Development of Ultralow-Cost Machine Vision System
Kenichi Endo†, Teruyuki Ishiwata, and Tomohiro Yamazaki
Automation Equipment Engineering Section, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
1 Natsushima, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 237-8523, Japan
This paper reports on the development of a low-cost machine vision inspection system to promote the wide employment of the system and foster further quality improvements in automobile manufacturing. The machine vision system consists of a camera that takes images of an inspection target, lighting to ensure appropriate illuminance, and a controller that analyzes the images and gives inspection results. By optimizing the performance and using free software, we succeeded in the development of an ultralow-cost machine vision system for one tenth of the cost of commercially available factory automation machine vision systems. The development and results are introduced in this paper. The applicability of the ultralow-cost machine vision system platform to applications other than inspection is also discussed.
-  A. Abeta, “The Multiple Layer Architecture with High Portable in Embedded Software,” Information Processing Society of Japan, pp. 117-122, 2003.
-  M. Shimizu and M. Okutomi, “Sub-pixel estimation error cancellation on area-based matching,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.63, No.3, pp. 207-224, 2005.
-  M. Shimizu and M. Okutomi, “Multi-parameter simultaneous estimation on area-based matching,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.67, No.3, pp. 327-342, 2006.
-  G. Bradski and A. Kaehler, “Learning OpenCV Computer Vision with the OpenCV Library,” O’Reilly Media, 2008.
-  K. Kobayashi, H. Sasaki, T. Aoki, M. Kawamata, and T. Higuchi, “Rotatien Measurements using Rotation lnvariamt Phase Only Correlation,” ITE Technical Report, Vol.22, No.45, pp. 55-60, 1998.
-  K. Kobayashi, H. Nakajima, T. Aoki, M. Kawamata, and T. Higuchi, “Principles of Phase Only Correlation and Its Applications,” ITE Technical Report, Vol.20, No.41, pp. 1-6, 1996.
-  G. Borgefors, “Hierarchical Chamfer Matching:A Parametric Edge Matching,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.10, No.6, pp. 849-865, 1988.