Development of Tool Collision Avoidance Method Adapted to Uncut Workpiece Shape
Kento Watanabe*,†, Jun’ichi Kaneko**, and Kenichiro Horio**
*Division of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saitama University
255 Shimo-Ohkubo, Sakura-Ku, Saitama City, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
**Saitama University, Saitama, Japan
This study developed an automatic planning method for tool collision avoidance, with posture adapted to the uncut shape of a workpiece to avoid collisions between the tool and workpiece in five-axis machining. This method sequentially judges the likelihood of collision between the holder and shank parts of the tool and the workpiece while machining, which is updated with tool motion. Then it automatically determines tool postures in which no collisions occur. The process of setting the search range for collision avoidance postures of the tool when collisions occur is made more efficient; it is possible to prevent rapid changes in tool posture at the time of avoidance, while reducing the time for geometric operations necessary when searching for compatible orientations.
-  X. Zhao, D. Ge, and M. Tsutsumi, “Study on CAM System for 5-Axis Controlled Machining Center – Efficient Collision Check and Collision Avoidance –,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.61, No.12, pp. 1745-1749, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  K. Morishige, K. Kase, and Y. Takeuchi, “The Method of Collision Avoidance for 5-Axis Control Machining Using 2-Dimensional Configuration Space,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.62, No.1, pp. 80-84, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  K. Konishi, Y. Fukuda, and K. Iwata, “Study on a Method of Collision Check and Collision Avoidance for 5-Axis Control Machining,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.63, No.9, pp. 1258-1262, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  K. Morishige and H. Wakayama, “Optimum Tool Path Generation for 5-Axis Control Machining Considering Change in Tool Attitude for whole of Machining Surface,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.72, No.5, pp. 652-656, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kaneko and K. Horio, “Fast Determination Method of Tool Posture for 5-Axis Control Machining Using Graphics Hardware – Estimation of machinable posture on 2D C-Space based on intersection between offset surface and lines of view –,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.72, No.8, pp. 1012-1017, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Umehara, T. Ishida, K. Teramoto, and Y. Takeuchi, “Effective Tool Pass Generation Method for Roughing in Multi-axis Control Machining,” Trans. of the JSME, Series C, Vol.73, No.732, pp. 213-219, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kanda and K. Morishige, “Tool Path Generation for Five-Axis Controlled Machining with Consideration of Tool and Structure Interference,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 710-716, 2012.
-  J. Kaneko, Y. Yamauchi, and K. Horio, “Fast Estimation Method of Machinable Area of Workpiece Surface for 3+2-Axis Control Machining Using Graphics Device – Visualization Algorithm of Machinable Area and Minimum Shank Length with Texture Projection Technique-,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 420-427, 2014.
-  R. Sato, Y. Sato, K. Shirase, G. Campatelli, and A. Scippa, “Finished Surface Simulation Method to Predicting the Effects of Machine Tool Motion Errors,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.6, pp. 801-810, 2014.
-  T. Kishinami, S. Kanai, H. Shinjyo, H. Nakahara, and K. Saito, “An Application of Voxel Representation to Machining Simulator,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.55, No.1, pp. 105-110, 1989 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nakamura, K. Funamashi, H. Fujimoto, F. Yamazaki, and I. Hasegawa, “Tool Offset Calculation by Crosscorrelation Function and Machining Test for Relief Map,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.59, No.11, pp. 59-64, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nakamoto, T. Kouno, T. Koyama, T, Sakaguchi, and K. Shirase, “Development of Virtual Machining Simulator by Using Voxel Model,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.74, No.12, pp. 1308-1312, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kobayashi, T. Hirooka, A. Hakotani, R. Sato, and K. Shirase, “Tool Motion Control Referring to Voxel Information of Removal Volume Voxel Model to Achieve Autonomous Milling Operation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.6, pp. 792-800, 2014.
-  Y. Tsuchitana, J. Kaneko, and K. Horio, “Fast Simulation Algorithm of Voxel Representation Method for Multi Axis Control Machining – Geometric Representation and Collision Detection Considering the Architecture of Graphic Hardware –,” J. of the Japan Soc. for Precision Eng., Vol.79, No.5, pp. 467-472, 2013 (in Japanese).