Error Calibration for Five-Axis Machine Tools by On-the-Machine Measurement Using a Touch-Trigger Probe
Soichi Ibaraki and Yusuke Ota
Department of Micro Engineering, Kyoto University, Katsura, Nishigyo-ku, Kyoto 616-8540, Japan
This paper presents a scheme to calibrate the error map of the rotary axes of a five-axis machine tool. This is done by means of on-the-machine measurement of a test piece using a contact-type touch-trigger probe. The present probing-based approach is more suitable for efficient and automated “self-calibration,” than conventional calibration schemes, such as ball bar tests or R-test. It is thus advantageous in the application to periodic checking of the error map, or periodic updating of its numerical compensation. In the present approach, a test piece of arbitrary geometry, e.g. a raw unmachined workpiece, can be used as the probing target. An experimental demonstration is presented.
-  S. Ibaraki and W. Knapp, “Indirect Measurement of Volumetric Accuracy for Three-axis and Five-axis Machine Tools: A Review,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, 2012.
-  H. Schwenke, W. Knapp, H. Haitjema, A. Weckenmann, R. Schmitt, and F. Delbressine, “Geometric error measurement and compensation of machines – An update,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 560-575, 2008.
-  ISO/DIS 10791-1:2013, “Test conditions for machining centres – Part 1: Geometric tests for machines with horizontal spindle and with accessory heads (horizontal Z-axis).”
-  Y. Kakino, Y. Ihara, H. Sato, and H. Otsubo, “A Study on the motion accuracy of NC machine tools (7th report) – Measurement of motion accuracy of 5-axis machine by DBB tests –,” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.60, No.5, pp. 718-723, 1994. (in Japanese)
-  M. Tsutsumi and A. Saito, “Identification and compensation of systematic deviations particular to 5-axis machining centers,” Int’l J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.43, Issue 8, pp. 771-780, 2003.
-  ISO/DIS 10791-6:2012, “Test conditions for machining centres – Part 6: Accuracy of speeds and interpolations.”
-  S. Weikert, “R-Test, a New Device for Accuracy Measurements on Five Axis Machine Tools,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 429-432, 2004.
-  S. Ibaraki, C. Oyama, and H. Otsubo, “Construction of an error map of rotary axes on a five-axis machining center by static R-test,” Int’l J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.51, Issue 3, pp. 190-200, 2011.
-  ISO 230-10:2011, “Test code for machine tools – Part 10: Determination of measuring performance of probing systems of numerically controlled machine tools.”
-  US Patent, US 7278222, “Method for measuring a programcontrolled machine tool,” 2007.
-  ISO 10360-3:2000, “Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Acceptance and reverification tests for coordinate measuring machines (CMM) – Part 3: CMMs with the axis of a rotary table as the fourth axis.”
-  T. Erkan, J. R. R. Mayer, and Y. Dupont, “Volumetric distortion assessment of a five-axis machine by probing a 3D reconfigurable uncalibrated master ball artefact,” Precision Engineering, Vol.35, pp. 116-125, 2011.
-  T. Matsushita and T. Oki, “Identification of Geometric Errors in Five-axis Controlled Machine Tool with Touch Trigger Probe,” Proc. of the 2010 Spring JSPE Semiannual meeting, pp. 1105-1106, 2010. (in Japanese)
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Iritani, and T. Matsushita, “Calibration of location errors of rotary axes on five-axis machine tools by on-the-machine measurement using a touch-trigger probe,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.58, pp. 44-53, 2012.
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Iritani, and T. Matsushita, “Error map construction for rotary axes on five-axis machine tools by on-the-machine measurement using a touch-trigger probe,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.68, pp. 21-29, 2013.
-  ISO 230-1:2012, “Test code for machine tools – Part 1: Geometric accuracy of machines operating under no-load or quasi-static conditions.”
-  ISO 230-7:2006, “Test code for machine tools – Part 7: Geometric accuracy of axes of rotation,” 2006.
-  C. Hong, S. Ibaraki, and A. Matsubara, “Influence of Positiondependent Geometric Errors of Rotary Axes on a Machining Test of Cone Frustum by Five-axis Machine Tools,” Precision Engineering, Vol.35, Issue 1, pp. 1-11, 2011.
-  I. Inasaki, K. Kishinami, S. Sakamoto, N. Sugimura, Y. Takeuchi, and F. Tanaka, “Shaper generation theory of machine tools – its basis and applications,” Yokendo, Tokyo, 1997. (in Japanese)
-  Renishaw, OMP400 optical machine probe systems,
http://www.renishaw.com [Accessed Dec. 9, 2013]
-  ISO 230-2:1997, “Test code for machine tools – Part 2: Determination of accuracy and repeatability of positioning numerically controlled axes,” 1997.
-  Y. Ota and S. Ibaraki, “A machining test for identifying error motions of 5-axis machining center,” Proc. of JSPE Spring Meeting, 2013.
-  B. Bringmann andW. Knapp, “Machine tool calibration: Geometric test uncertainty depends on machine tool performance,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, pp. 524-529, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.