Experimental Performance Assessment of Mantis 2, Hybrid Leg-Wheel Mobile Robot
Luca Bruzzone*,†, Pietro Fanghella*, and Giuseppe Quaglia**
*DIME, University of Genoa
Via Opera Pia 15A, 16145 Genoa, Italy
**DIMEAS, Polytechnic University of Turin, Torino, Italy
-  R. R. Murphy, “Rescue Robotics for Homeland Security,” Communications of the ACM – Homeland Security, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 66-68, 2004.
-  R. Playter, M. Buehler, and M. Raibert, “Bigdog,” Proc. of the SPIE Defense & Security Symp., Unmanned Systems Technology, 2006.
-  E. Semsch, M. Jakob, D. Pavlicek, and M. Pechoucek, “Autonomous UAV Surveillance in Complex Urban Environments,” IEEE/WIC/ACM Intl. Joint Conf. on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technologies (WI-IAT’09), Vol.2, pp. 82-85, 2009.
-  E. Cetinsoy, “Design and Flight Tests of a Holonomic Quadrotor UAV with Sub-Rotor Control Surfaces,” 2013 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 1197-1202, 2013.
-  M. Ikeda, S. Hikasa, K. Watanabe, and I. Nagai, “Motion Analysis of a Manta Robot for Underwater Exploration by Propulsive Experiments and the Design of Central Pattern Generator,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.2, pp. 231-237, 2014.
-  K. D. Le, H. D. Nguyen, and D. Ranmuthugala, “Development and Control of a Low-Cost, Three-Thruster, Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicle,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 67-75, 2015.
-  K. Kato, H. Seki, and M. Hikizu, “3-D Obstacle Detection Using Laser Range Finder with Polygonal Mirror for Powered Wheelchair,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.4, pp. 373-380, 2015.
-  Y. Zhuang, N. Jiang, H. Hu, and F. Yan, “3-D-Laser-Based Scene Measurement and Place Recognition for Mobile Robots in Dynamic Indoor Environments,” IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol.62, No.2, pp. 438-450, 2013.
-  J. Neves, F. Narducci, S. Barra, and H. Y. Proença, “Biometric recognition in surveillance scenarios: a survey,” Artificial Intelligence Review, 22 March, pp. 1-27, 2016.
-  R. Siegwart and I. R. Nourbakhsh, Introduction to Autonomous Mobile Robots, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2011.
-  A. Seeni, B. Schafer, B. Rebele, and N. Tolyarenko, “Robot Mobility Concepts for Extraterrestrial Surface Exploration,” Proc. of the IEEE Aerospace Conf., 2008.
-  L. Bruzzone and G. Quaglia, “Locomotion Systems for Ground Mobile Robots in Unstructured Environments,” Mechanical Sciences, Vol.3, pp. 49-62, 2012.
-  R. Altendorfer, N. Moore, H. Komsuoglu, M. Buehler, H. B. Jr. Brown, D. McMordie, U. Saranli, R. Full, and D. E. Koditschek, “RHex: a biologically inspired hexapod runner,” Auton. Robot., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 207-213, 2001.
-  R. D. Quinn, G. M. Nelson, R. J. Bachmann, D. A. Kingsley, J. T. Offi, T. J. Allen, and R. E. Ritzmann, “Parallel Complementary Strategies for Implementing Biological Principles into Mobile Robots,” Intl. J. Robot. Res., Vol.22, No.3, pp. 169-186, 2003.
-  S. D. Herbert, A. Drenner, and N. Papanikolopoulos, “Loper: A Quadruped-Hybrid Stair Climbing Robot,” Proc. 2008 IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Pasadena, CA, May 19–23, 2008.
-  R. Siegwart, M. Lauria, P. A. Maeusli, and M. Van Winnendael, “Design and Implementation of an Innovative Micro Rover,” Proc. of Robotics 98, 3rd Conf. and Exposition on Robotics in Challenging Environments, 1998.
-  G. Quaglia, L. Bruzzone, R. Oderio, and R. Razzoli, “Epi. Q Mobile Robots Family,” Proc. of the ASME 2011 Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition IMECE2011, Denver, CO, November 11–17, 2011, Vol.7, pp. 1165-1172, 2011.
-  G. Quaglia, R. Oderio, L. Bruzzone, and R. Razzoli, “A Modular Approach for a Family of Ground Mobile Robots,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol.10, 2013.
-  K. J. Huang, S. C. Chen, Y. C. Chou, S.-Y. Shen, C.-H. Li, and P.-C. Lin, “Experimental Validation of a Leg-wheel Hybrid Mobile Robot Quattroped,” 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, May 9-13, Shanghai, China, pp. 2976-2977, 2011.
-  Y.-S. Kim, G.-P. Jung, H. Kim, K.-J. Cho, and C.-N. Chu, “Wheel Transformer: A Wheel-Leg Hybrid Robot With Passive Transformable Wheels,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.30, No.6, pp. 1487-1498, 2014.
-  J.-J. Chou and L.-S. Yang, “Innovative Design of a Claw-Wheel Transformable Robot,” 2013 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Karlsruhe, Germany, May 6-10, pp. 1337-1342, 2013.
-  L. Bruzzone and P. Fanghella, “Mantis: Hybrid Leg-Wheel Ground Mobile Robot,” Industrial Robot, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 26-36, 2014.
-  L. Bruzzone and P. Fanghella, “Multibody Simulation of the Dynamic Bbehaviour of a Hybrid Leg-Wheel Ground Mobile Robot,” Proc. of the 33rd IASTED Int. Conf. on Modelling, Identification and Control MIC 2014, February 17–19, Innsbruck, Austria, pp. 237-243, 2014.
-  L. Bruzzone and P. Fanghella, “Mantis Hybrid Leg-Wheel Robot: Stability Analysis and Motion Law Synthesis for Step Climbing,” Proc. of MESA 2014, 10th IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications, September 10-12, Senigallia, Ancona, Italy, 2014.
-  L. Bruzzone and P. Fanghella, “Functional Redesign of Mantis 2.0, a Hybrid Leg-Wheel Robot for Surveillance and Inspection,” J. of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, Vol.81, pp. 215-230, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.