Development of New Spindle Cooling Technology That Concentrates Cooling Near Front Bearing
R&D Department, Okuma Corporation
5-25-1 Shimooguchi Oguchi-cho, Niwa-gun, Aichi 480-0193, Japan
A spindle cooling technology that directly cools the rotating spindle near the front bearing is effective in achieving a high-precision, high-rigidity spindle for a machining center. In conventional spindle cooling technologies, the entire spindle is cooled, which results in high cost and low efficiency. The writer developed a spindle cooling technology in which cooling is concentrated only in the necessary areas, and thus realized a low-cost, highly efficient method of cooling.
-  Y. Shoda and Y. Onose, “Development of Machine Tool Spindle by Means of Oil-Air Lubrication,” Journal of Japanese Society of Tribologists, Vol.32, No.3, pp.175-178.
-  S. Nakamura and Y. Kakino,“An Analysis on Preload Increment and Displacement of a Rotating High Speed Spindle,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.58, No.12, pp. 2019-2024, 1992.
-  S. Yagyu, S. Shimizu, and N. Imai, “Mechanism of Thermal Deviation Characteristic in Spindle System of Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 191-198, 2008.
-  C. Brecher and A. Wissmann, “Compensation of Thermo-Dependent Machine Tool Deformations Due to Spindle Load Based on Reduced Modeling Effort,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.5, pp. 679-687, 2011.
-  T. Moriwaki and E. Shamoto, “Analysis of Thermal Deformation of an Ultra Precision Air Spindle System,” CIRP Annals, Vol.47, pp. 315-319, 1998.
-  C. Brecher, P. Hirsch, and M. Weck, “Compensation of Thermoelastic Machine Tool Deformation Based on Control internal Data,” CIRP Annals, Vol.53, pp. 299-304, 2004.
-  T. Moriwaki, “Thermal Deformation and Its On-Line Compensation of Hydrostatically Supported Precision Spindle,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.37, pp. 393-396, 1988.
-  S. Nakamura, Y. Kakino, A. Muramatsu, and K. Urano, “An Analysis on Influence of Motor Heat Generation and Effect of Shaft-bore Cooling for Motor Integrated Spindle,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.60, No.7, pp. 979-983, 1994.
-  S. Morimura, R. Shimomura, H. Kato, and T. Yoshimura, “Development of a Low-cost Spindle Unit with a Highly Efficient Spindle Shaft Cooling System Ensuring High Accuracy and High Rigidity,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.79, No.2, pp. 124-127, 2013.