Deformation Analysis of Silicone Rubber Sheet Subjected to Keen WC Blade Indentation
Pusit Mitsomwang*, Shigeru Nagasawa*, Hiroki Kuroiwa**,
and Yoshio Fukushima**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, 1603-1 Kamitomioka, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
**Gunma Industrial Technology Center, 884 Kamesato-machi, Maebashi, Gunma 379-2147, Japan
This paper aims to reveal the deformation/cutting characteristics of a stacked silicone rubber worksheet subjected to a keen tungsten carbide blade (WC) indentation. Cutting parameters such as blade geometry, feed velocity and hardness of underlay sheet were varied and investigated. It was revealed that: (i) the use of the high feed velocity caused the increase of the 1st inflection, the peak and the breaking points of cutting line force. Also, the positions of these points were postponed when increasing the velocity. (ii) Under the high velocity condition (V = 0.416 mm•s-1), the geometry of the blade such as tip radius and primary height affected the cutting line force and the bending deformation of the worksheet. (iii) The application of soft silicone underlay resulted in the postponement of the crack initiation and the breaking positions of the worksheet. However, the final cut edge of the worksheet was invariant with the underlay hardness. In addition, an finite elementmethod analysis of the process was carried out using a non-linear elastic Mooney-Rivlin material model. The cutting resistance and deformation of the worksheet was numerically simulated up to the peak cutting line force point using an FEM model, before the occurrence of large cracking.
and Yoshio Fukushima, “Deformation Analysis of Silicone Rubber Sheet Subjected to Keen WC Blade Indentation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 761-772, 2014.
-  L. Meunier, G. Chagnon, D. Favier, L. Orgeas, and P. Vacher, “Mechanical experimental characterization and numerical modelling of an unfilled silicone rubber,” Polymer Testing, Vol.27, pp. 765-777, Sep. 2008.
-  www.siliconerubber.com/shyuseit.asp [accessed on Feb. 12, 2014].
-  P. Liu, Q. Chen, B. Yuan, M. Chen, S. Wu, S. Lin, and J. Shen, “Facile surface modification of silicone rubber with zwitterionic polymers for improving blood compatibility,” Materials Science and Engineering C, Vol.33, pp. 3865-3874, May 2013.
-  S. Nagasawa, Y. Masaki, M. Fujikura, N. Lukkanasirikul, and Y. Fukuzawa, “Analysis of cutting characterisitc of polycarbonate sheet subjected to wedge indentation by knife edge and grooved plate,” Machining Science and Technology, Vol.15, pp. 110-133, Mar. 2011.
-  S. Chaijit, S. Nagasawa, Y. Fukuzawa, M. Murayama, and A. Hine, “Effect of underlay rigidity on cutting characteristic of aluminum foil during wedge shearing process,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 800-811, Apr. 2008.
-  S. Nagasawa, T. Takahashi, and M. Fujikura, “Contact stability on cutting characteristics of polycarbonate sheets subjected to two-line wedge indentation,” J. of Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 578-589, 2010.
-  C. T. McCarthy, M. Hussey, and M. D. Gilchrist, “On the sharpness of straingth edge blades in cutting soft solids: Part I – Indentation experiments,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol.74, pp. 2205-224, Dec. 2006.
-  P. H. Tsai, Y. Z. Lin, J. B. Li, S. R. Jian, J. S. C. Jang, C. Li, J. P. Chu, and J. C. Huang, “Sharpness improvement of surgical blade by means of ZrCuAlAgSi mitallic glass and metallic glass thin film coating,” Intermetallics, Vol.31, pp. 127-131, Jul. 2012.
-  www.mscsoftware.com/Submitted-Content/Resources/WP_Non linear_FEA-Elastomers.pdf [accessed on April 7, 2014].
-  P. Mitsomwang, S. Nagasawa, S. Chaijit, M. Fujikura, and Y. Mutoh, “Effect of underlay stiffness on cutting profile of polycarbonate sheet during wedge indentation process,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.6, No.7, pp. 1168-1179, May 2012.
-  http://albright1.com/types-and-properties/ [accessed on April 12, 2014].
-  MSC Software Corporation, Volume B: Element library, pp. 13-15, 2010.
-  MSC, Software, User’s guide, pp. 1124-1131, 2010.
-  Y. Tawan, C. Raksiri, and C. Aramphongphun, “A study of the dimensional effect on dynamic mechanical behavior of engine mounts,” Kasetsart engineering j., Vol.14, pp. 61-74, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.