A Framework for Systematizing Machine Tool Engineering
Hidenori Shinno, Hayato Yoshioka, and Hiroshi Sawano
Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259-G2-19 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
The demand for machine tools with accuracy on a nanometer scale has been increasing in a wide range of industries. Machine tools have been called “mother machines” in that they produce various other devices. In order to meet the requirements of industry, numerous research activities have been conducted to develop various technologies related to machine tools. However, there are only few established technologies in spite of the machine tool industry’s long history. A new approach to systematizing machine tool engineering is playing an increasingly important role in the development of innovative machine tools. This paper presents a conceptual framework for systematizing machine tool engineering. Future evolutionary trends in machine tool engineering are also described.
-  S. Yorke, “The Industrial Revolution Explained,” Cambridge University Press, 2005.
-  K. Allwang, “Werkzeugmaschinen,” Deutsches Museum, 1989.
-  H. Shinno et al., “X –Y –θ Nano-Positioning Table System for a Mother Machine,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 337-340, 2004.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, S. Marpaung, and S. Hachiga, “Quantitative SWOT Analysis on Global Competitiveness of Machine Tool Industry,” Journal of Engineering Design, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 251-258, 2006.
-  JMTBA, “Machine Tool Industry Vision 2020,” Japan Machine Tool Builders’ Association, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  H. Shinno and H. Hashizume, “Structured Method for Identifying Success Factors in New Product Development of Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.51, No.1, pp. 281-284, 2002.
-  F. Koenigsberger and J. Tlusty, “Machine Tool Structure,” Vol.1, Pergamon Press, 1970.
-  D. N. Reshetov and V. T. Portman, “Accuracy of Machine Tools,” ASME Press, 1988.
-  Y. Ito, “Modular Design for Machine Tools,” McGraw-Hill, 2008.
-  Y. Ito and H. Shinno, “Structural Description and Similarity Evaluation of the Structural Configuration in Machine Tools,” International Journal of Machine Tool Design and Research, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 97-110, 1982.
-  D. T. Pham, “Artificial Intelligence in Design,” Springer-Verlag, 1991.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and S. Marpaung, “A Structured Method for Analyzing Product Specification in Product Planning for Machine Tools,” Journal of Engineering Design, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 347-356, 2006.
-  S. A. Tobias, “Machine Tool Vibration Research,” International Journal of Machine Tool Design and Research, Vol.12, Nos.1-2, pp. 1-14, 1961.
-  H. Shinno, H. Hashizume, Y. Ito, and C. Sato, “Structural Configuration and Performances of Machining Environment-Controlled Untraprecision Diamond Turning Machine ‘Capsule’,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 425-428, 1992.
-  G. Park, M. T. Bement, D. A. Hartman, R. E. Smith, and C. R. Farrar, “The Use of Active Materials for Machining Processes: A Review,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, No.15, pp. 2189-2206, 2007.
-  H. Yoshioka, H. Hashizume, and H. Shinno, “In-Process Microsensor for Ultraprecision Machining,” IEE Proceedings of Science, Measurement & Technology, Vol.151, No.2, pp. 121-125, 2004.
-  C. Evance, “Precision Engineering: an Evolutionary View,” Cranfield Press, 1989.
-  A. H. Slocum, “Precision Machine Design,” Prentice-Hall, 1992.
-  C. Brecher, M. Esser, and S. Witt, “Interaction of Manufacturing Process and Machine Tool,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 588-607, 2009.
-  S. Ibaraki and W. Knapp, “Indirect Measurement of Volumetric Accuracy for Three-Axis and Five-Axis Machine Tools: A Review,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 110-124, 2012.
-  Y. Ito, H. Shinno, and S. Nakanishi, “Designer’s Thinking Pattern in the Basic Layout Design Procedure of Machine Tools – Validity Evaluation of Thinking Block,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 141-144, 1989.
-  T. Tomiyama, P. Gu, Y. Jin, D. Lutters, Ch. Kind, and F. Kimura, “Design Methodologies: Industrial and Educational Applications,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 543-565, 2009.
-  Y. Altintas, C. Brecher, M. Weck, and S. Witt, “Virtual Machine Tool,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 651-674, 2005.
-  H. Yoshioka and H. Shinno, “Design Concept and Structural Configuration of Advanced Nano-Pattern Generator with Large Work Area ‘ANGEL’,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 38-44, 2011.
-  R. Neugebauer, B. Denkena, and K. Wegener, “Mechatronic Systems for Machine Tool,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.56, No.2, pp. 657-686, 2007.
-  W. Goepel, J. Hesse, and N. Zencl, “Sensors – Comprehensive Survey,” VCH Verlagsgesellshaft, 1994.
-  Y. Ito (Ed.) et al., “Thermal Deformation in Machine Tools,” McGraw-Hill, 2010.
-  J. Mayr et al., “Thermal Issues in Machine Tools,” CIRP Annals –Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 771-791, 2012.
-  H. Shinno and Y. Ito, “Computer Aided Concept Design for Structural Configuration of Machine Tools: Variant Design Using Directed Graph,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Mechanisms, Transmission, and Automation in Design, Vol.109, No.3, pp. 372-376, 1987.
-  M. Nakaminami, T. Tokuma, T. Moriwaki, and K. Nakamoto, “Optimal Structure DesignMethodology for Compound Multi Axis Machine Tools – I – Analysis of Requirements and Specifications,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 78-86, 2007.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and H. Sawano, “A Newly Developed Long Range Positioning Table System with a Sub-nanometer Resolution,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 403-406, 2011.
-  E. Abele, Y. Altintas, and C. Brecher, “Machine Tool Spindle Units,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, No.2, pp. 781-802, 2010.
-  T. Shinshi, K. Sato, and A. Shimokohbe, “A Compact Aerostatic Spindle Integrated with an Axial Positioning Actuator for Micro and Ultra-Precision Machine Tools,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 56-63, 2007.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and M. Hayashi, “A High Performance Tilting Platform Driven by Hybrid Actuator,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vo.58, No.1, pp. 363-366, 2009.
-  T. Moriwaki, “Multi-function Machine Tool,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 736-749, 2008.
-  R. P. Donaldson and S. R. Patterson, “Design and Construction of a Large, Vertical Axis Diamond Turning Machine,” SPIE’s 27th Annual International Technical Symposium and Instrument Display, pp. 21-26, 1983.
-  J. B. Bryan, “The Abbe Principle Revisited – An Updated Interpretation,” Precision Engineering, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 129-132, 1989.
-  K. Kurisaki, H. Sawano, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A Newly Developed X-Y Planar Nano-Motion Table System with Large Travel Ranges,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 976-984, 2010.
-  M. Takahashi, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A Newly Developed Long-Stroke Vertical Nano-Motion Platform with Gravity Compensator,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, andManufacturing, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 356-365, 2008.
-  H. Shinno, H. Hashizume, and H. Yoshioka, “Sensor-less Monitoring of Cutting Force during Ultraprecision Machining,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, No.1, pp. 303-306, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.