Measurement of Cutting Edge Width of a Rotary Cutting Tool by Using a Laser Displacement Sensor
So Ito*, Sho Sekine*, Yuki Shimizu*, Wei Gao*,
Tsutomu Fukuda**, Akira Kato**, and Kouji Kubota**
*Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
**MMC RYOTEC CORPORATION, 1528 Yokoinakashinden, Godo-cho, Anpachi-gun, Gifu 503-2301, Japan
This paper introduces the widthmeasurement of a cutting tool edge by utilizing a laser triangulation displacement sensor. By using the reflected light intensity of the laser displacement sensor, micrometric edge width which is smaller than the diameter of the laser beam spot can be measured. With regard to the quantitative evaluation of the laser spot diameter, a calibration method of the laser spot diameter is achieved by using the pin-gauges. The diameter of the laser spot is obtained by using the pin-gauges, and the relationship between the reflected light intensity and the diameter of the pin-gauges are investigated. The width of the cutting tool edge is measured by the calibrated laser spot diameter, and then the reproducibility is evaluated.
-  L. M. Zhu, G. Zheng, and H. Ding, “Formulating the swept envelope of rotary cutter undergoing general spatial motion for multiaxis NC machining,” Int. J. Mach. Toold. Manuf., Vol.49, pp. 199-202, 2009.
-  W. Gao, “Precision Nanometrology: Sensors and Measuring Sytems for Nanomanufacturing,” Springer, 2010.
-  G. Byme, D. Dormfeld, and B. Denkena, “Advancing Cutting Technoligy,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, pp. 483-507, 2003.
-  G. Binnig, C. F. Quate, and Ch. Gerber, “Atomic Force Microscope,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.56, pp. 930-933, 1986.
-  T. R. Albrecht, P. Gruetter, D. Horne, and D. Rugar, “Reprinted with permission from Frequency modulation detection using high-Q cantilevers for enhanced force microscope sensitivity,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.69, pp. 668-673, 1991.
-  W. Gao, T. Asai, and Y. Arai, “Precision and fast measurement of 3D cutting edge profiles of single point diamod micro-tool,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, pp. 451-454, 2009.
-  T. Asai, T. Motoki, W. Gao, B. F. Ju, and S. Kiyono, “An AFMbased Edge Profile Measuring Instrument for Diamond Cutting Tools,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Man., Vol.8, pp. 54-58, 2007.
-  T. Asai, S. Ferdous, Y. Arai, Y. Yang, and W. Gao, “On-Machine Measurement of Tool Cutting Edge Profiles,” Int. J. Automot. Technol., Vol.3, pp. 408-414, 2009.
-  Y.Maeda, H. Uchida, and A. Yamamoto, “Measurement of the geometric features of a cutting tool edge with the aid of a digital image processing technique,” Precision Engineering, Vol.11, pp. 165-171, 1989.
-  S. Morita, Y. Watanabe, and H. Omori, “Non-contact on-machine measurement system using a laser probe,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abra, Tech., Vol.50, pp. 645-648, 2006.
-  R. Minhas, A. A. Mohammed, andW. Q.M. Jonathan, “Shape from focus using fast discrete curvelet transform,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.44, pp. 839-853, 2011.
-  G. A. Reilly, B. A. O. McCormack, and D. Taylor, “Cutting sharpness measurement: a critical review,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.153-154, pp. 261-266, 2004.
-  S. Osawa, S. Ito, Y. Shimizu, S. H. Jamg, W. Gao, T. Fukuda, A. Kato, and K. Kubota, “Cutting Edge Height Measurement of a Rotary Cutting Tool by a Laser Displacement Sensor,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Syst., Vol.6, pp. 815-828, 2012.
-  H. X. Song, X. D. Wang, L. Q. Ma, M. Z. Cai, and T. Z. Cao, “Design and Performance Analysis of Laser Displacement Sensor Based on Position Sensitive Detector (PSD),” J. Phys., Vol.48, pp. 217-222, 2006.
-  W. Gao and S. Kiyono, “Development of an optical probe for profile measurement of mirror surfaces,” Opt. Eng., Vol.36, pp. 3360-3366, 1997.