Development of High-Speed Processing Method to Evaluate Elastic Deformations of Workpieces
Kenji Komiya*1,†, Jun’ichi Kaneko*2, Tetsuya Yokoyama*3, Tetsuya Asano*4, Chiharu Higashino*4, and Kenichiro Horio*2
*1Department of Mechanical and Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Saitama University
255 Shimo-Ohkubo, Sakura-Ku, Saitama City, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
*2Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saitama University, Saitama, Japan
*3Gifu Prefectural Research Institute of Information Technology, Gifu, Japan
*4Aikoku Alpha Corpration, Aichi, Japan
Recently, the aviation, shipping, and energy industries have been using components that are more thin-walled. Deformations occurring during the cutting of these thin-walled components could lead to dimensional errors. This paper describes a finite element method that requires fewer processes and less processing time than other methods, developed to predict the deformation of workpieces during their cutting. Using this method in conjunction with cutting simulations allows for the analysis of workpiece deformations through the modification of stiffness matrices containing information from cutting simulations, rather than recreating meshes or stiffness matrices. Moreover, part of the processing makes use of an accelerated method of solving simultaneous equations using large scale parallel computations with GPU.
-  E. Budak and A. Yusuf, “Modeling and avoidance of static form errors in peripheral milling of plates,” Int. J. Math. Tools Manufact, Vol.35, No.3, pp. 459-476, 1995.
-  J. S. Tsai and C. L. Liao, “Finite-element modeling of static surface errors in the peripheral milling of thin-walled workpieces,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.94, No.2, pp. 235-246, 1999.
-  R. A. Izamshah, J. P. T. Mo, and S. L. Ding, “Finite Element Analysis of Machining Thin-Wall Parts,” Key Eng. Mater., Vol.458, No.December 2014, pp. 283-288, 2010.
-  M. Wan, W. Zhang, K. Qiu, T. Gao, and Y. Yang, “Numerical Prediction of Static Form Errors in Peripheral Milling of Thin-Walled Workpieces With Irregular Meshes,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.127, No.1, p. 13, 2005.
-  S. Ratchev, W. Huang, S. Liu, and A. A. Becker, “Modelling and simulation environment for machining of low-rigidity components,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.153-154, Nos.1-3, pp. 67-73, 2004.
-  L. Gang, “Study on deformation of titanium thin-walled part in milling process,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.209, No.6, pp. 2788-2793, 2009.
-  Y. Huang, X. Zhang, and Y. Xiong, “Finite Element Analysis of Machining Thin-Wall Parts?: Error Prediction and Stability Analysis,” Finite Element Analysis–Applications in Mechanical Engineering, pp. 327-354 2012.
-  H. Ning, W. Zhigang, J. Chengyu, and Z. Bing, “Finite element method analysis and control stratagem for machining deformation of thin-walled components,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.139, pp. 332-336, 2003.
-  T. Aijun and L. Zhanqiang, “Deformations of thin-walled plate due to static end milling force,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.6, pp. 345-351, 2007.
-  T. Miyoshi, “Introduction to Finite Element Method,” Tokyo, Baihuukan, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  O. C. Zienkiewicz, O. Cecil, and R. L. Taylor, “The finite element method: solid mechanics,” Vol.2. Butterworth-heinemann, 2000.
-  T. J. R. Hughes, “The finite element method: linear static and dyanamic finite element analysis,” Courier Corporation, 2012.
-  T. Etienne, B. Jochen, W. Wei-Tsu, and A. Taylan, “Material fracture and burr formation in blanking results of FEM simulations and comparison with experiments.” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.59, Nos. 1-2, pp. 327-354, 1996.
-  C. D. Burns, S. Senger, A. Menon, K. Montgomery, S. Wildermuth, and R. Boyle, “A survey of interactive mesh-cutting techniques and a new method for implementing generalized interactive mesh cutting using virtual tools,” J. Vis. Comput. Animat., Vol.13, No.June, pp. 21-42, 2002.
-  K. Watanabe, J. Kaneko, and K. Horio, “Development of Tool Collision Avoidance Method Adapted to Uncut Workpiece Shape,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 235-241, 2017.
-  J. Cheng, M. Grossman, and T. McKercher, “Professional CUDA C Programming,” John Wiley & Sons, 2014.
-  W. H. Press, B. P. Flannery, S. A. Teukolsky, and W. T. Vetterling, “Numerical recipes in C,” Cambridge: Cambridge university press, 1982.
-  R. Freund, “Conjugate gradient method type for linear system with complex symmetric coefficent matrix,” Res. Instite Adv. Comput. Sci. NASA Ames Res. Cent., 1999.
-  T. A. Davis and Y. Hu, “The university of Florida sparse matrix collection,” ACM Trans. Math. Softw., Vol.38, No.1, pp. 1-25, 2011.
-  J. B. White and P. Sadayappan, “On improving the performance of sparse matrix-vector multiplication,” Proc. Fourth Int. Conf. High-Performance Comput., pp. 66-71, 1997.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.