Development of Technology for Creating Composite Materials of Machine Tool
Nagaoka University of Technology
1603-1 Kamitomioka, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
A technology for creating new composite materials with hybrid properties desired by many designers was developed and evaluated. Young’s modulus, density, coefficient of linear expansion, specific heat and thermal conductivity were calculated through a newly developed software. This software has two functions which are (1) the selection of adequate materials and the calculation of their ratios to achieve specific desired properties in a new composite material (2) the calculation of resultant properties given that the component materials and their rations in a composite material are known. The new composite material for the tool post of a machine tool was manufactured and evaluated. It is concluded from the results that the technology was very effective and useful for development of a new composite material with several hybrid properties.
-  T. Moriwaki, E. Shamoto, and T. Tokunaga, “Thermal deformation of an ultra-precision machine tool due to environmental temperature change,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.63, No.615, pp. 4025-4030, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  H. Nakajima, “Lotus-type porous metals” Bulletin of The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, Vol.6, No.9, pp. 701-707, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kobayashi, T. Matsubayashi, and K. Shibata, “ On the improvement of the damping capacity of a steel structure by overlaying with fiber-reinforced plastics,” Transaction of JSME, Series C, Vol.58, No.554, pp. 3096-3101, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  M. Okada, A. Hosokawa, N. Asakawa, Y. Fujita, and T. Ueda, “Influence of Minimum Quantity Lubrication on Tool Temperature in End Milling of Difficult-to-Cut Materials Having Low Thermal Conductivity,” Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.78, No.792, pp. 3093-3103, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  H. W. Russell, “Principles of Heat Flow in Porous Insulators,” J. Am. Ceram. Society, Vol.18, pp. 1-5, 1956.
-  I. Tanabe, K. Takada, and A. Nakamura, “Thermal and Mechanical Characteristics of Epoxy Resin Concrete Used in Machine Tool Structures,” Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.56, No.525, pp. 1314-1321, 1990 (in Japanese).
-  I. Tanabe, J. Mizutani, and Y. Yamada, “Development of Ceramic Resin Concrete for Precision Machine Tool Structures (Development of Three-Dimensional and Functionally Gradient Material),” Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.62, No.596, pp. 1619-1625, 1996(in Japanese).
-  I. Tanabe, S. Takiguchi, and T. Iyama, “Development of Software for Creating New Materials with Hybrid Properties,” Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.78, No.786, pp 595-604, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  I. Tanabe, M. Nagano, A. Ohkubo, and K. Takada, “Thermal and mechanical properties of epoxy resin concrete for the structure of a machine tool,” Journal of the JSPE, Vol.52, No.4, pp. 735-738, 1986 (in Japanese).
-  I. Tanabe, R. Igarashi, and S. Takahashi, “Development of sintered alumina and magnesium composite with high static stiffness and high damping ratio,” Trans. of the JSME Vol.81, No.826, 2015 (in Japanese).