Development of an Innovative Power-Assist Omni-Directional Mobile Bed Considering Operator’s Characteristics
Yuki Ueno*1, Hideo Kitagawa*2, Kiyoaki Kakihara*3,
Toshio Sakakibara*4, and Kazuhiko Terashima*1
*1Toyohashi University of Technology, 1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
*2Gifu National College of Technology, 2236-2 Kamimakuwa, Motosu, Gifu 501-0495, Japan
*3KER CO., LTD., 215 Yutakagaoka, Toyokawa, Aichi 442-0808, Japan
*4Fukushimura Hospital, 19-14 Yamanaka, Noyori, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8124, Japan
In welfare facilities, although wheelchairs are commonly used for transferring patients, there are many cases in which patients are transferred while lying on beds because it is burdensome for caregivers to move a patient from a bed to a wheelchair. However, the task of moving a bed with a patient lying on it is still physically burdensome for caregivers. Hence in this study, we developed a power-assist omni-directional mobile bed to reduce the burden associated with this task. This paper reports a novel prototype of the omnidirectional power-assist bed and describes the prototype’s design, mechanism and control-system configuration. In addition, we report on experiments that were conducted to verify the effectiveness and usefulness of the omni-directional mobile bed, as well as the adaptability of the omni-directional power-assist system.
Toshio Sakakibara, and Kazuhiko Terashima, “Development of an Innovative Power-Assist Omni-Directional Mobile Bed Considering Operator’s Characteristics,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.3, pp. 490-499, 2014.
-  T. Miyoshi, A. Niinuma, K. Terashima, and Y. Miyashita, “Development of Industry Oriented Power-Assisted System and Comparison with Conventional Machine,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 692-699, 2009.
-  Y. Yamada, H. Konosu, T. Morizono, and Y. Umetani, “Proposal of Skill-Assist: a system of assisting human workers by reflecting their skills in positioning tasks,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.4, pp. 11-16, 1999.
-  N. Takesue, H.Murayama, K. Fujiwara, K. Matsumoto, H. Konosu, and H. Fujimoto, “Kinesthetic Assistance for Improving Task Performance – The Case of Window Installation Assist –,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 663-670, 2009.
-  K. Tomita, K. Sakae, and J. Yasuda, “Low Back Load Reduction Using Mechanical Lift during Transfer of Patients: A Validation Study Designed to the Acquired Skill for Caregivers,” J. of Occupational Health, Vol.50, No.4, pp. 103-110, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  K. Iwakiri, M. Takahashi, M. Sotoyama, M. Hirata, and N. Hisanaga, “Usage Survey of Care Equipment in Care Service Facilities for the Elderly,” J. of Occupational Health, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 12-20, 2007. (in Japanese)
-  T. Mukai, S. Hirano, M. Yoshida, H. Nakashima, Y. Kato, Y. Sakaida, S. Guo, and S. Hosoe, “Generation of Human Care Behaviors by Human-Interactive Robot RI-MAN,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3128-3129, 2007.
-  T. Mukai, S. Hirano, M. Yoshida, H. Nakashima, Y. Kato, Y. Sakaida, S. Guo, and S. Hosoe, “Development of a Nursing-Care Assistant Robot RIBA That Can Lift a Human in Its Arms,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5996-6001, 2010.
-  S. Mascaro and H. H. Asada, “Docking Control of Holonomic Omnidirectional Vehicles With Applications to a Hybrid Wheelchair/Bed System,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 399-405, 1998.
-  Y. Kume, T. Shimoda, A. Ohta, S. Tsukada, H. Kawakami, M. Nakamura, J. Suzurikawa, and T. Inoue, “Development of Transfer Assist Robot System Supporting Self-Reliant Life,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 417-424, 2013.
-  Burke Inc., Impulse Drive,http://www.burkebariatric.com/BB3ImpulseDrive.html/ [accessed Apr. 18, 2014]
-  U. Borgolte, H. Hoyer, C. Buhler, and H. Heck, “Architectural Concepts of a Semi-autonomous Wheelchair,” J. of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol.22, pp. 233-253, 1998.
-  M. West and H. Asada, “Design and Control of Ball Wheel Omnidirectional Vehicles,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1931-1938, 1995.
-  M. Wada, Y. Tominaga, and S. Mori, “Omnidirectional Holonomic Mobile Robot Using Nonholonomic Wheels,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.3, pp. 446-453, 1995.
-  C. Zhu, M. Oda, M. Yoshioka, T. Nishikawa, S. Shimazu, and X. Luo, “Admittance control based walking support and power assistance of an omnidirectional wheelchair typed robot,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), pp. 381-386, 2010.
-  H. Maeda, S. Fujiwara, H. Kitano, H. Yamashita, and H. Fukunaga, “Control of an Omni-directional Power-assisted Cart,” JSME Int. J. Series C Mechanical Systems, Machine Elements and Manufacturing, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 931-937, 2003.
-  T. Takubo, H. Arai, K. Tanie, and T. Arai, “Human-Robot Cooperative Handling Using Variable Virtual Nonholonomic Constraint,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 653-662, 2009.
-  Y. Kondo, T. Miyoshi, K. Terashima, and H. Kitagawa, “Navigation Guidance Control Using Haptic Feedback for Obstacle Avoidance of Omni-directional Wheelchair,” Symp. on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environments and Teleoperator Systems, pp. 374-444, 2008.
-  H. Kitagawa, K. Terashima, T. Miyoshi, S. Kitamura, and J. Urbano, “Neuro-Fuzzy Control of Power-Assist Omnidirectional Wheelchair Using Human-Friendly Touch Panel,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 427-434, 2009.
-  Y. Ueno, T. Ohno, K. Terashima, and H. Kitagawa, “The Development of Driving Steering System with Differential Drive Steering System for Omni-Directional Mobile Robot,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.78, No.789, pp. 1872-1885, 2012.
-  H. Seki, T. Sugimoto, and S. Tadakuma, “Novel Straight Road Driving Control of Power Assisted Wheelchair Based on Disturbance Estimation and Minimum Jerk Control,” IAS Annual Meeting Industry Applications Conf., Vol.3, pp. 1711-1717, 2005.