Measurement of Cutting Edge Width of a Rotary Cutting Tool by Using a Laser Displacement Sensor
So Ito*, Sho Sekine*, Yuki Shimizu*, Wei Gao*,
Tsutomu Fukuda**, Akira Kato**, and Kouji Kubota**
*Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
**MMC RYOTEC CORPORATION, 1528 Yokoinakashinden, Godo-cho, Anpachi-gun, Gifu 503-2301, Japan
-  L. M. Zhu, G. Zheng, and H. Ding, “Formulating the swept envelope of rotary cutter undergoing general spatial motion for multiaxis NC machining,” Int. J. Mach. Toold. Manuf., Vol.49, pp. 199-202, 2009.
-  W. Gao, “Precision Nanometrology: Sensors and Measuring Sytems for Nanomanufacturing,” Springer, 2010.
-  G. Byme, D. Dormfeld, and B. Denkena, “Advancing Cutting Technoligy,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, pp. 483-507, 2003.
-  G. Binnig, C. F. Quate, and Ch. Gerber, “Atomic Force Microscope,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.56, pp. 930-933, 1986.
-  T. R. Albrecht, P. Gruetter, D. Horne, and D. Rugar, “Reprinted with permission from Frequency modulation detection using high-Q cantilevers for enhanced force microscope sensitivity,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.69, pp. 668-673, 1991.
-  W. Gao, T. Asai, and Y. Arai, “Precision and fast measurement of 3D cutting edge profiles of single point diamod micro-tool,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, pp. 451-454, 2009.
-  T. Asai, T. Motoki, W. Gao, B. F. Ju, and S. Kiyono, “An AFMbased Edge Profile Measuring Instrument for Diamond Cutting Tools,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Man., Vol.8, pp. 54-58, 2007.
-  T. Asai, S. Ferdous, Y. Arai, Y. Yang, and W. Gao, “On-Machine Measurement of Tool Cutting Edge Profiles,” Int. J. Automot. Technol., Vol.3, pp. 408-414, 2009.
-  Y.Maeda, H. Uchida, and A. Yamamoto, “Measurement of the geometric features of a cutting tool edge with the aid of a digital image processing technique,” Precision Engineering, Vol.11, pp. 165-171, 1989.
-  S. Morita, Y. Watanabe, and H. Omori, “Non-contact on-machine measurement system using a laser probe,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abra, Tech., Vol.50, pp. 645-648, 2006.
-  R. Minhas, A. A. Mohammed, andW. Q.M. Jonathan, “Shape from focus using fast discrete curvelet transform,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.44, pp. 839-853, 2011.
-  G. A. Reilly, B. A. O. McCormack, and D. Taylor, “Cutting sharpness measurement: a critical review,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.153-154, pp. 261-266, 2004.
-  S. Osawa, S. Ito, Y. Shimizu, S. H. Jamg, W. Gao, T. Fukuda, A. Kato, and K. Kubota, “Cutting Edge Height Measurement of a Rotary Cutting Tool by a Laser Displacement Sensor,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Syst., Vol.6, pp. 815-828, 2012.
-  H. X. Song, X. D. Wang, L. Q. Ma, M. Z. Cai, and T. Z. Cao, “Design and Performance Analysis of Laser Displacement Sensor Based on Position Sensitive Detector (PSD),” J. Phys., Vol.48, pp. 217-222, 2006.
-  W. Gao and S. Kiyono, “Development of an optical probe for profile measurement of mirror surfaces,” Opt. Eng., Vol.36, pp. 3360-3366, 1997.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.