In-Process Tool Wear Detection of Uncoated Square End Mill Based on Electrical Contact Resistance
Amine Gouarir*,†, Syuhei Kurokawa*, Takao Sajima*, and Mitsuaki Murata**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kyushu University
744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kyushu Sangyo University, Japan
-  S. Kurada and C. Bradley, “A review of machine vision sensors for tool condition monitoring,” Computers in Industry, Vol.34, No.1, pp. 55-72, 1997.
-  S. Ibaraki, A. Matsubara, and M. Murozumi, “Efficiency Comparison of Cutting Strategies for End Milling Processes Under Feedrate Scheduling,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.5, pp. 377-383.
-  T. Matsumura, M. Shimada, K. Teramoto, and E. Usui, “Predictive Cutting Force Model and Cutting Force Chart for Milling with Cutter Axis Inclination,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 30-38.
-  S. Y. Liang and D. A. Dornfeld, “Tool wear Detection using Time series Analysis of Acoustic Emission,” Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.11, No.205, 1989.
-  W. H. Wang, G. S. Hong, Y. S. Wong, and K. P. Zhu, “Sensor fusion for on-line tool condition monitoring in milling,” Int. Journal of Production Research, Vol.45, No.21, pp. 5095-5116, 2007 (in press).
-  Z. Kunpeng, W. Y. San, and H. G. Soon, “Wavelet analysis of sensor signals for tool condition monitoring: A review and some new results,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.49, pp. 537-553, 2009.
-  S. C. Lin and R. J. Lin, “Tool wear monitoring in face milling using force signals,” Wear, Vol.198, No.1-2, pp. 136-142, 1996.
-  D. E. Dimla Snr., “Tool wear monitoring using cutting force measurements,” 15th NCMR: Advances in Manufacturing Technology XIII, pp. 33-37, 1999.
-  K. Nakamoto, S. Mitsuhashi, K. Adachi, and K. Shirase, “A Machine Tool Spindle Achieving Real-Time Balancing Using Magnetic Fluid,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 193-198.
-  H. Sawano, R. Kobayashi, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A Proposed Ultraprecision Machining Process Monitoring Method Using Causal Network Model of Air Spindle System,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 362-368.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, M. Nomura, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Wear Behavior of Grain Cutting Edge in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding Using Mini-Size Wheel,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 365-372.
-  E. Kuljanic and M. Sortino, “TWEM: A method based on cutting forces-monitoring tool wear in face milling,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.45, pp. 29-34, 2005.
-  J. Srinivas and K. R. Kotaiah, “Tool wear monitoring with indirect Alloy,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 7174, 2005.
-  H. Suzuki, M. Okada, K. Okada, and Y. Ito, “Precision Cutting of Ceramics with Milling Tool of Single Crystalline Diamond,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 26-32.
-  R. Tanaka, A. Hosokawa, T. Furumoto, and T. Ueda, “Effects of Tool Edge Geometry on Cutting Temperature in Continuous Cutting of Case Hardened Steel,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 313-320.
-  S. Maegawa, Y. Morikawa, S. Hayakawa, F. Itoigawa, and T. Nakamura, “Effects of Fiber Orientation Direction on Tool-Wear Processes in Down-Milling of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Laminates,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 356-364.
-  B. Denkena, J. Köhler, R. Meyer, and J. H. Stiffel, “Modification of the Tool-Workpiece Contact Conditions to Influence the Tool Wear and Workpiece Loading During Hard Turning,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 353-361.
-  M. Murata, S. Kurokawa, O. Ohnishi, M. Uneda, and T. Doi, “Real-Time Evaluation of Tool Flank Wear by In-Process Contact Resistance Measurement in Face Milling,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, System and Manufacturing, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 958-970, 2012.
-  K. J. Lee, T. M Lee, and M. Y. Yang, “Tool wear monitoring system for CNC end milling using a hybrid approach to cutting force regulation,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.32, pp. 8-17, 2007.
-  A. Gouarir, S. Kurokawa, M. Murata, and H. Fujiwara, “Performance analysis of high speed tool wear detection system,,” Proc. ADCONIP 2014.
-  M. Murata, S. Kurokawa, O. Ohnishi, M. Uneda, and T. Doi, “Development of High Speed Tool Wear Detection System by using DC Two-Terminal Methods,” Proc. of the 9th Cooperative and Joint Int. Conf. on Ultra-precision Machining Process 2013, pp. 72-76, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.