Structure Analysis with 2D Quadrilateral Meshes Generated by a Label-Driven Subdivision
Bo Liu†, Kenjiro T. Miura, and Shin Usuki
3-5-1 Jouhoku, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 432-8561, Japan
For a structural analysis using the finite element method, a hexahedral element is preferable to a tetrahedral element from the viewpoint of accuracy. However, it is very difficult to subdivide a mesh consisting of hexahedral elements if the shape of the mesh is complicated. Hence, in this paper, as a preliminary research, we use a label-driven subdivision method for a two-dimensional mesh, and show that meshes subdivided nonuniformly can guarantee as much accuracy as meshes with uniform subdivision.
-  W. F. Gordon and C. A. Hall, “Construction of Curvilinear Coordinate Systems and Applications to Mesh Generation,” Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., Vol.7, p. 461, 1973.
-  R. H. Harber, M. S. Shephard, J. F. Abel, R. H. Gallagher, and D. P. Greenberg, “A General Two-dimensionalF inite Element Preprocessor Utilizing Discrete Transfinite Mappings,” Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., Vol.17, p. 1015, 1981.
-  S. Lai and F. Cheng, “Similarity based Interpolation using CatmullClark Subdivision Surfaces,” Vis Comput, Vol.22, No.9, p. 86573, 2006.
-  F. Cheng, F. Fan, S. Lai, C. Huang, J. Wang, and J. Yong, “Loop Subdivision Surface based Progressive Interpolation,” J. Comput. Sci. Tech., Vol.24, No.1, pp. 39-46, 2009.
-  Z. Chen, X. Luo, L. Tan, B. Ye, and J. Chen, “Progressive Interpolation based on CatmullClark Subdivision Surfaces,” Comput Graph Forum, Vol.27, No.7, pp. 18237, 2008.
-  T. Maekawa, Y. Matsumoto, and K. Namiki, “Interpolation by Geometric Algorithm,” Comput-Aided Des, Vol.39, pp. 313-23, 2007.
-  M.-C. Rivara, “A Grid Generator Based on 4-triangles Conforming Mesh-refinement Algorithms,” Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., Vol.24, p. 1343, 1987.
-  E. A. Sadek, “A Scheme for the Automatic Generation of Triangular Finite Elements,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol.15, pp. 1813, 1980.
-  B. Wu and S. Wang, “Automatic Triangulation over Three-dimensional Parametric Surfaces based on Advancing Front Method,” Vol.41, Issues 9-10, pp. 892-910, May 2005.
-  L. Sun, G.-T. Yeh, F.-P. Lin, and G. Zhao, “An Automatic Delaunay Triangular Mesh Generation Method based On Point Spacing,” International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT), Vol.3, Issue 3, p. 134, September 2013.
-  P. L. Baehmann, S. L. Wittchen, M. A. Shephard, K. R. Grice, and M. A. Yerry, “Robust, Geometrically based, Automatic Two-dimensional Mesh Generation,” Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., Vol.24, p. 1043, 1987.
-  J. Papac, A. Helgadottir, C. Ratsch, and F. Gibou, “A Level Set Approach for Diffusion and Stefan-type Problems with Robin Boundary Conditions on Quadtree/Octree Adaptive Cartesian Grids,” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol.233, No.15, pp. 241-261, January 2013.
-  Y. T. Lee, A. De Pennington, and N. K. Shaw, “Automatic Finite-element Mesh Meneration from Geometriuc Models – A Point Based Approach,” ACM Trans. Graphics, Vol.3, p. 287, 1984.
-  A. Pandey, R. Datta, and B. Bhattacharya, “Topology Optimization of Compliant Structures and Mechanisms using Constructive Solid Geometry for 2-d and 3-d Applications,” Methodologies and Application Soft Computing, First online: 04 September 2015.
-  J.-F. Remacle, C. Geuzaine, G. Compere, and E. Marchandise, “High Quality Surface Remeshing Using Harmonic Maps,” Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng, 00, pp. 1-6, 2009.
-  F. Cheng, J. W. Jaromczyk, J.-R. Lin, S.-S. Chang, and J.-Y. Lu, “A Parallel Mesh Generation Algorithm Based on the Vertex Label Assignment Scheme,” Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., Vol.28, p. 1429, 1989.
-  K. T. Miura and F. Cheng, “Mesh Generation Based on a New Label-driven Subdivision,” International Journal of The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.30, No.4, 1996.