Study on the Online Monitoring of Burn Marks by Gas Sensor
Yoshio Fukushima*,†, Takashi Suzuki**, Kouki Onda**, Hidekazu Komatsu**, Hiroki Kuroiwa**, and Tetsushi Kaburagi**
*Saitama Institute of Technology
1690 Fusaiji, Fukaya 369-0293, Japan
*2Gunma Industrial Technology Center, Maebashi, Japan
Burn marks are serious defects in injection-molded parts that can result in many defective products. There is thus a great demand for effective systems to reduce these defects in injection-molded products. In this study, we investigate the relationship between gas generation and molding conditions using gas sensors. The results show that gas sensors can be used to monitor burn marks.
-  J. Shoemaker, “Mold flow Design Guide,” Hanser Gardner Publications, 2006.
-  K. Hashimoto, K. Ota, J. .Iwasaki, Y. Hagata, Y. Suzuki, and K. Terashima, “Development of a Sand Mold Press Casting Process: Post-Filled Formed Casting Process,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 253-258, 2008.
-  F. Klocke, S. Kratz, T. Auerbach, S. Gierlings, G. Wirtz, and D. Veselovac, “Process Monitoring and Control of Machining Operations,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 403-411, 2011.
-  D. Kurihara, Y. Kakinuma, and S. Katsura, “Sensorless Cutting Force Monitoring Using Parallel Disturbance Observer,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 415-421, 2009.
-  S.-J. Chiu, Y.-S. Wu, “A comparative study on thermal and catalytic degradation of polybutylene terephthalate,” J. of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol.86, pp. 22-27, 2009.
-  H. Sato, H. Ohtani, and S. Tsyge, “Characterization of Functional Polymers by Temperature Programmed Pyrolysis-Mass Spectrometry,” J. Mass Spectrom.Soc.Jpn, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 283-288, 1998.
-  H. Ohtani, “Thermal Decomposition of Flame Retarded Polyester Fibers,” J. Mass Spectrom. Soc. Jpn, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 361-364, 1998.
-  T. Nakamoto, “Odor Sensor and Odor Recorder,” J. Japan Association on Odor Environment, Vol.37, No.3, pp. 164-171, 2006.
-  W. Shin, M. Nishibori, and I. Matsubara, “Thermoelectric hydrogen gas sensor – Technology to secure safety in hydrogen usage and international standardization of hydrogen gas sensor –,” Synthesiology, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 92-99, 2011.
-  T. Kaburagi, M. Kurose, T. Ogawa, H. Kuroiwa, and T. Iwasawa, “Investigation of Flow and Sink Initiation Process in Mold Shapes in Injection Molding,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 10-17, 2015.
-  T. Suzuki, Y. Motegi, H. Kuroiwa,Y. Fukushima, F. Ichikura, and Y. Murata, “Partial Carbonization od Polymers with Generating Hydrogen and Methane Wgich was Induced by Metaks in the Mold,” Preprints of Seikei-Kakou Annual Metting, pp. 99-100, 2011.
-  Y. Fukushima, T. Suzuki, H. Kuroiwa, and H. Komatsu, “Basic Study on online out-gas detection by gas sensors,” Preprints of Seikei-Kakou Autumnal Metting, pp. 311-312, 2012.
-  T. Suzuki, H. Kuroiwa, Y. Fukushima, F. Ichikura, and Y. Murata, “Surface Carbonization Induced by Enhancing Decomposition of Poly (1,4-butylene terephthalate) on Metals in an Apparatus Injection Molding,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.24, No.10, pp. 590-294, 2012.
-  Y. Fukushima, H. Kuroiwa, H. Komatsu, T. Suzuki, T. Suda, and Y. Murata, “Study on Combustion Behavior of PBT Polymer in Injection Molding by Combustion Gas Collection and Component Analysis,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 27-33 ,2014.
-  K. Onda, Y. Fukushima, T. Suzuki, H. Kuroiwa, and H. Komatsu, “Behavior of Gas Generation During Injection Molding of Poly(Butylene terephthalate) in the Presencr and Absense of Inert Gas,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.26, No.8, pp. 395-398, 2014.
-  Y. Fukushima, M. Kurose, and H. Kumehara, “Monitoring System to Minimize Deformation od Die-Casting by Orthogonal Analysis and SOM,” J. of Society of Materials Science, Japan, Vol.58, No.5, pp. 430-436, 2009.
-  Y. Fukushima and H. Kumehara, “A study on monitoring system of casting process by SOM,” Proc. of ICOTA7, 2008.
-  Y. Fukushima, T. Suzuki, H. Kuroiwa, H. Komatsu, T. Iwasawa, and F. Ichikura, Japan Patent No.5879599.
-  K. Kakishima, Y. Urano, M. Seto, and M. Yamabe, “Visualization of Cell Generation Process in Injection Foam Molding,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.27, No.6, pp. 233-239, 2015.
-  K. Matsuzaka and H. Yokoi, “Study on Pilp Injection Molding (Part-3) – Static Visualization Analysis of Material Flow Behaviors in Thickness Change Area –,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.28, No.5, pp. 201-207, 2016.