An Innovative Machining Strategy for Efficient Peripheral Finishing of Hard Materials with Highly-Varied-Helix End Mill
Atsushi Ito* and Eiji Shamoto**
*Brother Industries, Ltd.
3-8 Momozono-cho, Mizuho-ku, Nagoya 467-0855, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya University
Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
-  M. Sato, “An Approach for Dream Machine Tools,” J. of Japan Society for precision Engineering, Vol.76, No.1, pp. 16-19, 2010.
-  K-D. Bouzakis, et al, “Cutting with Coated Tools: Coating Technologies, Characterization Methods and Performance Optimization,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, pp. 703-723, 2012.
-  H. Iwabe and K. Enta, “Tool Life of Small Diameter Ball End Mill for High Speed Milling of Hardened Steel – Effects of the Machining Method and the Tool Materials,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 425-430, 2008.
-  Y. S. Liao and H. M. Lin, “Mechanism of Minimum Quantity Lubrication in High-Speed Milling of Hardened Steel,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1660-1666, 2007.
-  T. Obikawa, M. Anzai, T. Egawa, N. Narutaki, K. Shintani, and E. Takeoka, “High Speed Machining, a Review from a Viewpoint of Chip Formation,” Advanced Materials Research, 188, pp. 578-583, 2011.
-  C. K. Toh, “Vibration Analysis in High Speed Rough and Finish Milling Hardened Steel,” J. of Sound and Vibration, Vol.278, pp. 101-115, 2004.
-  N. D. Sims, B. Mann, and S. Huyanan, “Analytical Prediction of Chatter Stability for Variable Pitch and Variable Helix Milling Tools,” J. of Sound and Vibration, Vol.317, Issues 3-5, pp. 664-686, 2008.
-  S. Turnera, D. Merdolb, Y. Altintas, and K. Ridgwaya, “Modelling of the Stability of Variable Helix End Mills,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, No.7, Issue 9, pp. 1410-1416, 2007.
-  A. R. Yusoff and N. D. Sims, “Optimisation of Variable Helix End Millings Tools by Minimising Self Excited Vibration,” J. of Physics, 7th Int. Conf. on Modern Practice in Stress and Vibration Analysis, 181, 012026, 2009.
-  A. R. Yusoff, N. D. Sims, and S. Turner, “Experimental Validation of Chatter Stability for Variable Helix Milling Tools,” Materials Science and Engineering, Vol.26, 012010, 2011
-  Y. Takagi, “Cutting Performance of Variable Helix End Mill on Machining of Difficult- to-Cut Material,” Conf. Papers of the 7th Production Machining and Machine Meeting, JSME, No.08-19, pp. 215-216, 2008.
-  S. Turner, D. Merdol, Y. Altintas, and K. Ridgway, “Modelling of the Stability of Variable helix end mills,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1410-1416, 2007.
-  N. Suzuki, “Chatter Vibration in Cutting, Part 1,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.76, No.3, pp. 280-284, 2010.
-  E. Shamoto, “Mechanism and Suppression of Chatter Vibrations in Cutting,” Denki-Seiko [Electric Furnace Steel], Vol.82, No.2, pp. 143-155, 2011.
-  L. Lu, M. Sato, H. Tanaka, “Experimental Verification of Chatter-Free Ball End Milling Strategy,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 45-51, 2013.
-  E. Budak, “An Analytical Design Method for Milling Cutters with Nonconstant Pitch to Increase Stability, Part 1: Theory,” ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.125, No.2, pp. 29-34, 2003.
-  E. Budak, “An Analytical Design Method for Milling Cutters with Nonconstant Pitch to Increase Stability, Part 2: Application,” ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.125, No.2, pp. 35-38, 2003.
-  E. Shamoto, K. Kageyama, and T. Moriwaki, “Suppression of Regenerative Chatter Vibration with Irregular Pitch End Mill,” Proc. of JSME Kansai Branch Annual Meeting, No.024-1, pp. (3-5)-(3-6), 2001.
-  N. Suzuki, T. Kojima, R. Hino, and E. Shamoto, “A Novel Design Method of Irregular Pitch Cutters to Attain Simultaneous Suppression of Multi-Mode Regenerations,” Proc. of 3rd CIRP Conf. on Process Machine Interactions, pp. 98-102, 2012.
-  Q. Song, X. Ai, and J. Zhao, “Design for Variable Pitch End Mills with High Milling Stability,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.55, Issue 9-12, pp. 891-903, 2011.
-  P. Huang, J. Li, J. Sun, and J. Zhou, “Study on Vibration Reduction Mechanism of Variable Pitch End Mill and Cutting Performance in Milling Titanium Alloy,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.67, Issue 5-8, pp. 1385-1391, 2013.
-  Y. Altintas, E. Shamoto, P. Lee, and E. Budak, “Analytical Prediction of Stability Lobes in Ball End Milling,” Trans. of ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.121, pp. 586-592, 1999.
-  Y. Altintas and E. Budak, “Analytical Prediction of Stability Lobes in Milling,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.44, No.1, pp. 357-362, 1995.
-  S. Alan, E. Budak, and H. N. "Özgüven, “Analytical Prediction of Part Dynamics for Machining Stability Analysis,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 259-267, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.