Upgradable Design for Sustainable Manufacturer Performance and Profitability and Reduction of Environmental Load
Shuho Yamada*1,†, Tetsuo Yamada*2, Stefan Bracke*3, and Masato Inoue*4
*1Graduate School of Science and Technology, Meiji University
1-1-1 Higashi-Mita, Tama-ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 214-8571, Japan
*2Department of Informatics, The University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan
*3Chair of Reliability Engineering and Risk Analytics, University of Wuppertal (BUW), Wuppertal, Germany
*4Department of Mechanical Engineering Informatics, Meiji University, Kanagawa, Japan
-  http://www.env.go.jp/en/wpaper/2014/pdf/00.pdf [accessed Dec. 26, 2015]
-  K. Masui, “Current Status of Environmentally Conscious Design Among Japanese Manufacturers,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 19-25, 2009.
-  T. Yamada, Y. Yoshizaki, N. Itsubo, and M. Inoue, “Low-Carbon and Economic Supplier Selection Using Life Cycle Inventory Database by Asian International Input-Output Tables,” Proc. of 12th GCSM, 2012.
-  O. Pialot and D. Millet, “Why upgradability should be considered for rationalizing materials?,” Proc. of the 21th CIRP Int. Conf. on Life Cycle Enginering, pp. 379-384, 2014.
-  S. Yamada, T. Yamada, S. Bracke, and M. Inoue, “Upgradable Design for Reduction of Production Cost and CO2 Emission – Case Study of a Laptop Computer,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol.761, pp. 589-593, May 2015.
-  J. Ospina, P. Maher, C. Fitzpatrck, S. Hickey, K. Schischke, I. Vidorreta, J. Garatea, M. Yang, G. Obersteiner, E. den Boer, and I.D. Williams, “The D4R laptop computer – from prototype to market leader,” Proc. of CARE INNOVATION 2014, November 2014.
-  Y. Ishigami, H. Yagi, S. Kondoh, Y. Umeda, Y. Shimomura, and M. Yoshioka, “Development of a design methodology for upgradability involving changes of functions,” Proc. of EcoDesign 2003 Int. Sym., pp. 235-242, 2003.
-  W. W. Finch and A. C. Ward, “Generalized set propagation operations over relation of more than three variables,” AIEDAM, Vol.9, pp. 231-242, 1995.
-  K. Watanabe, Y. Shimomura, A. Matsuda, S. Kondoh, and Y. Umeda, “Upgrade planning for upgradeable product design,” Quantified Eco-Efficiency, Vol.22, pp. 261-281, 2007.
-  S. Fukushige, M. Arino, and Y. Umeda, “Computer-aided design for product upgradability under geometric constraints,” Proc. of EcoDesign 2011 Int. Sym., pp. 828-831, 2011.
-  M. Inoue, S. Yamada, T. Yamada, and S. Bracke, “An Upgradable Product Design Method for Improving Performance, CO2 Savings, and Production Cost Reduction: Vacuum Cleaner Case Study,” Int. J. of SCM, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 100-106, 2014.
-  D. K. Sobek, A. C. Ward, and J. K. Liker, “Toyota’s Principles of Set-Based Concurrent Engineering,” Sloan Manag. Rev., Vol.40, No.2, pp. 67-83, 1999.
-  S. Bracke, J. Michalski, M. Inoue, and T. Yamada, “CDMF-RELSUS concept: reliable products are sustainable products- influences on product design, manufacturing and use phase,” Int. J. of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 57-73, 2014.
-  S. Yamada, T. Yamada, K. Nakano, S. Bracke, and M. Inoue, “An Environmental Conscious Product Design Method for Sustainability of Product’s Value,” Proc. of CARE INNOVATION 2014, November, 2014.
-  M. Inoue, Y.-E. Nahm, K. Tanaka, and H. Ishikawa, “Collaborative engineering among designers with different preferences: application of the preference set-based design to the design problem of an automotive front-side frame,” CE: Research and Applications, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 252-267, 2013.
-  https://www.keisan.nta.go.jp/survey/publish/34255/faq/34311/faq_34353.php [accessed Apr. 14, 2015]
-  Y. Hirayama, Y. Matsuno, and H. Honda, “Application of Analytic Hierarchy Process to Analysis of Consumers’ Decision Making,” Environ Sci., Vol.18, No.3, pp. 217-227, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  P. E. Green and V. Srinivasan, “Conjoint Analysis in Consumer Research: Issues and Outlook,” J. of Consumer Research, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 103-123, 1978.
-  Y. Akao, “QFD: quality function deployment- integrating customer requirements into product design,” Productivity Press, 2004.
-  M. Ishikawa and M. Akai, “LCA Guidebook for Companies,” Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  http://www.cms-cfp-japan.jp/calculate/verify/pdf/CO2kansanryo_db_ver4_jp_20120410.pdf [accessed May. 21, 2014]
-  J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, “Particle Swarm Optimization,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, Vol.4, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.