Investigation into Chemical Mechanical Polishing Mechanism of Hard-to-Process Materials Using a Commercially Available Single-Sided Polisher
Michio Uneda*, Keiichi Takano*, Koji Koyama**, Hideo Aida**, and Ken-ichi Ishikawa*
*Kanazawa Institute of Technology
7-1 Ohgigaoka, Nonoichi, Ishikawa 921-8501, Japan
**Namiki Precision Jewel Co., Ltd.
3-8-22 Shin-den, Adachi, Tokyo 123-8511, Japan
-  H. Aida, T. Doi, H. Takeda, H. Katakura, S.-W. Kim, K. Koyama, T. Yamazaki, and M. Uneda, “Ultraprecision CMP for sapphire, GaN and SiC for advanced optoelectronics materials,” Current Applied Physics, Vol.12, pp. 41-46, 2012.
-  I. P. Smirnova, L. K. Markov, D. A. Zakheim, E. M. Arakcheeva, and M. R. Rymalis, “Blue Flip-Chip AlGaInN LEDs with Removed Sapphire Substrate,” Semiconductors, Vol.40, No.11, pp. 1363-1367, 2006.
-  K. Qin, B. Moudgil, and C.-W. Park, “A chemical mechanical Polishing model incorporating both the chemical and mechanical effects,” ELSEVIER Thin Solid Films, Vol.446, pp. 227-286, 2004.
-  Y.-R. Jjeng, P.-Y. Huang, and W.-C. Pan, “Tribological Analysis of CMP with Partial Asperity Contact,” J. of The Electrochemical Society, Vol.150, No.10, pp. 630-637, 2003.
-  I.-H. Sung, H. J. Kim, and C. D. Yeo, “First observation on the feasibility of scratch formation by pad-particle mixture in CMP process,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.258, pp. 8298-8306, 2012.
-  E. J. Terrell and C. F. Higgs III, “Hydrodynamics of Slurry Flow in Chemical Mechanical Polishing,” J. of The Electrochemical Society, Vol.153, No.6, pp. K15-K22, 2006.
-  M. Uneda, Y. Fukuta, K. Yokogawa, K. Hotta, H. Sugiyama, K. Tamai, H. Morinaga, and K.-I. Ishikawa, “Effects of slurry flow sapphire-chemical mechanical polishing,” J. of the japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.58, No.9, pp. 583-588, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  M. Uneda, Y. Takahashi, K. Shibuya, Y. Nakamura, D. Ichikawa, and K.-I. Ishikawa, “Relationships Between Removal Rate, Pad Surface Asperity and Polishing Head Vibration in Si-CMP,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Planarization/CMP Technology 2013, P06, pp. 214-217, 2013.
-  Z.-C. Lin and W.-S. Huang, “A study of material removal amount of sapphire wafer in application of chemical mechanical polishing with different polishing pads,” J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol.26, No.8, pp. 2353-2364, 2012.
-  G. Keppel and S. Zedeck, “Data analysis for research designs,” W. H. Freeman and Company, pp. 126-127, 1989.
-  W. Xu, X. Lu, G. Pan, Y. Lei, and J. Luo, “Ultrasonic flexural vibration assisted chemical mechanical polishing for sapphire substrate,” ELSEVIER Applied Surface Science, Vol.256, pp. 3936-3940, 2010.
-  B. Park, S. Jeong, H. Lee, H. Kim, H. Jeong, and D. A. Dornfeld, “Experimental Investigation of Material Removal Characteristics in Silicon Chemical Mechanical Polishing,” Japanese J. of Applied Physics, Vol.48, No.116505, pp. 1-9, 2009.
-  X. Han, Y. Hu, and S. Yu, “Investigation of material removal mechanism of silicon wafer in the chemical mechanical polishing process using molecular dynamics simulation method,” Applied Physics, A, Vol.95, pp. 899-905, 2009.
-  Y. Moon, “Mechanical Aspects of the Material Removal Mechanism in Chemical Mechanical Polishing (CMP),” University of California, Berkeley, p. 69, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.