Technical Review of Laser Materials Processing in Japan
Research and Development Initiative, Chuo University
1-13-27 Kasuga Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
The history of the developments of the laser processing technologies in Japan was analyzed. During past 50 years of the processing technologies were divided of first half of 25 years and the latter half, and they were compared. During the first half, the laser was evaluated as an alternative to conventional heat-processing technology. In the recent 25 years, the diversification of laser application was spread by development of laser equipment and materials processing technologies. And surface functionalization with short pulsed laser and 3D Additive Manufacturing were developed widely.
-  T. Arai, “Fundamental Engineering[ Science for Laser Materials Processing,” MARUZEN Publishing, p. 521, Dec. 2013.
-  Photos courtesy of CFITIZEN Machinery Co.,Ltd., Samples of JIMTOF 2014.
-  T. Arai, “Latest Trends in Laser processing and Machining Technologies Related to Tribology,” J. of Japan Society of Tribologists, Vol.35, No.11, p. 783, 2010.
-  E. Willenborg, Industrial Laser Solutions, Jan. 22, 2010.
-  Photos courtesy of Mitsubishi Materials Corporation, Samples of JIMTOF 2014.
-  H. Sawade et al, “Effect of precise Periodic Structure with Femtosecond-laser on Tribological Characteristics under Sliding Tests,” JSPE, Vol.70, No.1, pp. 133-137, 2004.
-  G. Wylde, the 32nd Seminar of JSLT, Nov. 2008.
-  Photos courtesy of Matsuura Materials Corporation, Samples of JIMTOF 2014.
-  Photos courtesy of Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Samples of JIMTOF 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.