Cubic Spline Trajectory Planning and Vibration Suppression of Semiconductor Wafer Transfer Robot Arm
Wisnu Aribowo and Kazuhiko Terashima
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Toyohashi University of Technology, 1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku-cho, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
Vibration-free motion in minimal time is desired for industrial robotic applications. Hence, these criteria have to be considered during trajectory planning for a robot arm, wherein polynomial splines are often used for interpolating the trajectory through several via points. Among polynomial splines, the cubic spline is the lowest-degree spline that can provide jerk limitation, a feature that is important for reducing vibration during motion. However, using jerk limitation alone does not eliminate vibration completely and sometimes restricts the performance of industrial robots. This paper proposes an implementation of cubic spline optimization with free via points for reducing motion time, combined with input shaping for suppressing vibration. Experiments are conducted on a semiconductor wafer transfer robot arm to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
-  K. G. Shin and N. D. McKay, “A dynamic programming approach to trajectory planning of robotic manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.AC-31, No.6, pp. 491-511, 1986.
-  C. S. Lin, P.R. Chang, and J. Y. S. Luh, “Formulation and optimization of cubic polynomial joint trajectories for industrial robots,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.AC-28, No.12, pp. 1066-1074, 1983.
-  A. Piazzi and A. Visioli, “Global minimum-jerk trajectory planning of robot manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.47, No.1, pp. 140-149, 2000.
-  A. Gasparetto and V. Zanotto, “A technique for time-jerk optimal planning of robot trajectories,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 415-426, 2008.
-  A. Gasparetto, A. Lanzutti, R. Vidoni, and V. Zanotto, “Experimental validation and comparative analysis of optimal time-jerk algorithms for trajectory planning,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 164-181, 2012.
-  T. Chettibi, H. E. Lehtihet, M. Haddad, and S. Hanchi, “Minimum cost trajectory planning for industrial robot,” European J. of Mechanics – A/Solids, Vol.23, No. 4, pp. 703-715, 2004.
-  J. Z. Kolter and A. Y. Ng, “Task-space trajectories via cubic spline optimization,” 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1675-1682, May 2009.
-  B. Demeulenaere, G. Pipeleers, J. De Caigny, J. Swevers, J. De Schutter, and L. Vandenberghe, “Optimal splines for rigid motion systems: a convex programming framework,” J. of Mechanical Design, Vol.131, No.10, pp. 101004-101004-11, 2009.
-  B. Demeulenaere, J. De Caigny, G. Pipeleers, J. De Schutter, and J. Swevers, “Optimal splines for rigid motion systems: benchmarking and extenstions,” J. of Mechanical Design, Vol.131, No.10, pp. 101005-101005-13, 2009.
-  O. J. M. Smith, “Posicast control of damped oscillatory systems,” Proc. of the IRE, Vol.45, No.9, pp. 1249-1255, 1957.
-  N. C. Singer and W. P. Seering, “Preshaping command inputs to reduce system vibration,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.112, pp. 76-82, 1990.
-  T. Singh and S. R. Vadali, “Robust time-delay control,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.115, pp. 303-306, 1993.
-  W. Aribowo, T. Yamashita, K. Terashima, Y. Masui, T. Saeki, T. Kamigaki, and H. Kawamura, “Vibration control of semiconductor wafer transfer robot by building an integrated tool of parameter identification and input shaping,” 2011 IFAC World Congress, pp. 14367-14373, Aug. 2011.
-  M. D. Duong, K. Terashima, T. Kamigaki, and H. Kawamura, “Development of a vibration suppression GUI tool based on input preshaping and its application to semiconductor wafer transfer robot,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 479-485, 2008.
-  L. Biagiotti and C. Melchiorri, “FIR filters for online trajectory planning with time- and frequency-domain specifications,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.20, No.12, pp. 1385-1399, 2012.
-  N. Uchiyama, K. Mori, K. Terashima, T. Saeki, T. Kamigaki, and H. Kawamura, “Optimal motion trajectory generation and real-time trajectory modification for an industrial robot working in a rectangular space,” J. of System Design and Dynamics, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 278-292, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.