FEM-Based Simulation for Workpiece Deformation in Thin-Wall Milling
Jun Wang, Soichi Ibaraki, Atsushi Matsubara, Kosuke Shida, and Takayuki Yamada
Department of Microengineering, Kyoto University
C1N06, Bld. C3, Katsura Campus, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8540, Japan
This paper focuses on the deformation of a thin wall during the milling process. Cutting experiments were performed to investigate the influence of the workpiece thickness on its deformation and the cutting force. An FEM-based model was developed to simulate the deformation of a thin-wall workpiece during the milling process. With a tool’s rotation, the cutting force is distributed along the helical cutting edge, and the workpiece deformation can be calculated for a given time interval. The simulated results were compared with those of a simpler model where a constant cutting force is uniformly distributed along an oblique line representing the material removal by a cylindrical tool. Finally, the application of these results to the design of ribs for thin-wall parts during machining was considered.
-  E. Budak and Y. Altintas, “Modeling and avoidance of static form errors in peripheral milling of plates,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.35, Issue 3, pp. 459-476, 1995.
-  A. Matsubara and S. Ibaraki, “Monitoring and control of cutting forces in machining processes: a review,” Int. J. of Automation Technology (IJAT), Vol.3, No.4, pp. 445-456, 2009.
-  T. Matsumura, T. Shirakashi, and E. Usui, “Adaptive Cutting Force Prediction in Milling Processes,” Int. J. of Automation Technology (IJAT), Vol.4, No.3, pp. 221-228, 2010.
-  T. Matsumura, et al., “Predictive Cutting Force Model and Cutting Force Chart for Milling with Cutter Axis Inclination,” Int. J. of Automation Technology (IJAT), Vol.7, No.1, pp. 30-38, 2013.
-  J. Kaneko and K. Horio, “Fast Cutter Workpiece Engagement Estimation Method for Prediction Of Instantaneous Cutting Force in Continuous Multi-Axis Controlled Machining,” Procedia CIRP 4, 151-156, 2012.
-  H. Ning, W. Zhigang, and J. Chengyu, et al., “Finite element method analysis and control stratagem for machining deformation of thin-walled components,” J. of materials processing technology, Vol.139, Issue 1, pp. 332-336, 2003.
-  J.-S. Tsai and C.-L. Liao, “Finite-element modeling of static surface errors in the peripheral milling of thin-walled workpieces,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.94, Issue 2, pp. 235-246, 1999.
-  M. Wan, et al., “Strategies for error prediction and error control in peripheral milling of thin-walled workpiece,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.48, Issue 12, pp. 1366-1374, 2008.
-  Y. Huang and J. H. Oliver, “Integrated simulation, error assessment, and tool path correction for five-axis NC milling,” J. of Manufacturing Systems, Vol.14, Issue 5, pp. 331-344, 1995.
-  S. Ratchev, et al., “An advanced FEA based force induced error compensation strategy in milling,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, Issue 5, pp. 542-551, 2006.
-  S. Smith and D. Dvorak, “Tool path strategies for high speed milling aluminum workpieces with thin webs,” Mechatronics, Vol.8, Issue 4, pp. 291-300, 1998.
-  Y. Koike, et al., “Cutting path design to minimize workpiece displacement at cutting point: Milling of thin-walled parts,” Int. J. of Automation Technology (IJAT), Vol.6, No.5 pp. 638-647, 2012.
-  K. Iwabe, H. Matsuhashi, and H. Akutsu, et al., “High-Accuracy Machining of Thin-Walled Workpiece by Non-rotational Tool-Analysis of Machining Accuracy Based on Deflection of Tool and Workpiece Using FEM,” Int. J. of Automation Technology (IJAT), Vol.4, No.3, 2010.
-  Y. Altintas, A. Spence, and J. Tlusty, “End milling force algorithms for CAD systems,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.40, Issue 1, pp. 31-34, 1991.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.