Value Co-Creative Manufacturing with IoT-Based Smart Factory for Mass Customization
Daisuke Kokuryo†, Toshiya Kaihara, Swee S. Kuik, Shota Suginouchi, and Kodai Hirai
Graduate school of System Informatics, Kobe University
1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada Kobe, Hyogo 657-8501, Japan
The future of productivity and growth in highly customized production environments has attracted considerable attention from numerous practitioners. Herein, we present an innovative methodology for value co-creative manufacturing with an Internet of Things (IoT)-based smart factory for mass-customized rubber products in a real-time scenario. For implementing the proposed system, a three-layer business-oriented model is developed to offer the maximum co-creative value in three-dimensional reactive-printing technology development and utilize cloud computing and cyber-physical systems in customized manufacturing and product design. A Japanese case application is examined to demonstrate the usefulness and flexibility of the proposed system.
-  H. Alves, C. Fernandes, and M. Raposo, “Value co-creation: Concept and contexts of application and study,” J. of Business Research, Vol.69, No.5, pp. 1626-1633, 2016.
-  K. Ashton, “That ‘Internet of Things’ Thing,” RFID J., 2009.
-  I. Kerr, “The Internet Of People? Reflections on the Future Regulation of Human-Implantable Radio Frequency Identification,” In Privacy, Identity, and Anonymity: Lessons from the Identity Trail, I. Kerr, V. Steeves and C. Lucock (Eds.), Oxford University Press, 2009.
-  S. Vicini, S. Bellini, A. Sanna, “How to Co-Create Internet of Things-enable Services for Smarter Cities,” SMART2012: The First Int. Conf. on Smart Systems, Devices and Technologies, pp. 55-61, 2012.
-  P. Leitão, A.W. Colombo, and S. Karnouskos, “Industrial automation based on cyber-physical systems technologies: Prototype implementations and challenges,” Computers in Industry, Vol.81, pp. 11-25, 2016.
-  C. Kroiß and T. Bureš, “Logic-based modeling of information transfer in cyber-physical multi-agent systems,” Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol.56, pp. 124-139, 2016.
-  T. Kaihara, D. Kokuryo, and S. Kuik, “A Proposal of Value Co-creative Production with IoT-Based Thinking Factory Concept for Tailor-Made Rubber Products, in Advances in Production Management Systems: Innovative Production Management Towards Sustainable Growth”, S. Umeda, et al. (Eds.), Springer Int. Publishing, pp. 67-73, 2015.
-  F. Shrouf and G. Miragliotta, “Energy management based on Internet of Things: practices and framework for adoption in production management,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.100, pp. 235-246, 2015.
-  C. Yu, X. Xu, and Y. Lu, “Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Cyber-Physical Systems and Cloud Manufacturing – Concepts and relationships,” Manufacturing Letters, Vol.6, pp. 5-9, 2015.
-  R. Gao, et al., “Cloud-enabled prognosis for manufacturing,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.64, No.2, pp. 749-772, 2015.
-  C. K. Prahalad and V. Ramaswamy, “Co-creating unique value with customers,” Strategy & Leadership, Vol.32, No.3, pp. 4-9, 2004.
-  S. Sandström, et al., “Value in use through service experience,” Managing Service Quality: An Int. J., Vol.18, No.2, pp. 112-126, 2008.
-  M. Bogers, R. Hadar, and A. Bilberg, “Additive manufacturing for consumer-centric business models: Implications for supply chains in consumer goods manufacturing,” Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 102, pp. 225-239, 2016.
-  C. Weller, R. Kleer, and F. T. Piller, “Economic implications of 3D printing: Market structure models in light of additive manufacturing revisited,” Int. J. of Production Economics, Vol.164, pp. 43-56, 2015.
-  H. ElMaraghy and M. Abbas, “Products-manufacturing systems Co-platforming,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.64, No.1, pp. 407-410, 2015.
-  Research on Innovative Design/Manufacturing Methodology of Tailor-made Rubber Products and Socio-Economic Value Co-Creation with Reactive 3D printer,
http://www.innov.kobe-u.ac.jp/sip/images/pdf/sip_english.pdf[Accessed November 25, 2016]
-  Y. Qian, N. Fujii, T. Kaihara, S. Fujii, and T. Umeda, “Dynamic Construction of Virtual System in Real-Virtual Fusion Manufacturing System,” Trans. of the Institute of Systems, Control and Information Engineers, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 31-38, 2011.
-  S. Fujii, Y. Kidani, A. Ogita, and T. Kaihara, “Synchronization Mechanisms for Integration between Distributed Manufacturing Simulation Systems,” Int. J. of Simulation, Vol.71, No.3, pp. 201-211, 1999.
-  K. Sashio, S. Fujii, and T. Kaihara, “A Study on Data Handling Mechanism of a Distributed Virtual Factory,” Knowledge and Skill Chains in Engineering and Manufacturing, Part III, pp. 293-300, 2005.
-  H. Hibino, Y. Fukuda, and Y. Yura, “A Synchronization Mechanism with Shared Storage Model for Distributed Manufacturing Simulation Systems,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 248-260, 2015.
-  S. de Cries and R. V. Vohra, “Combinatorial Auctions: A survey,” INFORMS J. of Computing, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 284-309, 2003.
-  T. Kaihara, N. Fujii, T. Nonaka, S. Suginouchi, S. Yoshida, and Y. Koga, “A study on accepting and ordering plans for global supply chain,” Proc. of SICE Annual Conf., pp. 1395-1399, 2014.