How Lean Manufacturing Affects the Creation of Sustainable Value: An Integrated Model
Barbara Resta*, Stefano Dotti*, Paolo Gaiardelli*,†, and Albachiara Boffelli**
*CELS (Research Group on Industrial Engineering, Logistics and Service Operations), Department of Management,
Information and Production Engineering, Università degli Studi di Bergamo
Viale Marconi 5, Dalmine (BG) 24044, Italy
**Department of Management, Information and Production Engineering, Università degli Studi di Bergamo, Dalmine, Italy
Lean Manufacturing (LM) has always been intended as a means to improve efficiency by reducing operations costs, but the recent focus on sustainability and its three pillars (economic, environmental, and social) raises new issues. In this paper, a new model that links LM with sustainability is proposed and then refined through a cross-sector multiple case study. The results highlight a need to align lean implementation processes with sustainability strategy to avoid negative impacts that LM could have on the components of sustainability.
-  P. R. Kleindorfer, K. Singhal, and L. N. Wassenhove, “Sustainable operations management,” Prod. Operat. Manag., Vol.14, No.4, pp. 482-492, 2005.
-  P. Hines, M. Holweg, and N. Rich, “Learning to evolve: a review of contemporary lean thinking,” Int. J. Operat. Prod. Manag., Vol.24, No.10, pp. 994-1011, 2004.
-  L. C. Angell and R. D. Klassen, “Integrating environmental issues into the mainstream: an agenda for research in operations management,” J. Operat. Manag., Vol.17, No.5, pp. 575-598, 1999.
-  A. A. King and M. J. Lenox, “Lean and green? An empirical examination of the relationship between lean production and environmental performance,” Prod. Operat. Manag., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 244-256, 2001.
-  G. Fliedner and K. Majeske, “Sustainability: the new lean frontier,” Prod. Invent. Manag. J., Vol.46, No.1, pp. 6-13, 2010.
-  W. M. Adams, “The Future of Sustainability: Re-Thinking Environment and Development in the Twenty-First Century,” Gland, Switzerland: World Conservation Union, 2006.
-  G. H. Brundtland, “Our common future: Report of the 1987 World Commission on Environment and Development,” Oslo: United Nations, 1987.
-  D. F. Drake and S. Spinler, “OM Forum-Sustainable Operations Management: An Enduring Stream or a Passing Fancy?,” Manuf. Serv. Operat. Manag., Vol.15, No.4, pp. 689-700, 2013.
-  S. Yamada, T. Yamada, S. Bracke, and M. Inoue, “Upgradable design for Sustainable Manufacturer Performance and Profitability and Reduction of Environmental Load,” Int. J. Autom. Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 690-698, 2016.
-  P. H. Walker, P. S. Seuring, P. J. Sarkis, and P. R. Klassen, “Sustainable operations management: recent trends and future directions,” Int. J. Operat. Prod. Manag., Vol.34, No.5, 2014.
-  A. Gunasekaran and Z. Irani, “Sustainable Operations Management: design, modelling and analysis,” J. Operat. Res. Soc., Vol.65, No.6, pp. 801-805, 2014.
-  L. M. Corbett, “Sustainable operations management: A typological approach,” J. Ind. Eng. Manag., Vol.2, No.1, pp. 10-30, 2009.
-  J. Kurilova-Palisaitiene and E. Sundin, “Challenges and Opportunities of Lean Remanufacturing,” Int. J. Autom. Technol., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 644-652, 2014.
-  D. Morita and H. Suwa, “An Optimization Method for Critical Chain Scheduling Toward Project Greenality,” Int. J. Autom. Technol., Vol.6, No.3, pp. 331-337, 2012.
-  Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), “Sustainability Reporting Guidelines on Economic, Environmental, and Social Performance,” Boston: GRI, 2015.
-  R. Shah and P. T. Ward, “Defining and developing measures of lean production,” J. Operat. Manag., Vol.25, No.4, pp. 785-805, 2007.
-  R. Shah and P. T. Ward, “Lean manufacturing: context, practice bundles, and performance,” J. Operat. Manag., Vol.21, No.2, pp. 129-149, 2003.
-  I. Belekoukias, J. A. Garza-Reyes, and V. Kumar, “The impact of lean methods and tools on the operational performance of manufacturing organisations,” Int. J. Prod. Res., Vol.52, No.18, pp. 5346-5366, 2014.
-  C. Hofer, C. Eroglu, and A. R. Hofer, “The effect of lean production on financial performance: The mediating role of inventory leanness,” Int. J. Prod. Econ., Vol.138, No.2, pp. 242-253, 2012.
-  R. R. Fullerton, C. S. McWatters, and C. Fawson, “An examination of the relationships between JIT and financial performance,” J. Operat. Manag., Vol.21, No.4, pp. 383-404, 2003.
-  M. Ballé, “Lean attitude [considering attitude in lean production],” Manuf. Eng., Vol.84, No.2, pp. 14-19, 2005.
-  S. Bhasin, “Lean and performance measurement,” J. Manuf. Technol. Manag., Vol.19, No.5, pp. 670-684, 2008.
-  Industry Week/Manufacturing Performance Institute (IW/MPI), “Census of Manufacturers,” 2007. http://www.mpi-group.net [AccessedOctober 24, 2016]
-  M. Franchetti, K. Bedal, J. Ulloa, and S. Grodek, “Lean and green: industrial engineering methods are natural stepping stones to green engineering,” Ind. Eng., Vol.41, No.9, pp. 24-30, 2009.
-  P. J. Martínez-Jurado and J. Moyano-Fuentes, “Lean management, supply chain management and sustainability: a literature review,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.85, pp. 134-150, 2014.
-  C. M. Dües, K. H. Tan, and M. Lim, “Green as the new Lean: how to use Lean practices as a catalyst to greening your supply chain,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.40, pp. 93-100, 2013.
-  H. Carvalho and V. Cruz-Machado, “Integrating Lean, Agile, Resilience and Green Paradigms in Supply Chain Management,” Proc. of the Third Int. Conf. on Management Science and Engineering Management, pp. 3-14, 2009.
-  P. Gordon, “Lean and green: profit for your workplace and the environment,” San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2001.
-  F. Moreira, A. Alves, and R. Sousa, “Towards Eco-efficient Lean Production Systems,” Balanced Automation Systems for Future Manufacturing Networks, Vol.322, A. Ortiz, R. D. Franco, and P. G. Gasquet (Eds.), Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 100-108, 2010.
-  S. Vinodh, K. R. Arvind, and M. Somanaathan, “Tools and techniques for enabling sustainability through lean initiatives,” Clean Technol. Environ. Policy, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 469-479, 2011.
-  S. Rothenberg, F. K. Pil, and J. Maxwell, “Lean, green, and the quest for superior environmental performance,” Prod. Operat. Manag., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 228-243, 2001.
-  M. Pagell and Z. Wu, “Building a more complete theory of sustainable supply chain management using case studies of 10 exemplars,” J. Supply Chain Manag., Vol.45, No.2, pp. 37-56, 2009.
-  R. Sawhney, P. Teparakul, A. Bagchi, and X. Li, “En-Lean: a framework to align lean and green manufacturing in the metal cutting supply chain,” Int. J. Enterp. Netw. Manag., Vol.1, No.3, pp. 238-260, 2007.
-  C. J. C. Jabbour, A. B. L. de Sousa Jabbour, K. Govindan, A. A. Teixeira, and W. R. de Souza Freitas, “Environmental management and operational performance in automotive companies in Brazil: the role of human resource management and lean manufacturing,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.47, pp. 129-140, 2013.
-  K. Venkat and W. Wakeland, “Is lean necessarily green?,” Proc. of the 50th Annual Meeting of the ISSS-2006, Sonoma, CA, USA, 2006.
-  S. Hajmohammad, S. Vachon, R. D. Klassen, and I. Gavronski, “Lean management and supply management: their role in green practices and performance,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.39, pp. 312-320, 2013.
-  A. Chiarini, “Sustainable manufacturing-greening processes using specific Lean Production tools: an empirical observation from European motorcycle component manufacturers,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.85, pp. 226-233, 2014.
-  S. De Treville and J. Antonakis, “Could lean production job design be intrinsically motivating? Contextual, configurational, and levels-of-analysis issues,” J. Operat. Manag., Vol.24, No.2, pp. 99-123, 2006.
-  S. Biazzo and R. Panizzolo, “The assessment of work organization in lean production: the relevance of the worker’s perspective,” Integr. Manuf. Sys., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 6-15, 2000.
-  Y. Suzuki, “Structure of the Japanese production system: Elusiveness and reality,” Asian Bus. Manag., Vol.3, No.2, pp. 201-219, 2004.
-  M. A. Taubitz, “Lean, green & safe: integrating safety into the lean, green and sustainability movement,” Prof. Saf., Vol.55, No.5, pp. 39-46, 2010.
-  S. K. Parker, M. A. Griffin, C. A. Sprigg, and T. D. Wall, “Effect of temporary contracts on perceived work characteristics and job strain: A longitudinal study,” Pers. Psychol., Vol.55, No.3, pp. 689-719, 2002.
-  R. Conti, J. Angelis, C. Cooper, B. Faragher, and C. Gill, “The effects of lean production on worker job stress,” Int. J. Operat. Prod. Manag., Vol.26, No.9, pp. 1013-1038, 2006.
-  A. Longoni, M. Pagell, D. Johnston, and A. Veltri, “When does lean hurt? – an exploration of lean practices and worker health and safety outcomes,” Int. J. Prod. Res., Vol.51, No.11, pp. 3300-3320, 2013.
-  N. Piercy and N. Rich, “The relationship between lean operations and sustainable operations,” Int. J. Operat. Prod. Manag., Vol.35, No.2, pp. 282-315, 2015.
-  C. Voss, N. Tsikriktsis, and M. Frolich, “Case research in operations management,” Int. J. Operat. Prod. Manag., Vol.22, No.2, pp. 195-219, 2002.
-  R. Yin, “Case study research: Design and methods,” Beverly Hills: SAGE Publications, 1994.
-  T. A. Scandura and E. A. Williams, “Research methodology in management: Current practices, trends, and implications for future research,” Acad. Manag. J., Vol.43, No.6, pp. 1248-1264, 2000.
-  K. M. Eisenhardt and M. E. Graebner, “Theory building from cases: Opportunities and challenges,” Acad. Manag. J., Vol.50, No.1, pp. 25-32, 2007.
-  M. Scherrer-Rathje, T. A. Boyle, and P. Deflorin, “Lean, take two! Reflections from the second attempt at lean implementation,” Bus. Horiz., Vol.52, No.1, pp. 79-88, 2009.