Estimation of Cutting Temperature in High-Feed-Speed Machining of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Thermoplastics
Takuki Ishida†, Ryo Koike, Tojiro Aoyama, and Yasuhiro Kakinuma
School of Integrated Design Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University
3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
In recent years, many composite materials have been used in industry. Among such materials, the demand for carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) is increasing. Although CRFP is used in various fields such as the aerospace industry, automotive industry, and sports equipment because of its light weight and high strength, it has poor production efficiency. Thus, carbon fiber-reinforced thermoplastic (CFRTP), with characteristics similar to CFRP but higher in production efficiency, has attracted attention in areas such as the automotive industry. Because CFRTP is used as a structural element, it is usually drilled to allow connection to other parts. However, it is a difficult-to-cut material requiring the development of a high-accuracy, high-efficiency processing method. This study proposes high-feed-speed processing as a method that achieves high-quality drilling at low cost. The cutting temperature was estimated to verify the effect of the high-feed-speed processing method, and processing conditions that prevented delamination and burring were identified.
-  M. Hagino and T. Inoue, “Effect of Carbon Fiber Orientation and Helix Angle on CFRP Cutting Characteristics by End-Milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 292-299, 2013.
-  J. Fujiwara, R. Nagaura, and T. Tashiro, “Drilling of CFRP/Ti6Al4V Stack Board,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 426-432, 2013.
-  K. Kerrigan and G. E. O'Donnell, “Temperature Measurement in CFRP Milling Using a Wireless Tool-Integrated Process Monitoring Sensor,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 742-750, 2013.
-  T. Inoue and M. Hagino, “Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials with Carbon Fiber Distribution,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 285-291, 2013.
-  K. Akai, Y. Kageyama, K. Sato, N. Nishino, and K. Kageyama, “AHP Analysis of the Preference of Engineers for Suitable CFRP for Automobile Parts,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 222-234, 2015.
-  S. Tamura and T. Matsumura, “Cutting Force Prediction in Drilling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 59-66, 2015.
-  K. Zhang, Y. Gu, M. li, and Z. Zhang, “Effect of rapid curing process on the properties of carbon fiber/epoxy composite fabricated using vacuum assisted resin infusion molding,” Materials and Design, Vol.54, pp. 624-631, 2014.
-  B. Ehrhart, R. Ecault, F. Touchard, M. Boustie, L. Berthe, C. Bockenheimer, and B. Valeske, “Development of a laser shock adhesion test for the assessment of weak adhesive bonded CFRP structures,” Int. J. of Adhesion & Adhesives, Vol.52, pp. 57-65, 2014.
-  J. Wulfsberg, A. Herrmann, G. Ziegmann, G. Lonsdorfer, N. Stöß, and M. Fette, “Combination of carbon fibre sheet moulding compound and prepreg compression moulding in aerospace industry,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.81, pp. 1601-1607, 2014.
-  J. Liu, D. Zhang, L. Qin, and L. Yan, “Feasibility study of the rotary ultrasonic elliptical machining of carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP),” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.53, pp. 141-150, 2012.
-  C. C. Tsao, H. Hocheng, and Y. C. Chen, “Delamination reduction in drilling composite materials by active backup force,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, pp. 91-94, 2012.
-  A. Hosokawa, N. Hirose, T. Ueda, and T. Furumoto, “High-quality machining of CFRP with high helix end mill,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.63, pp. 89-92, 2014.
-  A. Sadek, M. H. Attia, M. Meshreki, and B. Shi, “Characterization and optimization of vibration-assisted drilling of fibre reinforced epoxy laminates,” CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Vol.62, pp. 91-94, 2013.
-  Y. Doke, Y. Nishigaki, K. Chihara, M. Kayaoka, and F. Nishimura, “Study of the three-dimensional molding of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Thermoplastics (I),” Industrial Research Institute of Gifu Prefecture, No.2, pp. 35-38, 2014.
-  H. Tsuge, T. Kaga, and M. Kayaoka, “Establishment of the cutting and grinding processing technology of CFRTP (I),” No.2, pp. 39-42, 2014.
-  S. Panthapulakkal, A. Zereshkian, and M. Sain, “Preparation and characterization of wheat straw fibers for reinforcing application in injection molded thermoplastic composites,” Bioresouce Technology, Vol.97, pp. 265-272, 2006.
-  S. Pillay, U. K. Vaidya, and G. M. Janowski, “Effects of moisture and UV exposure on liquid molded carbon fabric reinforced nylon 6 composite laminates,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.69, pp. 839-846, 2009.
-  Y. Kakinuma, T. Ishida, R. Koike, H. Klemme, B. Denkena, and T. Aoyama, “Ultrafast Feed Drilling of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Thermoplastics,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.35, pp. 91-95, 2015.
-  T. Kaga, and T. Ando, “Study on cutting of carbon fiber reinforced thermo plastics,” Industrial Research Institute of Gifu Prefecture, No.1, pp. 24-27, 2013.
-  R. Stone and K. Krishnamurthy, “A neural network thrust force controller to minimize delamination during drilling of graphite-epoxy laminates,” Int J Mach Tools Manuf, Vol.36, No.9, pp. 985-1003, 1996.
-  T. J. Grilo, R. M. F. Paulo, C. R. M. Silva, and J. P. Davim, “Experimental delamination analyses of CFRPs using different drill geometries,” Composites: Part B, Vol.45, pp. 1344-1350, 2013.
-  V. Schulze, C. Becke, K. Weidenmann, and S. Dietrich, “Machining strategies for hole making in composites with minimal workpiece damage by directing the process forces inwards,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.211, pp. 329-338, 2011.