A Framework for Systematizing Machine Tool Engineering
Hidenori Shinno, Hayato Yoshioka, and Hiroshi Sawano
Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259-G2-19 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
-  S. Yorke, “The Industrial Revolution Explained,” Cambridge University Press, 2005.
-  K. Allwang, “Werkzeugmaschinen,” Deutsches Museum, 1989.
-  H. Shinno et al., “X –Y –θ Nano-Positioning Table System for a Mother Machine,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 337-340, 2004.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, S. Marpaung, and S. Hachiga, “Quantitative SWOT Analysis on Global Competitiveness of Machine Tool Industry,” Journal of Engineering Design, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 251-258, 2006.
-  JMTBA, “Machine Tool Industry Vision 2020,” Japan Machine Tool Builders’ Association, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  H. Shinno and H. Hashizume, “Structured Method for Identifying Success Factors in New Product Development of Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.51, No.1, pp. 281-284, 2002.
-  F. Koenigsberger and J. Tlusty, “Machine Tool Structure,” Vol.1, Pergamon Press, 1970.
-  D. N. Reshetov and V. T. Portman, “Accuracy of Machine Tools,” ASME Press, 1988.
-  Y. Ito, “Modular Design for Machine Tools,” McGraw-Hill, 2008.
-  Y. Ito and H. Shinno, “Structural Description and Similarity Evaluation of the Structural Configuration in Machine Tools,” International Journal of Machine Tool Design and Research, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 97-110, 1982.
-  D. T. Pham, “Artificial Intelligence in Design,” Springer-Verlag, 1991.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and S. Marpaung, “A Structured Method for Analyzing Product Specification in Product Planning for Machine Tools,” Journal of Engineering Design, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 347-356, 2006.
-  S. A. Tobias, “Machine Tool Vibration Research,” International Journal of Machine Tool Design and Research, Vol.12, Nos.1-2, pp. 1-14, 1961.
-  H. Shinno, H. Hashizume, Y. Ito, and C. Sato, “Structural Configuration and Performances of Machining Environment-Controlled Untraprecision Diamond Turning Machine ‘Capsule’,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 425-428, 1992.
-  G. Park, M. T. Bement, D. A. Hartman, R. E. Smith, and C. R. Farrar, “The Use of Active Materials for Machining Processes: A Review,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, No.15, pp. 2189-2206, 2007.
-  H. Yoshioka, H. Hashizume, and H. Shinno, “In-Process Microsensor for Ultraprecision Machining,” IEE Proceedings of Science, Measurement & Technology, Vol.151, No.2, pp. 121-125, 2004.
-  C. Evance, “Precision Engineering: an Evolutionary View,” Cranfield Press, 1989.
-  A. H. Slocum, “Precision Machine Design,” Prentice-Hall, 1992.
-  C. Brecher, M. Esser, and S. Witt, “Interaction of Manufacturing Process and Machine Tool,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 588-607, 2009.
-  S. Ibaraki and W. Knapp, “Indirect Measurement of Volumetric Accuracy for Three-Axis and Five-Axis Machine Tools: A Review,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 110-124, 2012.
-  Y. Ito, H. Shinno, and S. Nakanishi, “Designer’s Thinking Pattern in the Basic Layout Design Procedure of Machine Tools – Validity Evaluation of Thinking Block,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 141-144, 1989.
-  T. Tomiyama, P. Gu, Y. Jin, D. Lutters, Ch. Kind, and F. Kimura, “Design Methodologies: Industrial and Educational Applications,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 543-565, 2009.
-  Y. Altintas, C. Brecher, M. Weck, and S. Witt, “Virtual Machine Tool,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 651-674, 2005.
-  H. Yoshioka and H. Shinno, “Design Concept and Structural Configuration of Advanced Nano-Pattern Generator with Large Work Area ‘ANGEL’,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 38-44, 2011.
-  R. Neugebauer, B. Denkena, and K. Wegener, “Mechatronic Systems for Machine Tool,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.56, No.2, pp. 657-686, 2007.
-  W. Goepel, J. Hesse, and N. Zencl, “Sensors – Comprehensive Survey,” VCH Verlagsgesellshaft, 1994.
-  Y. Ito (Ed.) et al., “Thermal Deformation in Machine Tools,” McGraw-Hill, 2010.
-  J. Mayr et al., “Thermal Issues in Machine Tools,” CIRP Annals –Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 771-791, 2012.
-  H. Shinno and Y. Ito, “Computer Aided Concept Design for Structural Configuration of Machine Tools: Variant Design Using Directed Graph,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Mechanisms, Transmission, and Automation in Design, Vol.109, No.3, pp. 372-376, 1987.
-  M. Nakaminami, T. Tokuma, T. Moriwaki, and K. Nakamoto, “Optimal Structure DesignMethodology for Compound Multi Axis Machine Tools – I – Analysis of Requirements and Specifications,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 78-86, 2007.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and H. Sawano, “A Newly Developed Long Range Positioning Table System with a Sub-nanometer Resolution,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 403-406, 2011.
-  E. Abele, Y. Altintas, and C. Brecher, “Machine Tool Spindle Units,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, No.2, pp. 781-802, 2010.
-  T. Shinshi, K. Sato, and A. Shimokohbe, “A Compact Aerostatic Spindle Integrated with an Axial Positioning Actuator for Micro and Ultra-Precision Machine Tools,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 56-63, 2007.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and M. Hayashi, “A High Performance Tilting Platform Driven by Hybrid Actuator,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vo.58, No.1, pp. 363-366, 2009.
-  T. Moriwaki, “Multi-function Machine Tool,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 736-749, 2008.
-  R. P. Donaldson and S. R. Patterson, “Design and Construction of a Large, Vertical Axis Diamond Turning Machine,” SPIE’s 27th Annual International Technical Symposium and Instrument Display, pp. 21-26, 1983.
-  J. B. Bryan, “The Abbe Principle Revisited – An Updated Interpretation,” Precision Engineering, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 129-132, 1989.
-  K. Kurisaki, H. Sawano, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A Newly Developed X-Y Planar Nano-Motion Table System with Large Travel Ranges,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 976-984, 2010.
-  M. Takahashi, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A Newly Developed Long-Stroke Vertical Nano-Motion Platform with Gravity Compensator,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, andManufacturing, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 356-365, 2008.
-  H. Shinno, H. Hashizume, and H. Yoshioka, “Sensor-less Monitoring of Cutting Force during Ultraprecision Machining,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, No.1, pp. 303-306, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.