Three-Dimensional Observation of Microstructure of Bone Tissue Using High-Precision Machining
Naomichi Furushiro*1,†, Hideo Yokota*2, Sakiko Nakamura*2, Kazuhiro Fujisaki*3, Yutaka Yamagata*2, Mitsunori Kokubo*4, Ryutaro Himeno*5, Akitake Makinouchi*6, and Toshiro Higuchi*7
*1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kansai University
3-3-35 Yamate-cho, Suita-shi, Osaka 564-8680, Japan
*2RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics, Saitama, Japan
*3Department of Intelligent Machines and System Engineering, Hirosaki University, Aomori, Japan
*4Toshiba Machine Co., Ltd., Shizuoka, Japan
*5Advanced Center for Computing and Communication, RIKEN, Saitama, Japan
*6RIKEN, Saitama, Japan
*7The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
This study aims to verify whether the three-dimensional internal information acquisition system we have developed can be applied successfully to the microstructures of consecutively precision-machined biological samples, and to those of metallic samples. Therefore, this study mainly deals with biological hard tissue samples like bones. In this paper, we first studied the precision-machining characteristics of bones. From this, we determined that, to obtain machined surfaces sufficient for internal observations, we need to determine the maximum uncut chip thickness and the cutting speeds, taking the bone’s anisotropy into consideration. Next, we acquired three-dimensional internal information on consecutively precision-machined bone samples using the three-dimensional internal acquisition system we developed. Subsequently, we visualized the internal structures of these machined samples. Our tiling observations acquired an 18×9×3 mm segment as a 6.2×6.2×10μm resolution image. We obtained a three-dimensionally reconstructed image of complex blood vessel networks inside the bone by making the acquired images binary.
-  H. Fujimoto, M. Abe, S. Osawa, O. Sato, and T. Takatsuji, “Development of Dimensional X-ray Computed Tomography,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 567-571, 2015.
-  M. Ishii, J. G. Egen, F. Klauschen, M. Meier-Schellersheim, Y. Saeki, J. Vacher, R. L. Proia6, and R. N. Germain, “Sphingosine-1-phosphate Mobilizes Osteoclast Precursors and Regulates Bone Homeostasis,” Nature, Vol.458, No.7237, pp. 524-528, 2009.
-  J. Kikuta, Y. Wada, T. Kowada, Z. Wang, G. H. Sun-Wada, I. Nishiyama, S. Mizukami, N. Maiya, H. Yasuda, A. Kumanogoh, K. Kikuchi, R. N. Germain, and M. Ishii, “Dynamic Visualization of RANKL and Th17-mediated Osteoclast Function,” The J. of Clinical Investigation, Vol.123, No.2, pp. 866-873, 2013.
-  K. Kobayashi, T. Higuchi, I. Aoki, and K. Kudoh, “Development of Microslicer Implementation of 3-Dimensional Internal Structure Microscope,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 100-106, 1995.
-  M. Kokubo, T. Higuchi, K. Kudoh, Y. Fukuda, A. Ohtomo, H. Nanto, and H. Ishida, “Development of The Automatic Thin Sectioning Microtome System for Light Microscopy: The Machine to Mount Sections on The Object Glass Automatically by Using Static Electricity,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.68, No.12, pp. 1605-1610, 2002.
-  K. Kudoh, T. Kinoshita, G. S. Do, M. Uchigasaki, K. Sato, and T. Higuchi, “Development of an Internal Observation System for Biological Samples Using a Linear Micro-slicer,” Trans. of the Japanese Society for Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol.43, No.1, pp. 103-108, 2005.
-  H. Yokota, K. Kudoh, T. Higuchi, and K. Sato, “Development of 3-Dimensional Internal Structure Microscope (3D-ISM) for Observation of Expressed Gene,” Japanese J. of Medical Electronics and Biological Engineering, Vol.36, No.3, pp. 244-251, 1998.
-  J. Kimura, A. Tsukise, H. Yokota, Y. Nambo, and T. Higuchi, “The Application of Three-dimensional Internal Structure Microscopy in the Observation of Mare Ovary,” Anatomia Histologia Embryologia, Vol.30, No.5, pp. 309-312, 2001.
-  S. Takemoto, Y. Hirano, H. Yokota, S. Nakamura, J. Kimura, Y. Nambo, S. Tsumagari, R. Himeno, and T. Mishima, “Semi-automated Color Segmentation from a Biological Cross-sectional Image Series: Follicle Segmentation for Visualization of the Equine Ovary,” The J. of the Institute of Image Electronics Engineers of Japan, Vol.34, No.6, pp. 770-777, 2005.
-  Z. G. Sun and A. Makinouchi, “Development of FEM Program for Coupling Analysis of Hyperelastic Solid and Static Liquid and Its Application to Simulation of the Retinal Detachment Operation on an Eyeball,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, A, Vol.68, No.666, pp. 357-363, 2002.
-  N. Furushiro, H. Yokota, K. Fujisaki, Y. Yamagata, M. Kokubo, R. Himeno, A. Makinouchi, and T. Higuchi, “Development of Three-dimensional Internal Information Acquisition System based on Consecutive Precision Machining,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.74, No.6, pp. 587-592, 2008.
-  N. Furushiro, H. Yokota, K. Fujisaki, Y. Yamagata, M. Kokubo, R. Himeno, A. Makinouchi, and T. Higuchi, “Observation of Porosities inside Aluminum Diecasts using Three-dimensional Internal Information Acquisition System,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.74, No.9, pp. 991-996, 2008.
-  K. Fujisaki, S. Tadano, and N. Sasaki, “A Method on Strain Measurement of HAP in Cortical Bone from Diffusive Profile of X-ray Diffraction,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.39, No.3, pp. 579-586, 2006.
-  K. Fujisaki and S. Tadano, “Relationship between Bone Tissue Strain and Lattice Strain of HAp Crystals in Bovine Cortical Bone under Tensile Loading,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.40, No.8, pp. 1832-1838, 2007.
-  D. T. Reilley and A. H. Burstein, “The Elastic and Ultimate Properties of Compact Bone Tissue,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.8, No.6, pp. 393-396, 1975.
-  C. H. Jacobs, M. H. Pope, J. T. Berry, and F. Hoaglund, “A study of the Bone Machining Process – Orthogonal Cutting,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 133-136, 1974.
-  S. Itoh, Y. Ito, and T. Shikita, “Basic Study on Bone Cutting Forces for Developing Surgical Instruments,” Bulletin of JSME, Vol.26, No.222, pp. 2295-2301, 1983.
-  M. Niinomi, T. Akahori, J. H. Kim, H. Tajima, and T. Kodama, “Fracture Characteristics and Microstructures at Different Positions of Bovine Femoral Compact Bone,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, A, Vol.69, No.867, pp. 1641-1648, 2003.
-  C. Plaskos, A. J. Hodgson, and P. Cinquin, “Modelling and Optimization of Bone-Cutting Forces in Orthopaedic Surgery,” Int. Conf. on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, pp. 254-261, 2003.
-  N. Sugita, M. Mitsuishi, and S. Warisawa, “Micro Cutting Characteristics of Pig Cortical Bone under Micro Cutting,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.71, No.9, pp. 1151-1156, 2005.
-  N. Sugita, M. Mitsuishi, Y. Funada, and T. Sugita, “Dynamic Cutting Behaviour in Two Dimensional Cutting of Bone,” Proc. of JSPE Semestrial Meeting, pp. 669-670, 2006.
-  T. Matsumoto and M. Tanaka, “Fine Structural Analysis of Cortical Bone by Synchrotron Radiation CT,” Trans. of the Japanese Society for Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol.44, No.4, pp. 517-521, 2006.