Motion Analysis of McKibben Type Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscle with Finite Element Method
Takashi Nozaki* and Toshiro Noritsugu**
*Shizuoka Institute of Science and Technology, 2200-2 Toyosawa, Fukuroi, Shizuoka 437-8555, Japan
**Tsuyama National College of Technology, 624-1 Numa, Tsuyama-City, Okayama 708-8509, Japan
This study aims to use three-dimensional (3D) Finite Element Modeling (FEM) to establish a quantitative design optimization method forMcKibben-type pneumatic rubber artificial muscle. First, a simple 3D model that does not account for the friction between the tube and the fiber braid strands and or that between the strands themselves is developed. The model is validated through experimentation, and the usefulness of the model is examined. With this model, the effects of various parameters, e.g., the braid angle, on the operation of the artificial muscle is investigated. It is found that the characteristics of the artificial muscle can be predicted. Thus, the proposed analysis may be a useful design method for braided artificial muscles.
-  T. Noritsugu, “Robot Engineering and Soft Material,” J. of the Society of Rubber Science and Technology, Japan, Vol.78, No.8, pp. 295-300, 2005.
-  T. Noritsugu, “Introduction for Symposium on Human Support Type Robot,” The Lecture Outline of Symp. on Human Support Type Robot, Okayama, Sep. 16, 2008.
-  T. Noritsugu, “Major machine element selection guide, Pneumatic actuator,” Machine Design, Vol.49, No.6, pp. 68-71, 2005.
-  T. Noritsugu, “Therecent Research Trend of Pneumatic Device and System,” Machine Design, Vol.43, No.2, pp. 2-5, 1999.
-  T. Noritsugu, “The Front Line of Development of SoftActuator, Structure and Application of Air Pressure TypeSoft Actuator,” pp. 291-292.
-  “Manual for the Rubber Industry,” the fourth Ed., the Society of Rubber Science and Technology, pp. 9-50.
-  S. Miyata, T. Tsujii, T. Hashimoto, and H. Kobayashi, “Development of Pneumatic Artificial MuscleManipulator with Feedforward and Feedback Control,” Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.74, No.748, pp. 3004-3011, Dec. 2008.
-  T. Otani, T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, and D. Sasaki, “Development of Muscle String and its Application to Active Supporter,” Trans. of JSME, No.055-1, Mar. 2005.
-  T. Noritsugu, “Application to Robot Control of Rubber Artificial Muscle,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.9, pp. 502-506, 1991.
-  S. Wakimoto, K. Suzumori, and T. Kanda, “Development of Intelligent McKibben Actuator,” Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.71, No.709, pp. 2754-2760, Sep. 2005.
-  T. Akagi and S. Dohta, “Development of McKibben Artificial Muscle with a Long Stroke Motion,” Trans. of JSME, Series C, Vol.73, No.735, pp. 2996-3002, Nov. 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.