Informatics to Support Tactics and Strategies in Curling
Fumito Masui*,†, Kohsuke Hirata*, Hiromu Otani*, Hitoshi Yanagi*,**, and Michal Ptaszynski*
*Department of Computer Science, Kitami Institute of Technology (KIT)
165 Kouen-cho, Kitami, Hokkaido 090-8507, Japan
**High Performance Committee, Japan Curling Association (JCA)
This paper presents game information analysis by utilizing a digital scorebook system, as the first tool for curling informatics, which supports coaches and players in realizing smart tactics and strategies in the sport of curling. Our research project, called “Curling Informatics,” aims to develop an environment to support curling strategies and tactics by realizing methods to record game information, perform analysis, and provide visualization and sharing of the information.
We found a significant correlation between the differences in shot accuracies and scores from game information collected by our digital scorebook system for more than 200 games played by the Japanese national class. The results suggest that the difference in shot accuracies is related to the difference in game scores. This is valuable new knowledge to support strategic/tactical planning in curling games. However, the correlation for games involving world-class teams becomes weaker than for the Japanese national class because there is scarcely any difference in shot accuracies.
-  M. Kagawa, “Effect of Multimedia Information on Web Pages in Physical Training Class of University,” Journal of Japan Society for Educational Technology, Vol.29, pp. 37–40, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  A. Fujimura and K. Sugihara, “Quantitative Evaluation of Sport Teamwork Using Generalized Voronoi Diagrams,” IEICE Transactions D, Vol. J87-D2, No.3, pp. 818–828, 2004. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Ikuta, Y. Matsuda, Y. Yamada, N. Kida, S. Oda, and T. Moritani, “Relationship between decreased swimming velocity and muscle activity during 200-m front crawl,” ARTICLE in ARBEITSPHYSIOLOGIE, Vol.112, No.9, pp. 3417–3429, 2012.
-  M. Silva, D. Lacerda, and P. V. Jo ao, “Game-Related Volleyball Skills that Influence Victory,” Journal of Human Kinetics, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 173–179, 2015.
-  C. Gorski, “Curling Science: Success this slick sport requires intense physical effort and concentration,” INSIDE SCIENCE NEWS SERVICE, 2010, http://www.insidescience.org/ [accessed December 14, 2015]
-  R. Howard, “Curl to Win: Expert Advice to Improve Your Game,” HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2009.
-  G. Coleman, “Introduction to Curling Strategy,” Amazon Services International, Inc., 2014.
-  MRA. Shegelski, “The Motion of a Curling Rock,” Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol.74, pp. 663–670, 1996.
-  MRA. Shegelski, “The Motion of a Curling Rock: Analytical approach,” Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol.78, pp. 857–864, 2000.
-  M. Denny, “Curling Rock Dynamics,” Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol.76, pp. 295–304, 1998.
-  M. Denny, “Curling Rock Dynamics: Towards a Realistic Model,” Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol.80, pp. 1005–1014, 2002.
-  A. R. Penner, “The Physics of Sliding Cylinders and Curling Rocks,” American Journal of Physics, Vol.69, No.3, pp. 332–339, 2001.
-  E. T. Jensen, “The motion of curling rocks: Experimental investigation and semi-phenomenological description,” Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol.82, pp. 791–809, 2004.
-  N. Maeno, “Curl Mechanism of a Curling Stone on Ice Pebbles,” Bullet in of Glaciological Research, Vol.28, pp. 1–6, 2010.
-  T. Nittono, K. Kadowaki, T. Komagome, M. Tokumoto, K. Hattori, and Y. Maeno, “Experimental study of curling; measurements of curl ratio of a curling stone,” Seppyo, Vol.75, No.3, pp. 137–146, 2013.
-  N. Maeno, “Dynamics and curl ratio of a curling stone,” Sports Engineering, Vol.17, pp. 33–41, 2014.
-  N. Maeno, “Mechanism of Curling Stone to Curl – Evaporation-Abrasion Model –,” Proceedings of JSSI and JSSE Joint Conference, p. 219, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  [Behm2009] D. G. Behm, “Periodized Training Program of the Canadian Olympic Curling Team,” Journal of National Strength and Conditioning Association JAPAN, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 40–47, 2009.
-  S. Takahashi, “Support the Japan Women’s Curling National Team by a Trainer,” Journal of Training Science for Exercise and Sport, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 7–12, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yanagi and K. Miyakoshi, “Training Science on College Curling Team,” Journal of Training Science for Exercise and Sport, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 13–19, 2011 (in Japanse).
-  H. Yanagi, K. Miyakoshi, Y. Nakajima, N. Yamamoto, and T. Isaka, “Measurement of Forces Exerted during Sweeping in Curling,” Proceedings of the XXVIth International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports, p. 718, 2008.
-  H. Yanagi, K. Miyakoshi, M. Fukuoka, and N. Yamamoto, “Development of curling brush for measuring force exerted during sweeping,” Proceedings of 30th Annual Conference of Biomechanics in Sports, pp. 354–356, 2012.
-  J. Bradley, “The sports science of curling: A practical review,” Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, Vol.8, pp. 495–500, 2009.
-  Y. Tanaka, H. Tsubota, Y. Takeda, and T. Tsuji, “Analysis of Human Hand Movements Using a Virtual Curling System,” Proceedings of Conference on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A1-3F-E1, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  J. K. Kostuk, A. K. Willoughby, P. H. A. Saedt, “Modeling Curling as a Markov Process,” European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.133, Issue 3, pp. 557–565, 2001.
-  H. Igarashi, S. Ishihara, and M. Kimura, “A Study of Policy-Gradient Methods in Non-Markov Decision Processes : Curling Game Application,” IEICE Technical Report, NC2006-148, pp. 179–184, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  M. Ura, M. Yamada, M. Endo, S. Miyazaki, T. Yasuda, and S. Yokoi, “A Carling strategies Analysis based on Game Tree,” IEICE Technical Report, IE2007-25, pp. 31–36, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  M. Ura, M. Endo, S. Miyazaki, and T. Yasuda, “Curling Game Simulation and strategies Evaluation,” Proceedings of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Annual Conference, Vol.13, 2B3-5, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  GravityCube Software: ICurlStats, Canada, 2010, http://www. gravitycube.com [accessed May 10, 2014]
-  A. Flemming, “CurlBook – Powerful Curling Coaching,” USA, 2012.
-  F. Masui, H. Ueno, H. Yanagi, and M. Ptaszynski, “Toward Curling Informatics Digital Scorebook Development and Game Information Analysis,” Proceedings of 2015 IEEE Conference on Computer Intelligence and Games, pp. 481–488, 2015.
-  H. Ueno, F. Masui, and H. Yanagi, “Development of A Portable Database System for Supporting Curling Tactics,” Proceedings of 25th National Conference of Japan Society of Training Science for Exercise and Sport, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  K. Reilly, “How Are We Doing Coach..?,” A Coaching Journal, Canadian Association of National Coaches, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.