Development of Warm-Press-Forming Method of CFRTP Motor Vehicle Floors with Complicated Shapes
Masashi Kurose*1,†, Hitoshi Nakamura*2, Masato Nishi*3, Tei Hirashima*3, Norihide Abe*4, and Tetsushi Kaburagi*5
*1National Institute of Technology, Gunma College
580 Toriba, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
*2Asano Co., Ltd., Gunma, Japan
*3JSOL Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
*4Tokyo Institute of Technology, Kanagawa, Japan
*5Gunma Industrial Technology Center, Gunma, Japan
In this paper, some large automotive parts with complex shapes are produced to report the results of our efforts to develop press molding technologies for thermoplastic carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRTP). Members of industry, academia, and the government collaborated to realize this project. The project includes a molding experiment, CAE analysis, and material strength measurements. In the material test, a tensile test, bending test, heat distortion test, and torsion test are carried out to produce several stress-strain curves. Applying the new analytical model in the simulation shows that accuracy is improved. As a result, by measuring the temperature change during the forming of complex shapes, a large automotive part with a complex shape was successfully molded in a short time. Other productivity improvements are also reported on.
-  T. Ohashi, T. Ando, and N. Nakaoka, “In-Process Measurement of Elastic Deformation of a Large Deep-Drawing-Die with Fusion of Experiment and Numerical Analysis,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 457-464, 2009.
-  K. Kishida, T. Nakamura, H. Aoyama, N. Matsushita, and A. Ushimaru, “Basic Study on Laser Forming of Curved Surfaces with Simulation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 24-29, 2013.
-  J. O. Hallquist, LS-DYNA Theory Manual, ISBN 0-9778540-0-0, 2006.
-  Molex3D, available: http://www.moldex3d.com/en/ [accessed April 16, 2016]
-  Y. Maeda and Y. Otsuka, “High-Performance Simulation of Mold Filling Using Porous Media Method,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 247-252, 2008.
-  T. Kaburagi, M. Kurose, T. Ogawa, H. Kuroiwa, and T. Iwasawa, “Investigation of Flow and Sink Initiation Process in Mold Shapes in Injection Molding,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 10-18, 2015.
-  H. Tanaka, N. Asakawa, and M. Hirao, “Forming Type Rapid Prototyping Development – Error Compensation with Shape Measurement,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 462-467, 2008.
-  L. Ulich and P. Fairley, “Carbon car [2013 Tech To Watch],” IEEE Spect., Vol.50, pp. 30-31, 2013.
-  A. C. Long, “Composite forming technologies,” CRC Press, Woodhead Pub., Cambridge, UK, pp. 256-276, 2007.
-  Y. Nakasone, “Theory of Elasticity of Anisotropic Materials,” Corona Publishing Co., ltd, 2014.
-  K. Akai, Y. Kageyama, K. Sato, N. Nishino, and K. Kageyama, “AHP Analysis of the Preference of Engineers for Suitable CFRP for Automobile Parts,” Int. J. of Automation Technology,” Vol.9, No.3, pp. 222-234, 2015.
-  Digimat, available: http://www.e-xstream.com/products/digimat/about-digimat [accessed April 16, 2016]
-  S. B. Sharma and M. P. F. Sutcliffe, “A simplified finite element model for draping of woven material,” Compos. Part A: Appl. Sci. Manuf., Vol.35, pp. 637-643, 2004.
-  M. Nishi and T. Hirashima, “Approach for dry textile composite forming simulation,” in Proc.19th Int. Conf. Compos. Mat., Canada, 2013.
-  M. Nishi, T. Hirashima, and T. Kurashiki, “Textile composite reinforcement forming analysis considering out-of-plane bending stiffness and tension dependent in-plane shear behavior,” in Proc. 16th Eur. Conf. Compos. Mat., Spain, 2014.
-  P. Boisse, B. Zouari, and J. L. Daniel, “Importance of in-plane shear rigidity in finite element analyses of woven fabric composite preforming,” Compos. Part A: Appl. Sci. Manuf., Vol.37, pp. 2201-2212, 2006.
-  Y. Aimene, B. Hagege, F. Sidoroff, E. Vidal-Salle, P. Boisse, and S. Dridi, “Hyperelastic approach for composite reinforcement forming simulations,” Int. J. Mater. Form.,Vol.1, pp. 811-814, 2011.
-  P. Wang, N. Hamila, and P. Boisse, “Thermoforming simulation of multilayer composites with continuous fibres and thermoplastic matrix,” Compos. Part B: Eng., Vol.52, pp. 127-136, 2013.
-  J. Launay, G. Hivet, A.V. Duong, and P. Boisse, “Experimental analysis of the influence of tensions on in plane shear behavior of woven composite reinforcements,” Compos. Sci. Technol., Vol.68, pp. 506-515, 2008.
-  P. Harrison, M. J. Clifford, A.C. Long, and C.D. Rudd, “A constituent-based predictive approach to modelling the rheology of viscous textile composites,” Compos. Part A: Appl. Sci. Manuf., Vol.35, pp. 915-931, 2004.
-  S. Hineno, T. Yoneyama, D. Tatsuno, M. Kimura, K. Shiozaki, T. Moriyasu, M. Okamoto, and S. Nagashima, “Fiber Deformation Behavior during Press Forming of Rectangle Cup by Using Plane Weave Carbon Fiber Reinforced Thermoplastic Sheet,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.81, pp. 1614-1619, 2014.
-  P. de Luca, P. Lefébure, and A. K. Pickett, “Numerical and experimental investigation of some press forming parameters of two fibre reinforced thermoplastics: APC2-AS4 and PEI-CETEX,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol.29, Issues 1–2, pp. 101-110, 1998.
-  Q. Chen, P. Boisse, C. H. Park, A. Saouab, and J. Bréard, “Intra/inter-ply shear behaviors of continuous fiber reinforced thermoplastic composites in thermoforming processes,” Composite Structures, Vol.93, Issue 7, pp. 1692-1703, 2011.
-  S. Isogawa, H. Aoki, and M. Tejima, “Isothermal Forming of CFRTP Sheet by Penetration of Hemispherical Punch,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.81, pp. 1620-1626, 2014.
-  P. Wang, N. Hamila, and P. Boisse, “Thermoforming simulation of multilayer composites with continuous fibres and thermoplastic matrix,” Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol.52, pp. 127-136, Sep. 2013.
-  I. Ivanov and A. Tabiei, “Loosely woven fabric model with viscoelastic crimped fibres for ballistic impact simulations,” Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., Vol.61, pp. 1565-1583, 2004.
-  M. Nishi, T. Kaburagi, M. Kurose, T. Hirashima, and T. Kurasiki, “Forming Simulation of Thermoplastic Pre-Impregnated Textile Composite,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology Int. J. of Chemical, Nuclear, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Vol.8, No.8, pp. 671-679, 2014．
-  Asano Co., Ltd., http://www.asano-japan.com/index.html [accessed April 16, 2016]