Fabrication and Composition Control of Three-Dimensional Dielectric Metal Microstructure Using Photocatalyst Nanoparticles
Hisamichi Yoshigoe, Shotaro Kadoya, Satoru Takahashi,
and Kiyoshi Takamasu
Department of Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
Recently, three-dimensional microstructures have been attracting much attention because of their potential application to electromagnetic devices operating with specific frequencies such as THz wave. For suitability in such applications, the structures often need to have complex three-dimensional shapes, be smaller than or at least as small as the applied wavelengths, consist of metals or dielectric materials, and have certain electromagnetic characteristics such as high permittivity. Although there are several methods for fabricating micro-structures, few of them satisfy all of these conditions. We propose a new fabrication method for dielectric-metal three-dimensional structures with sizes of a few tens of micrometers. The main feature of our method is the extraction of metal using photocatalyst nanoparticles. Silver ions in solution are reduced to neutral silver by electrons from the photocatalyst nanoparticles. Experimental results show that our system can be used to fabricate threedimensional structures, and we propose a new method for controlling the composition of the structures.
and Kiyoshi Takamasu, “Fabrication and Composition Control of Three-Dimensional Dielectric Metal Microstructure Using Photocatalyst Nanoparticles,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 523-529, 2014.
-  A.Menikh, et al., “Terahertz Biosensing Technology: Frontiers and Progress,” ChemPhysChem, Vol.3, Issue 8, pp. 655-658, 2002.
-  S. P. Mickan, et al., “Label-free Bioaffnity Detection Using Terahertz Technology,” Physics inMedicine and Biology, Vol.47, No.21, pp. 3789-3795, 2002.
-  B. Ferguson, et al., “Materials for Therahertz Science and Technology,” Nature Materials, Vol.1, pp. 26-33, 2002.
-  T. Nagatsuma, et al., “Photocnic Generation of Millimeter and Terahertz Waves and Its Applications,” Automatica, Vol.49, pp. 51-59, 2008.
-  M. Paquay, et al., “Thin AMC Structure for Radar Cross-Section Reduction,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol.55, No.12, 2007.
-  O. Sakai, et al., “Negative Refractive Index Designed in a Periodic Composite of Lossy Microplasmas and Microresonators,” Phys. Plasmas, Vol.17, pp. 057102-1-9, 2010.
-  S. A. Ramakrishna, “Physics of Negative Refractive Index Materials,” Institute of Physics Publishing, Rep. Prog. Phys. 68, pp. 449-521, 2005.
-  T. K. Ostman, et al., “A Review on Terahertz Communications Research,” J. of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol.32, Issue 2, pp. 143-171, 2011.
-  M. J. Madou, “Fundamentals of Microfabrication: The Science of Minituarization, Second Edition,” CRC Press LLC, 2002.
-  H. Misawa, et al., “3D Laser Microfabrication: Principles and Applications,” Wiley-VCH 2006.
-  T. Hayashi, et al., “LCD Microstereolithography of Photosensitive Resin with Functional Particles,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 182-189, 2008.
-  T. Nakagawa, “Technological Trends of Rapid Tooling by Layer Laminate Manufacturing,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.6, 1997.
-  A. Tseng, “Recent developments in micromilling using focused ion beam technology,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.14, R15-34, 2004
-  A. Fujishima, et al., “Electrochemical Photolysis of Water at a Semiconductor Electrode,” Nature, Vol.238, pp. 37-38, 1972.
-  M. Okuno, et al., “A Novel Micrifabrication Technique for Threedimensional Metal Structures by Photocatalysis,” Proc. of the 21st American Society for Precision Engineering Annual Meeting, pp. 301-304, 2006.
-  K. Matsuda, et al., “Development of In-process Visualization System for Laser-assisted Three Dimensional Microfabrication Using Photocatalyst Nanoparticles,” Int. J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.11, Issue 6, pp. 811-815, 2010.
-  K. Miyake, “The Present Conditions of Rinse and Drying by Supercritical CO2 Fluid,” Micro Electronics Symp. 16, 2006.
-  H. Yoshigoe, et al., “Experimental Analysis of Laser-Assisted Microfabrication Using TiO2 Nanoparticles,” Proc. of the 13th euspen Int. Conf., 2013.
-  J.W. Gibbs, et al., “The Collected Works of J.Willard Gibbs,” Yale University Press, 1957.
-  N. Eustathopoulos, “Energetics of Solid/Liquid Interfaces of metals and alloys,” The Metals Society and the American Society for Metals, Vol.28, pp. 189-210(22), 1983.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.