Reducing the Energy Consumption of Machine Tools
Makoto Fujishima†, Hiroshi Shimanoe, and Masahiko Mori
DMG MORI Co., Ltd.
2-35-16 Meieki, Nakamura, Nagoya, Aichi 450-0002, Japan
Global warming is one of the most important environmental issues that the world faces today. Reducing energy consumption is critical in industrial environments. Machine tools have some of the highest energy consumption rates of all the equipment in factories. This makes it important to reduce machine tool energy consumption to protect the global environment. Some effective ways of reducing the energy consumption of machine tools are by reducing the required energy, shutting down the power to standby mode, and shortening cycle times. This paper introduces several approaches to the reduction of energy consumption.
-  E. Kiriyama and A. Suzuki, “Use of real options in nuclear power plant valuation in the presence of uncertainty with CO2, emission credit,” J. of nuclear science and technology, Vol.41, No.7, pp. 756-764, 2003.
-  Japan Center for Climate Change Actions, Indirect carbon dioxide emission in Japan 2014, http://www.jccca.org/chart/chart04_04.html,2016. [accessed October 20, 2016]
-  K. Weinert, I. Inasaki, J. W. Sutherland, and T. Wakabayashi, “Dry Machining and Minumum Quantity Lubrication,” CIRP Annals, Vol.53, No.2, pp. 511-537, 2004.
-  A. Rangarajan and D. Dornfeld, “Efficient Tool Pahts and Part Orentation for Face Milling,” CIRP Annals, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 73-76, 2004.
-  A. Vijayaraghavan and D. Dornfeld, “Automated Energy Monitoring of Machine Tools,” CIRP Annals, Vol.59, No.1, pp. 21-24, 2010.
-  N. Diaz, S. Choi, M. Heru, Y. Chen, S. Jayanathan, Y. Yasui, et al., “Machine tool design and operation strategies for green manufacturing,” Proc. of 4th CIRP HPC, pp. 271-276, 2010.
-  R. Neugebauer, et al., “Modelling of Energy and Resource-Efficient Machining,” 4th CIRP HPC, Vol.1, pp. 295-300, 2010.
-  M. Mori, M. Fujishima, Y. Inamasu, and Y. Oda, “A Study on energy efficiency improvement for machine tools,” CIRP Annals, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 145-148, 2011.
-  N. Diaz, E. Redelsheimer, and D. Dornfeld, “Energy consumption characterization and reduction strategies for milling machine tool use,” Glocalized solutions for sustainability in manufacturing, pp. 263-267, 2011.
-  V. A. Balogun and P. T. Mativenga, “Modelling of direct energy requirements in mechanical machining processes,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.41, pp. 179-186, 2013.
-  E. Abel, T. Sielaff, A. Schiffler, and S. Rothenbücher, “Analyzing energy consumption of machine tool spindle units and identification of potential for improvements of efficiency,” Glocalized Solutions for Sustainability in Manufacturing, pp. 280-285, 2011.
-  Y. Oda, M. Mori, K. Ogawa, S. Nishida, M. Fujishima, and Y. Kawamura, “Study of optimal cutting condition for energy efficiency improvement in ball end milling with tool-workpiece inclination,” CIRP Annals, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 119-122, 2012.
-  N. Uchiyama, Y. Ogawa, and S. Sano, “Energy Saving for Gantry-Type Feed Drives by Synchronous and Contouring Control,” Int. J. of Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.3, pp. 401-407, 2012.
-  N. Uchiyama, T. Nakamura, and K. Yamazaki, “Reduction of Consumed Energy and Control Input Variance in Machine Tool Feed Drives by Contouring Control,” Int. J. of Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.4, pp. 363-368, 2009.
-  Y. Oda, M. Fujishima, and Y. Takeuch, “Energy-Saving Machining of Multi-Functional Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 135-142, 2015.
-  T. Samukawa, H. Suwa, et al., “An optimization of energy-efficiency in machining manufacturing systems based on a framework of multi-mode RCPSP,” Int. J. of Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.6, pp. 985-992, 2016.
-  H. Paris, H. Mokhtarian, E. Coatanéa, M. Museau, and I. F. Ituarte, “Comparative environmental impacts of additive and subtractive manufacturing technologies,” CIRP Annals, Vol.65, No.1, pp. 29-32, 2016.
-  T. Schudeleit, S. Zust, L. Weiss, and K. Wegener, “Machine Tool Energy Efficiency – A Component Mapping-Based Approach,” Int. J. of Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 717-726.
-  S. Kara and W. Li, “Unit process energy consumption models for material removal processes,” CIRP Annals, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 37-40, 2011.
-  K. Sugimura and K. Suzuki, “Using Intermittently Operated Oil Hydraulic Pump Unit with Accumulator to Save Energy,” Int. J. of Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.4, pp. 426-433, 2012.