Effect of Surface Property on Transfer-Print of Au Thin-Film to Micro-Structured Substrate
Arata Kaneko, Hiromichi Murakami, and Takahiro Yamashita
Faculty of System Design, Tokyo Metropolitan University
6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
This present study describes a novel micro-fabrication technique using transfer-print of thin-film for micro-mechanical structure. Some thin-films of Au have been transferred from a stamp onto pre-structured micro-ridges of polymer substrate. These thin-films successfully form into an array of fixed micro-beams as a mechanical structure. The fabricated micro-beams typically have a thickness of less than 100 nm and a tens micro-meter long. This present paper also reports an investigation about effects of stamp surface properties. A modification of stamp surface wettability and roughness improves adhesive force (releasability) of thin-film to provide flat micro-beam without undesired deformations. Hydrophobic stamp with micro-roughness results in an increase of production yield of micro-beams to reach more than 90%. Simple mechanical test shows that the fabricated micro-beam is transversely tensioned by the supporting micro-ridges of substrate. It is clarified that the proposed process can be applied to fabricate micro/nano-mechanical elements.
-  T. Someya and T. Sekitani, “Printed skin-like large-area flexible sensors and actuators,” Procedia Chemistry, Vol.1, pp. 9-12, 2009.
-  D. Son et al., “Film-thickness considerations in microcantilever-beam test in measuring mechanical properties of metal thin film,” Thin Solid Films, Vol.437, pp. 182-187, 2003.
-  S. H. Hur et al., “Nanotransfer printing by use of noncovalent surface forces: Applications to thin-film transistors that use single-walled carbon nanotube networks and semiconducting polymers,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.85, No.23, pp. 5730-5732, 2004.
-  T. W. Lee et al., “Pattern-Transfer Fidelity in Soft Lithography: The Role of Pattern Density and Aspect Ratio,” Advanced Functional Materials, Vol.15, pp. 1683-1688, 2005.
-  D. T. Read, Y. W. Cheng, and R. Geiss, “Morphology, microstructure and mechanical properties of a copper electrodeposit,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.75, pp. 63-70, 2004.
-  J. Zaumseil, M. A. Meitl, J. W. P. Hsu, B. R. Acharya, K. W. Baldwin, Y. L. Loo, and J. A. Rogers, “Three-dimensional and multilayer nanostructures formed by nanotransfer printing,” Nano Letters, Vol.3, No.9, pp. 1223-1227, 2003.
-  N. Unno and J. Taniguchi, “Two-tone metal pattern transfer technique using a single mold surface,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.87, pp. 1019-1023, 2010.
-  J. H. Lee, S. Y. Tsai, W. J. Lee, M. H. Hon, and I. C. Leu, “Fabrication of three-dimensionally structured titanium oxide thin films by transfer printing,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol.95, No.1, pp. 165-169, 2012.
-  Y. Zhou, L. Hu, and G. Grner, “A method of printing carbon nanotube thin films,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.88, pp. 123109-1-3, 2006.
-  J. W. Kim, K. Y. Yang, S. H. Hong, and H. Lee, “Formation of Au nano-patterns on various substrates using simplified nano-transfer printing method,” Appl. Surf. Sci., Vol.254, pp. 5607-5611, 2008.
-  J. B. K. Law, R. T. T. Khoo, B. S. Tan, and H. Y. Low, “Selective gold nano-pattering on flexible polymer substrate via concurrent nanoimprinting and nanotransfer printing,” Appl. Surf. Sci., Vol.258, pp. 748-754, 2011.
-  M. G. Kang, H. J. Park, S. H. Ahn, and L. J. Guo, “Transparent Cu nanowire mesh electrode on flexible substrates fabricated by transfer printing and its application in organic solar cells,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar cells, Vol.94, pp. 1179-1184, 2010.
-  L. Ge, L. J. Guo, X. Wang, and S. Fu, “Silver lines electrode patterned by transfer printing,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.97, pp. 289-293, 2012.
-  Y. H. Huang, J. T. Wu, and S. Y. Yang, “Direct fabricating patterns using stamping transfer process with PDMS mold of hydrophobic nanostructures on surface of micro-cavity,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.88, pp. 849-854, 2011.
-  T. Yamashita, K. Yoshino, and A. Kaneko, “Micro/nano-mechanical structure fabricated by transfer printing,” Int. Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.15, No.12, pp. 2582-2587, 2014.
-  S. Kim, A. Carlson, H. Cheng, S. Lee, J. K. Park, Y. Huang, and J. Rogers, “Enhanced adhesion with pedestal-shaped elastomeric stamp for transfer printing,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.100, pp. 171909-1-4, 2012.
-  H. Keum, M. Seong, S. Sinha, and S. Kim, “Electrostatically driven collapsible Au thin-films assmbled using transfer printing,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.100, pp. 211904-1-4, 2012.
-  D. W. Oh, S. Kim, J. A. Rogers, D. G. Cahill, and S. Sinha, “Interfacial Thermal Conductance of Transfer-Printed Metal Films,” Adv. Mater., Vol.23, pp. 5028-5033, 2011.
-  S. Kim et al., “Microstructured elastomeric surfaces with reversible adhesion and examples of their use in deterministic assembly by transfer printing,” PNAS, Vol.107, No.40, pp. 17095-17100, 2010.
-  D. Y. Yang, T. W. Lim, Y. Son, F. Barlat, and J. W. Yoon, “Gripless nanotension test for determination of nanoscale properties,” Int. J. Pasticity, Vol.27, pp. 1527-1536, 2011.
-  J. Metoki and F. Iwata, “Nanoparticle deposition using a nanopipette for micro fabrication of 3 D structure,” 5th Int. Conf. of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, 2013.
-  T. Takai, G. Toyoda, and F. Iwata, “Evaluation of mechanical properties of micro three-dimensional structures fabricated using a laser trap technique,” 5th Int. Conf. of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.