Stem Cell-Based Self-Assembled Tissues Cultured on a Nano-Periodic-Structured Surface Patterned Using Femtosecond Laser Processing
Hiromichi Fujie*1,*2, Kei Oya*3, Yuki Tani*1, Kenji Suzuki*4, and Norimasa Nakamura*5
*1Graduate School of System Design, Tokyo Metropolitan University
6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
*2Research Institute for Science and Technology, Kogakuin University, Tokyo, Japan
*3Department of Materials and Life Science, Faculty of Science and Technology, Seikei University, Tokyo, Japan
*4Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Kogakuin University, Tokyo, Japan
*5Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
-  W. Ando, K. Tateishi, D. A. Hart, D. Katakai, Y. Tanaka, K. Nakata, J. Hashimoto, H. Fujie, K. Shino, H. Yoshikawa, and N. Nakamura, “Cartilage Repair Using an In Vitro Generated Scaffold-Free Tissue-Engineered Construct Derived from Porcine Synovial Mesenchymal Stem Cells,” Biomaterials, Vol.28, pp. 5462-5470, 2007.
-  A. I. Teixeira, G. A. Abrams, P. J. Bertices, C. J. Murphy, and P. F. Nealey, “Epithelial Contact Guidance on Well-Defined Micro- and Nanostructured Substrates,” Journal of Cell Science, Vol.116, pp. 1881-1192, 2003.
-  L. Zhang, V. M. Menendez-Flores, N. Murakami, and T. Ohno, “Improvement of Photocatalytic Activity of Brookite Titanium Dioxide Nanorods by Surface Modification Using Chemical Etching,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.258, pp. 5803-5809, 2012.
-  S. Ban, Y. Iwaya, H. Kono, and H. Sato, “Surface Modification of Titanium by Etching in Concentrated Sulfuric Acid,” Dental Materials, Vol.22, pp. 1115-1120, 2006.
-  H. Asoh, K. Uchibori, and S. Ono, “Anisotropic Chemical Etching of Silicon Through Anodic Oxide Films Formed on Silicon Coated with Microspheres,” Semiconductor Science Technology, Vol.26, 102001, 2011.
-  H. Asoh, F. Arai, and S. Ono, “Effect of Noble Metal Catalyst Species on Morphology of Macroporous Silicon Formed by Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching,” Electrochimica Acta, Vol.54, pp. 5142-5148, 2009.
-  D. Z. Xie, B. K. A. Ngoi, Y. Q. Fu, A. S. Ong, and B. H. Lim, “Etching Characteristics of Tini Thin Film by Focused Ion Beam,” Applied Serface Science, Vol.225, pp. 54-58, 2004.
-  S. Rennon, L. Bach, H. Köonig, J. P. Reithmaier, A. Forchel, J. L. Gentner, and L. Goldstein, “Nanoscale Patterning by Focused Ion Beam Enhanced Etching for Optoelectronic Device Fabrication,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.57-58, pp. 891-896, 2001.
-  Y. B. Xiao, E. H. Kim, S. M. Kong, J. H. Park, B. C. Min, and C. W. Chung, “Inductively Coupled Plasma Reactive Ion Etching of Titanium Thin Films Using A Cl2/Ar Gas,” Vacuum, Vol.85, pp. 434-438, 2010.
-  K-H. Leitz, B. Redlingshöofer, Y. Reg, A. Otto, and M. Schmidt, “Metal Ablation with Short and Ultrashort Laser Pulses,” Physical Procedia, Vol.12, pp. 230-238, 2011.
-  V. Oliveira, S. Ausset, and R. Vilar, “Surface Micro/Nanostructuring of Titanium under Stationary and Non-Stationary Femtosecond Laser Irradiation,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.255, pp. 7556-7560, 2009.
-  J. Reif, O. Varlamova, and F. Costache, “Femtosecond Laser Induced Nanostructure Formation: Self-Organization Control Parameters,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.92, pp. 1019-1024, 2008.
-  K. Oya, S. Aoki, K. Shimomura, N. Sugita, K. Suzuki, N. Nakamura, and H. Fujie, “Morphological Observations of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Adhesion to a Nano-Periodic Structured Titanium Surface Patterned Using Femtosecond Laser Processing,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.51, 125203, 2012.
-  W. Ando, K. Tateishi, D. Katakai, D. A. Hart, C. Higuchi, K. Nakata, J. Hashimoto, H. Fujie, K. Shino, H. Yoshikawa, and N. Nakamura, “In Vitro Generation of a Scaffold-Free Tissue-Engineered Construct (TEC) Derived from Human Synovial Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Biological and Mechanical Properties and Further Chondrogenic Potential,” Tissue Engineering Part A, Vol.14, pp. 2041-2049, 2008.
-  K. Shimomura, W. Ando, K. Tateishi, R. Nansai, H. Fujie, D. A. Hart, H. Kohda, K. Kita, T. Kanamoto, T. Mae, K. Nakata, K. Shino, H. Yoshikawa, and N. Nakamura, “The Influence of Skeletal Maturity on Allogenic Synovial Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Based Repair of Cartilage in a Large Animal Model,” Biomaterials, Vol.31, pp. 8004-8011, 2010.
-  M. J. Karnovsky, “A Formaldehyde-Glutaraldehyde Fixative of High Osmolality for Use in Electron Microscopy,” Journal of Cell Biology, Vol.27, pp. 137-138, 1965.
-  K. Saito, A. Ogawa, W. Ando, N. Nakamura, and H. Fujie, “Effects of Cyclic Tensioning Duration on the Mechanical Property of a Stem Cell-Based Self-Assembled Tissue (scSAT) Derived from Synovim,” Transactions of the Bioengineering Conference (ASME), 204339, 2009.
-  S. Sakabe, M. Hashida, S. Tokita, S. Namba, and K. Okamuro, “Mechanism for Self-Formation of Periodic Grating Structures on a Metal Surface by a Femtosecond Laser Pulse,” Physical Review B, Vol.79, 033409, 2009.
-  F. Costache, M. Henyk, and J. Reif, “Surface Patterning on Insulators upon Femtosecond Laser Ablation,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.208-209, pp. 486-491, 2003.
-  D. V. Tran, H. Y. Zheng, Y. C. Lam, V. M. Murukeshan, J. C. Chai, and D. E. Hardt, “Femtosecond Laser-Induced Damage Morphologies of Crystalline Silicon by Sub-Threshold Pulses,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.43, pp. 977-986, 2005.
-  B. Alberts, A. Johnson, J. Lewis, M. Raff, K. Roberts, and P. Walter, “Molecular Biology of the Cell 5th Edition,” Garland Science, Abingdon, UK, 2008.
-  S. Fujita, D. Ono, M. Ohshima, and H. Iwata, “Supercritical CO2-Assisted Embossing for Studying Cell Behaviour on Microtextured Surfaces,” Biomaterials, Vol.29, pp. 4494-4500, 2008.
-  J. H. Wang, F. Jia, T. W. Gilbert, and S. LY. Woo, “Cell Orientation Determines the Alignment of Cell-Produced Collagenous Matrix,” Journal of Biomechanics, Vol.36, pp. 97-102, 2003.
-  K. Shimomura, Y. Moriguchi, W. Ando, R. Nansai, H. Fujie, D. A. Hart, A. Gobbi, K. Kita, S. Horibe, K. Shino, H. Yoshikawa, and N. Nakamura, “Osteochondral Repair Using a Scaffold-Free Tissue-Engineered Construct Derived from Synovial Mesenchymal Stem Cells and a Hydroxyapatite-Based Artificial Bone,” Tissue Engineering Part A, Vol.20, pp. 2291-2304, 2014.
-  D. Katakai, M. Imura, W. Ando, K. Tateishi, H. Yoshikawa, N. Nakamura, and H. Fujie, “Compressive Properties of Cartilage-Like Tissues Repaired in Vivo With Scaffold-Free, Tissue Engineered Constructs,” Clinical Biomechanics, Vol.24, pp. 110-116, 2009.
-  R. Nansai, T. Suzuki, K. Shimomura, W. Ando, N. Nakamura, and H. Fujie, “Surface Morphology and Stiffness of Cartilage-Like Tissue Repaired with a Scaffold-Free Tissue Engineered Construct,” Journal of Biomechanical Science and Engineering, Vol.6, pp. 40-48, 2011.
-  W. Ando, H. Fujie, Y. Moriguch, R. Nansa, K. Shimomura, D. A. Hart, H. Yoshikawa, and N. Nakamur, “Detection of Abnormalities in The Superficial Zone of Cartilage Repaired Using a Tissue Engineered Construct Derived from Synovial Stem Cells,” European Cells and Materials Journal, Vol.24, pp. 292-307, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.