J. J. Kals, “FIXES, A System for Automatic Selection of Set-ups and Design of Fixtures,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.37, No.1, pp. 443-446, 1988.
-  A. Y. C. Nee and S. Kumar, “A Framework for an Object/ Rule-Based Automated Fixture Design System,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 147-151, 1990.
-  H. Sakurai, “Automatic Setup Planning and Fixture Design for Machining,” J. of Manufacturing System, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 30-37, 1992.
-  J. D. Lee and L. S. Haynes, “Finite Element Analysis of Flexible Fixturing System,” J. of Engineering for Industry, Vol.109, pp. 395-406, 1987.
-  S. Ratchev et al., “Milling error prediction and compensation in machining of low-rigidity parts,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.44, Issue 15, pp. 1629-1641, December 2004.
-  S. P. Siebenaler and S. N. Melkote, “Prediction of workpiece deformation in a fixture system using the finite element method,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 51-58, 2006.
-  J. Wang, S. Ibaraki, A. Matsubara, K. Shida, and T. Yamada, “FEM-Based Simulation for Workpiece Deformation in Thin-Wall Milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 122-128, 2015.
-  W. Chai et al., “Deformable Sheet Metal Fixturing : Principles, Algorithms, and Simulations,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.118, pp. 318-324, Aug. 1996.
-  D. Freiburg et al., “Simulation based Process Optimization for the Milling of Light Weight Components,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.18, pp. 132-137, 2014.
-  Z. Cai et al., “Systematic Solving of Machining Deformation and Process Optimization for Complex Thin-walled Parts,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.56, pp. 167-172, 2016.
-  S. E. Sarma and P. K. Wright, “Reference Free Part Encapsulation: A new universal fixturing concept,” J. of Manufacturing Systems, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 35-47, 1997.
-  H. Obara et al., “A Method to Machine Three-Dimensional Thin Parts,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.3, pp. 375-379, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  J. F. Hurtado and S. N. Melkote, “A model for synthesis of the fixturing configuration in pin-array type flexible machining fixtures,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.42, No.7, May, pp. 837-849, 2002.
-  E. C. D. Meter, “Light Activated Adhesive Gripper (LAAG) Workholding Technology and Process,” J. of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 201-214, 2004.
-  T. Aoyama and Y. Kakinuma, “Development of Fixture Devices for Thin and Compliant Workpieces,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 325-328, 2005.
-  K. Nakamoto et al., “Dexterous Machining of Soft Objects by Means of Flexible Clamper,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 83-88, 2015.
-  K. Teramoto et al., “Thermal State Visualization of Machining Workpiece by Means of a Sensor-Configured Heat Conduction Simulation,” JSME Int. J. Series C, Vol.49, No.2, pp. 287-292, 2006.
-  T. Ohashi et al., “In-Process Measurement of Elastic Deformation of a Large Deep-Drawing-Die with Fusion of Experiment and Numerical Analysis,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 457-464, 2009.
-  M. Baeker, “A new method to determine material parameters from machining simulations using inverse identification,” Proceedia CIRP, Vol.31, pp. 399-404, 2015.
-  I. Yamaguchi, “Displacement and Strain Measurement by Electronic Speckle Correlation,” Oyo Butsuri, Vol.69, No.6 pp. 584-587, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  K. L. Johnson, “Contact Mechanics,” Cambridge University Press, 1987.
-  S. Satyanarayana and S. N. Melkote, “Finite element modeling of fixture – workpiece contacts: single contact modeling and experimental verification,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.44, No.9, pp. 903-913, 2004.
-  S. Kubo (Ed.), “Inverse Problems,” Atlanta Technology Pub., 1993.
-  T. Tsumura (Ed.), “Contact theory, Data book for strength design,” Shokabo, 1971 (in Japanese).