Wear Behavior of Grain Cutting Edge in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding Using Mini-Size Wheel
Masakazu Fujimoto*, Yongbo Wu*, Mitsuyoshi Nomura*, Hidenari Kanai**, and Masahiko Jin***
*Department of Machine Intelligence and Systems Engineering, Akita Prefectural University
84-4 Tsuchiya-Ebinokuchi, Yurihonjo, Akita 015-0055, Japan
**industria Co., Ltd., Saitama, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Nippon Institute of Technology, Saitama, Japan
This paper deals with the wear behavior of the mini-size diamond wheel used in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG). The aim is to understand the wheel wear behavior. Sequential changes of the surface topography of the mini-size wheel, such as the number and shape of grains of the cutting edge, during the on-surface UAG process were observed and evaluated quantitatively using a Scanning Electron Microscope with four electron probes (3D-SEM). The obtained results show that a good wheel surface is maintained during the UAG process compared with the Conventional Grinding (CG) process. In particular, a number of sharp grain cutting edges are larger in the UAG process than those of the CG process. Additionally, these results are closely related to the stability of grinding forces and the reduction of the finished workpiece surface.
-  N. Suzuki, M. Haritani, J. Yang, R. Hino, and E. Shamoto, “Elliptical Vibration Cutting of Tungsten Alloy Molds for Optical Glass Parts,” Ann. CIRP, Vol.56, No.1, pp. 127-130, 2007.
-  H. Kotera, “Surface and its Treatment of MEMS and µ-TAS,” J. Surf. Finish. Soc. Jpn., Vol.56, No.10, pp. 572-579, 2005.
-  N. Sornsuwit, Y. Takeuchi, K. Sawada, and T. Sata, “Metal Mold Manufacturing of Fresnel Lens by Use of Micro Grooving Technology,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.64, No.628, pp. 4887-4892, 1998.
-  Y. Yamamoto, H. Suzuki, T. Moriwaki, T. Okino, and T. Higuchi, “Precision Grinding of Micro Fresnel Lens Molding Die (2nd report): Precision Truing of Micro Grinding Wheel with Sharp Edge by Molybdenum Truer and Accuracy Improvement in Fresnel Surface Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.73, No.6, pp. 688-693, 2007.
-  J. Qiu, G. Zhang, M. Asao, M. Zhang, H. Feng, and Y. Wu, “Study on the Novel Ultrasonic Weld Properties of Heterogeneous Polymers between PC and PMMA,” Int. J. Adhes. Adhes., Vol.30, No.8, pp. 729-734, 2010.
-  F. J. Shiou and C. H. Cheng, “Ultra-precision Surface Finish of NAK80 Mould Steel using Sequential Ball Burnishing and Ball Polishing Process,” J. Mat. Process. Technol. Vol.201, pp. 554-559, 2008.
-  H. Hoseiny, U. Klement, P. Sotskovski, and J. Andersson, “Comparison of the Microstructures in Continuous-cooled and Quench-tempered Pre-hardened Mould Steels,” Mat. Des., Vol.32, pp. 21-28, 2011.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Grinding Characteristics of Mould Steel with Micro 3D Structure in Ultrasonically Assisted Precision Grinding,” Int. J. Nanomanuf., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 201-210, 2013.
-  K. Shimada, T. Zhou, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Statistical Approach for Calculating Ground Surface Roughness of Ultrasonicassisted Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.56, No.11, pp. 752-757, 2012.
-  Y. Wu, X. Wang, T. Tachibana, and M. Kato, “Laser Truing and Dressing of Small Vitrified CBN Wheel,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.51, No.9, pp. 518-521, 2007.
-  K. Syoji, J. Taguchi, T. Kuriyagawa, and M. Mizuno, “Contour Grinding of Ceramics with Diamond Microquill,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.59, No.565, pp. 2835-2840, 1993.
-  Y. Satoh, T. Matsubara, and T. Nakamura, “Ultra-precision Grinding with Fine Grit CBN Wheel of Mini-size (1st report): Conventional Mechanical Truing and Finished Surface Roughness,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.41, No.10, pp. 382-387, 1997.
-  H. Isobe, K. Hara, and Y. Take, “Development of the Die Mirror Finish Technique by Ultrasonically Assisted Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.54, No.5, pp. 288-292, 2008.
-  D. E. Brehl and T. A. Dow, “Review of Vibration-assisted Machining,” Prec. Eng., Vol.32, pp. 153-172, 2008.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, M. Nomura, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Surface Topography of Mini-Size Diamond Wheel in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG),” Int. J. Autom. Technol., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 569-575, 2014.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, and R. Sato, “Wear Characteristics of Vitrified cBN Grinding Wheels,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Manuf., Vol.2, No.4, pp. 570-578, 2008.
-  H. Sakamoto and S. Shimizu, “Evaluation Method of Condition Change on Working Surface with Grinding –Evaluation Method for Combined Generation of Condition Changes on Wheel Working Surface –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.71, No.1, pp. 120-125, 2005.
-  R. Cai and W. Rowe, “Assessment of Vitrified CBN Wheels for Precision Grinding,” Int. J. Mach. Tools and Manuf., Vol.44, Issue 12-13, pp. 1391-1402, 2004.
-  M. Fujimoto and Y. Ichida, “Micro Fracture Behavior of Cutting Edges in Grinding using Single Crystal cBN Grains,” Dia. Relat. Mat., Vol.17, No.7-10, pp. 1759-1763, 2008.
-  Y. Taguchi and Y. Omata, “Measurement of Surface Topography Using SEM with Four Secondary Electoron Detectors,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.75, No.3, pp. 363-366, 2009.
-  Z. Liang, X. Wang, Y. Wu, L. Xie, Z. Liu, and W. Zhao, “An Investigation on Wear Mechanism of Resin-bonded Diamond Wheel in Elliptical Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (EUAG) of Mnocrystal Sapphire,” J. Mat. Process. Technol. Vol.212, Issue 4, pp. 868-876, 2012.
-  S. Matsui and K. Shoji, “A Study on Effective Cutting Edges in Grinding Wheel,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.34, No.11, pp. 743-748, 1968.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, and R. Sato, “Fractal Analysis of Wear Behavior of Grain Cutting Edge in cBN Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.74, No.5, pp. 468-473, 2008.
-  J. Takagi and K. Namiki, “Influence of Grinding Parameters on Wear and Fracture Characteristics of CBN Grains,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.38, No.3, pp. 153-158, 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.