Development of a Non-RigidMicro-Scale Cutting Mechanism Measuring the Cutting Force Using an Optical Lever
German Herrera-Granados*, Kiwamu Ashida**, Ichiro Ogura**,
Yuichi Okazaki**, Noboru Morita*, Hirofumi Hidai*,
Souta Matsusaka*, and Akira Chiba*
*Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
**AMRI, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), 1-2-1 Namiki, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-8564, Japan
A new cutting mechanism for the fabrication of microscale grooves is presented in this study. Based on the control principle of the nano-cutting mechanism using an Atomic Force Microscope (AFM), in the newly developed system, a single crystal diamond tool is mounted at the free edge of a cantilever beam and is used for the removal of material. During the cutting process, the cantilever undergoes a deformation that is required for the implementation of a machining force feedback control. It was experimentally observed that the use of this mechanism enables to maintain the cutting depth of the micro-grooves constant even if they are fabricated on inclined surfaces; this is achieved by maintaining the normal cutting force constant using a feedback controller. For this experimental system, an optical lever is used to measure the angular deformation at the tip of the cantilever, thus providing a better understanding of total cutting force involved in the machining process.
Yuichi Okazaki, Noboru Morita, Hirofumi Hidai,
Souta Matsusaka, and Akira Chiba, “Development of a Non-RigidMicro-Scale Cutting Mechanism Measuring the Cutting Force Using an Optical Lever,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.6, pp. 903-911, 2014.
-  F. Z. Fang, et al., “Fabrication of Micro Grooves,” ASPE, 18th annual meeting, 2003, Portland, USA.
-  G. D. Kim, et al., “Characteristics of chip formation in micro Vgrooving using elliptical vibration cutting,” J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol.17, pp. 1458-1466, 2007.
-  A. Q. Biddut, et al., “Performance of single crystal diamond tools with different rakes angles during micro-grooving on electroless nickel plated die materials,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Tech., Vol.33, Issues 9-10, pp. 891-899, 2007.
-  D. Dornfeld, et al., “Recent Advances in Mechanical Micromachining,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, pp. 745-768, 2006.
-  X. Ding, et al., “Ultra-precision cutting of micro-channels on Nicopper: Effects on diamond cutter wear and workpiece surface finish,” SIMTech technical report, Vol.10, pp. 209-215, 2009.
-  T. Moriya, et al., “Creation of V-shaped microgrooves with flat-ends by 6-axis control ultraprecision machining,” CIRP – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, pp. 61-66, 2010.
-  G. D. Kim., et al., “Machining of micro-channels and pyramid patterns using elliptical vibration cutting,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technology, Vol.49, pp. 961-968, 2010.
-  J. M. Lee, et al., “Micro grooving simulation and optimization in the roughing stage,” Int. J. of Precision Eng. and Manuf., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 361-368, 2010.
-  K. Ashida, et al., “Study on Nano-Machining Process Using Mechanism of a Friction Force Microscope,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.44, No.1, pp. 244-253, 2001.
-  N. Kawasegi, et al., “Nanomachining of Silicon Surface Using Atomic Force Microscope With Diamond Tip,” J.Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.128, Issue 3, pp. 723-729, 2006.
-  Y. D. Yan, et al., “Investigation on AFM-based micro/ nano-CNC machining system,” Int. J. of Machine tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1651-1659, 2007.
-  J. Shimuzu, et al., “Mold Pattern Fabrication by Nanoscratching,” Int. J. Automation Tech., Vol.7, No.6, pp. 686-693, 2013.
-  Y. D. Yan, et al., “3D force components measurement in AFM scratching tests,” J. Ultramicroscopy, Vol.105, pp. 62-71, 2005.
-  W. Gao, et al., “Experiments using a Nano-machining Instrument for Nano-Cutting Brittle Materials,” CIRP, Vol.49, Issue 1, pp. 439-442, 2000.
-  J. C. Huang, et al., “A study of nanomachining and nanopatterning on different materials using atomic force microscopy,” Int. J. of Materials and Product Technology, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 57-71, 2014.
-  Y. Geng, “Fabrication of millimeter scale nanochannels using the AFM tip-based nanomachining method,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.266, pp. 386-394, 2013.
-  J. C. Huang, et al., “The study of nanoscratch and nanomachining on hard multilayer thin films using atomic force microscope,” Scanning, Vol.34, Issue 1, pp. 51-59, 2012.
-  Y. Yan, et al., “Top-Down Nanomechanical Machining of Three-Dimensional Nanostructures by Atomic Force Microscopy,” Small, Vol.6, Issue 6, pp. 724-728, 2010.
-  K. Ashida, et al., “Basic study of micro-groove cutting using a elastic leaf spring type tool holder,” Int. Conf. on MicroManufacturing, 2011, Tokyo, Japan.
-  G. Herrera-Granados, et al., “Micro-groove cutting for different materials using an elastic leaf spring type tool holder,” Key Engineering Materials, Vols.523-524, pp. 93-98, 2012.
-  G. Herrera-Granados, et al., “Basic study on micro/nano scale cutting applying machining force control system,” JSPE, Spring meeting, 2013, Tokyo, Japan.
-  G. Herrera-Granados, et al., “Development of a micro/nano-scale constant load cutting mechanism measuring the cutting force by an optical lever,” Int. Conf. on LEM21, 2013, Miyagi, Japan.
-  Technical notes,
www.ntmdt.jp/data/media/files/spm_basics/cantilever.pdf [accessed on October 15, 2014]
-  L. Kumanchik, et al., “Simultaneous normal and torsional force measurement by cantilever surface contour analysis,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.22, No.5, 055103, 2011.