Ball Bar Measurement of Motion Accuracy in Simulating Cone Frustum Cutting on Multi-Axis Machine Tools
Yukitoshi Ihara†, Kazutaka Tsuji, and Toru Tajima
Osaka Institute of Technology
5-16-1 Omiya, Asahi-ku, Osaka 535-8585, Japan
-  ISO10791-6, “Machine Tools – Test conditions for machining centres – Part 6: Accuracy of speeds and interpolations,” 2014.
-  ISO10791-7, “Machine Tools – Test conditions for machining centres – Part 7: Accuracy of finished test piece,” 2014.
-  S. Bossoni, “Geometric and Dynamic Evaluation and Optimization of Machining Centers,” Fortschritt-Berichte VDI, Reihe 2, Nr. 672, 2009.
-  Y. Ihara and S. Matsushita, “A Study on Tool Position and Posture Measurement Device by Using Parallel Mechanism,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 271-276, 2009.
-  Y. Mizugaki, “Effect of Workpiece Location on Manipulability Measure in 5-Axis-Controlled Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 268-272, 2010.
-  B. Sencer and Y. Altintas, “Identification of 5-Axis Machine Tools Feed Drive Systems for Contouring Simulation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 377-386, 2011.
-  S. Ibaraki and W. Knapp, “Indirect Measurement of Volumetric Accuracy for Three-Axis and Five-Axis Machine Tools: A Review,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 110-124, 2012.
-  S. Ibaraki and Y. Ota, “Error Calibration for Five-Axis Machine Tools by On-the-Machine Measurement Using a Touch-Trigger Probe,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 20-27, 2014.
-  M. Tsutsumi and A. Saito, “Identification and compensation of systematic deviations particular to 5-axis machining centers,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.43, pp. 771-780, 2003.
-  M. Tsutsumi and A. Saito, “Identification of angular and positional deviations inherent to 5-axis machining centers with a tilting-rotary table by simultaneous four-axis control movements,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.44, pp. 1333-1342, 2004.
-  Y. Kakino, S. Ibaraki, I. Yamaji, K. Ogawa, and H. Ota, “Measurement of Motion Accuracies of Five-axis Machine Tools by Using the Double Ball Bar Method DBB5,” Proc. of 2008 Int. Symposium on Flexible Automation, 2008.
-  S. Ibaraki, Y. Nakino, T. Akai, N. Takayama, I. Yamaji, and K. Ogawa, “Identification of Motion Error Sources on Five-axis Machine Tools by Ball-bar Measurements,” Precision Engineering, Vol.76, No.3, pp. 333-337, 2010.
-  Y. Ihara, “Ball Bar Measurement on Machine Tools with Rotary Axes,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 180-187, 2012.
-  S. Weikert, “R-test, a New Device for Accuracy Measurement on Five Axis Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 429-432, 2004.
-  B. Bringmann and A. Küng, “A new Measuring Artefact for true 3D Machine Tool Testing and Calibration,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 471-474, 2005.
-  B. Bringmann and W. Knapp, “Model-based Chase-the-Ball Calibration of a 5-Axes Machining Center,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 531-534, 2006.
-  G. H. J. Florussen and H. A. M. Spaan, “Static R-test: allocating the centerline of rotary axes of machine tools,” Laser metrology and machine performance VIII, pp. 196-202, 2007.
-  S. Ibaraki, C. Oyama, and Otsubo, “Construction of an Error Map of Rotary Axes on a Five-axis Machining Center by Static Rtest,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.51, pp. 190-200, 2011.
-  Y. Ihara and Y. Hiramatsu, “Design of Motion Accuracy Measurement Device for NC Machine Tools with Three Displacement Sensors,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 847-854, 2011.
-  C. Hong and S. Ibaraki, “Observation of Thermal Influence on Error Motions of Rotary Axes on a Five-Axis Machine Tool by Static R-Test,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 196-204, 2012.
-  S. Ibaraki, Y. Nagai, H. Otsubo, Y. Sakai, S. Morimoto, and Y. Miyazaki, “R-Test Analysis Software for Error Calibration of Five-Axis Machine Tools – Application to a Five-Axis Machine Tool with Two Rotary Axes on the Tool Side –,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 387-395, 2015.
-  NAS 979, “Uniform cutting tests – metal cutting equipment specifications,” Aerospace Industries Association of America, pp. 34-37, 1969.
-  C. Hong, S. Ibaraki, and A. Matsubara, “Influence of Position-dependent Geometric Errors of Rotary Axes on a Machining Test of Cone Frustum by Five-axis Machine Tools,” Precision Engineering, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 1-11, 2011.
-  Y. Ihara, “Possibility of Ball Bar Test on Multi-axis Machining Center,” Laser Metrology and Machine Performance VII, pp. 107-115, 2005.
-  M. Matano and Y. Ihara, “Ball bar measurement of five-axis conical movement,” Laser Metrology and Machine Performance VIII, pp. 34-43, 2007.
-  N. Kato, M. Tsutsumi, and Y. Chen, “Error evaluation by geometry deviation on five-axis controlled machining center that imitates cone frustum cutting,” Proc. of Spring meeting of JSPE, pp. 703-704, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Takeuchi, “Special Issue on Multiaxis Control and Multitasking Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.1, No.2, 2007.
-  A. Nagae, T. Muraki, and H. Yamamoto, “History and Current Situation of Multi-Tasking Machine Tools,” J. of SME Japan, Vol.1, pp. 1-5, 2012.
-  ISO13041-6, “Test conditions for numerically controlled turning machines and turning centres – Part 6: Accuracy of a finished test piece,” 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.