Effects of Fiber Orientation Direction on Tool-Wear Processes in Down-Milling of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Laminates
Satoru Maegawa†, Yuta Morikawa, Shinya Hayakawa, Fumihiro Itoigawa, and Takashi Nakamura
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology
Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
This paper discusses tool-wear processes in the milling of carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) laminates. Plane down-milling tests with unidirectional and cross-directional CFRP laminates were performed using two types of cutting tools made of tungsten carbide and polycrystalline diamond. Measurements of the changes in the cutting forces and tool-wear widths over the cutting distance revealed that the fiber orientation direction in the CFRP laminates relative to the tool-traveling direction is an important parameter to determine the tool-wear processes. Additionally, based on obtained experimental results, a wear parameter to characterize cutting tool wear is introduced. This parameter can accurately explain the relationship between the worn tool-edge profiles and the processed-surface quality.
-  J. Y. Sheikh-Ahmad, “Machining of polymer composites,” Springer, 2009.
-  C. R. Dandekar and Y. C. Shin, “Modeling of machining of Composite materials: a review,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.43, pp. 1015-1022, 2012.
-  D. Che, I. Saxena, P. Han, P. Guo, and K. F. Ehmann, “Machining of carbon fiber reinforced plastics/polymers: a literature review,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.136, 034001, 2014.
-  J. P. Davim and P. Reis, “Damage and dimensional precision on milling carbon fiber-reinforced plastics using design experiments,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.160, No.2, pp. 160-167, 2005.
-  A. Koplev, A. Lystrup, and T. Vorm, “The cutting process, chips, and cutting forces in machining CFRP,” Composites, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 371-376, 1983.
-  K. Sakuma and M. Seto, “Tool wear in cutting glass-fiber-reinforced plastics,” Bull. JSME, Vol.26, pp. 1420-1427, 1983.
-  T. Kaneeda, “CFRP cutting mechanism,” Trans. N. Am. Manuf. Res. Inst. SME, Vol.19, pp. 216-221, 1991.
-  D. H. Wang, M. Ramulu, and D. Arola, “Orthogonal cutting mechanisms of graphite/epoxy composite. Part I: unidirectional laminate,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.35, No.12, pp. 1623-1638, 1995.
-  P. S. Sreejith, R. Krishnamurthy, S. K. Malhotra, and K. Narayanasamy, “Evaluation of PCD tool performance during machining of carbon/phenolic ablative composites,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.104, pp. 53-58, 2000.
-  M. C. Shaw, “Metal Cutting Principles,” Oxford University Press, New York, 1984.
-  K. Sakuma, M. Seto, M. Taniguchi, and Y. Yokoo, “Tool wear in cutting carbon-fiber-reinforced plastics: the effect of physical properties of tool materials,” Bull. JSME, Vol.28, pp. 2781-2788, 1985.
-  J. R. Ferreira, N. L. Coppini, and F. Levy, “Characteristics of carbon-carbon composites turning,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.109, pp. 65-71, 2001.
-  J. Lantrip, “New tools needed,” Cut. Tool Eng., Vol.60, pp. 72-84, 2008.
-  J. Chatelain and I. Zaghbani, “A comparison of special helical cutter geometries based on cutting forces for the trimming of CFRP laminates,” Int. J. Mech., Vol.6, pp. 52-59, 2012.
-  J. R. Ferreira, N. L. Coppini, and G. W. Miranda, “Machining optimization in carbon fibre reinforced composite materials,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.92-93, pp. 135-140, 1999.
-  Y. Karpat, O. Bathtiyar, and B. Deger, “Milling force modeling of multidirectional carbon fiber reinforced polymer laminates,” Proceedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 460-465, 2012.
-  L. C. Zhang, H. J. Zhang, and X. M. Wang, “A force prediction model for cutting unidirectional fibre-reinforced plastics,” Mach. Sci. Technol., Vol.5, pp. 293-305, 2001.
-  H. Hocheng, H. Y. Puw, and Y. Huang, “Preliminary study on milling of unidirectional carbon fibre-reinforced plastics,” Compos. Manuf., Vol.4, pp. 103-108, 1993.
-  G. Byrne, D. Dornfeld, and B. Denkena, “Advancing cutting technology,” CIRP Ann. Manuf. Technol, Vol.52, pp. 483-507, 2003.